PDA

View Full Version : How did they do that???

Infinity3d4life
02-25-2003, 09:16 PM
If any of you have seen the commercials or the movie called "Spy Kids 2" the effect that i am trying to do is when the kids unveil their watches and all these neat little digital screens and radars project out and follow the actors arm movements? I have seen this effect done more than once but that is the only example that i can think of right now.. I would like to know what programs could be used for something like this.. ??

Chris
02-25-2003, 10:28 PM
You could either fake it with a 21/2d program like Combustion (you would create your holoscreen, get the perspective sorta right & then use the 2D tracker to get it to follow the actors)

Or you could go fully 3d & create a proxy arm in a 3d software like Max, Lightwave Maya etc. You could then create your 3d screens, animate them, match the 3d camera moves, match the proxy arm movements with the actors arm movements, render an alpha channeled sequence & composite over the top of the live video

Infinity3d4life
02-26-2003, 12:02 AM
woooo...thanks for the reply... Do you know of any tutes on how to create those neat little holoscreens?

Chris
02-26-2003, 12:39 AM
I havent seen any around - Creative cow had a tut on making Holograms (aka StarWars) which could be relevant (basically scanlines, glow, 'screen' transfer mode)

I'd do up your screen flat on first, & animate all your flashing cursors, crosshairs, moving windows, scrolling type etc, then render it out with an alpha channel.

Then, depending on whether you go 2D, 3D or a combination, you can use that movie or frame sequence - either skewed into position, or as a texture map on a 3D object - just play around with different transfer modes to get your look

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.