PDA

View Full Version : Maya Python with an IDE?Anyone?

NolanSW
02-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Anybody found an IDE or is using an IDE that will work with Maya's new Python modules? Since I'm trying to still learn Python and the Maya API, I'd love to have an autoComplete for maya's new python libraries. For instance, if I have a call:

import OpenMaya as maya
maya. <- drop down of funtions after the dot

I guess similar to say like wingIDE. There are these ".pi" files in the wingIDE directory that has these def functions for the different libraries like os, math, sys....and so on. It would be great if there was ones for Maya as well.

Does this make sence? I guess what I'm looking for is as intergrated Python shell that will expose Maya's Python API.

-Sean

skippye
02-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Hi,

You can use eclipse and add pydev (http://pydev.sourceforge.net/) plugin. You will have autocompletion, and some other nice features.

Hope it helps!

NolanSW
02-09-2007, 06:53 PM
I'll give it a whirl. Have you used it yet for Maya Python yet?
Thanks for the link!

nessus
02-09-2007, 07:56 PM
I would recommend eclipse with python plugin also. its free anyways, so it wouldnt hurt to try out.

for a more comprehensive reviews and comparisons of python ide/duggers, you can go to python's official site, they do have articles on that. for both commercial and open source

NolanSW
02-10-2007, 06:40 AM
So, I tried the Eclipse program. Has some nice features but not as robust as I want. I think that wingIDE is actually closer to want I'm looking for since it's editor is actually intergrated in a python shell. So as I import a module and create an object, it's functions as shown for me. I'm trying to get OpenMaya, OpenMayaUI....module's functions to show up as well. Maybe they were compiled differently than other modules? Eh, I'll keep at it.

micle
04-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Any news??
I try with eclipse but there's no way to have the autocomplete with all the function....

:sad:

rbublitz
05-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Check out my plugins and syntax highlighting modes for jEdit on Highend3D. I specifically wrote a new pythonMaya mode that incorporates the Maya commands and API classes for python files. Also 4.3 has a new Complete Word function - autocomplete.

micle
06-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Hey
I'm a bit late... anyway thanks a lot
very appreciate :thumbsup:

DangerAhead
06-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Does anyone know where to find the syntax highlighting for MEL in Eclipse?

I love eclipse's jumping ability to jump to the function by CTRL-clicking on the function name. Jedit does it to, but you have to search the "ALT + ." list to see which one is the proc.

So JEdit is a little slower.

CGTalk Moderation
06-19-2007, 09:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.