here is one screenshot
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/5976/screeenieij3.jpg

comments and crits are very welcome
P.S.: if someone is using mudbox i will like to hear their experience aswell

cheers

almost forgot basic mesh modeled in Maya

newellteapot
02-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Hi! Thanks for sharing, that looks cool. I was wondering, have you also tried zbrush? and if yes, what differences and similarities did you find?

Cheers
Monica

Butsa
02-09-2007, 08:33 PM
first thanks for reply

and yes i have tried zbrush
mudbox is sculpting tool as i like to call it
its capable of handeling large numbers of polys same as zbrush
personaly for me its easier to use mudbox cuz zbrush is still kinda confusing for me

i havent used neither long enough to give some better review or something

Goon
02-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Mudbox is much more clearcut. Everything is layed out in a logical manner, there's no wierd 2.5D workflow issues, multiple objects can be dealt with easily, the viewport is in actual 3d (zbrush has a perspective viewport only on the mac. Gotta wait till 2.5 for the pc). It lacks some of zbrush's nice features, mostly texturing tools and the like, but it also doesn't have all of the extra rendering junk that most sculptors who intend to render in other apps don't care about, so the interface is focused on sculpting, and sculpting only.

So clean, fast, nice.

Butsa
02-09-2007, 08:43 PM
i couldnt agree more:)

AUMAKUA
02-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Mudbox is the wildest dream Maya's Artisan ever had ;)

Quadart
02-13-2007, 06:47 AM
Mudbox is much more clearcut. Everything is layed out in a logical manner, there's no wierd 2.5D workflow issues, multiple objects can be dealt with easily,

Yeah, these are attributes I'd like to see in ZBrush. I'd like to try Mudbox, and probably would purchase it from what I've seen and heard, but being a mac user I probably won't be giving it a spin anytime soon. I also just use ZB for detailing. I don't use the painting part much, even though Zapplink is a nice feature.

I'm curious, are Mudbox native UVs adaptive like ZB's little square tiles?

AUMAKUA
02-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Mudbox does not have any UV unwrap related tools, it just accepts models with UV and exports them as is. It can also subdivide UVs in higher levels of polycount.

Butsa
02-13-2007, 10:59 AM
http://img453.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rendertest2qd7.png

update

rendered in maya SR
i must say that Mudbox is a must have tool!

AUMAKUA
02-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Nice one. Just try to add some volume to his lips and checkout your own cheeks and cheekbones when you get this expression like this, his cheeks seem a bit too round.. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
02-13-2007, 12:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.