PDA

View Full Version : Again, matching the print to the screen

Crayox
02-09-2007, 12:29 PM
I have this scene from 3D Studio MAX that I print from Adobe Photoshop CS2. I formated recently and the print is not adjusted, before I think I had something setup, can't remember what. So, can I match the printer instead of my screen? I like the way my screen is. It's Eizo S2410W so the colors are pretty acurate without calibration. But, if I was to calibrate it, which software would you recomend?

thx

Neil
02-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Do:
Image > Mode > Convert To Profile

Choose a print profile and then find one that your printer supports/uses and it should be close. But don't forget that it depends on the inks types, the paper type, the paper weight...etc. It's not simple to get a perfect match, but it depends on how picky you're gonna be.

ThePhotographer
02-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Well, it seems that you have a nice screen ! I want one of those myself very soon !

Anyway, do you find that the difference between your screen and your print is VERY different ?

If it's only a little tiny bit different, the best thing would perhaps be to print out a small part of your image to save ink and then do some adjustments with the print before your eyes.

I don't think it is possible to get exactly the same thing seen on the screen when printed out. There will always be a slight difference. If you have a huge difference, you probably have some problem though.

If you want to invest, you can buy a calibration software with one of those things you stick on your monitor. The prices have gone down quite a lot recently - those things used to be very expensive only about three years ago. However, I also read somewhere that they will soon become redundant as the screens/monitors will have some inbuilt calibration thingy soon - some probably already exist.

Personally, I haven't invested in these kind of things and I find that I'm doing alright without too much hazzle.

ThePhotographer
02-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Just looked in one my photo magazines and found Colorvision. It's about 600 Euros though, so still kind of expensive ....

I haven't got an InterNet address, but just try to search for Colorvision and you should find them.

Crayox
02-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Well I managed before without a hardware calibration so I'll try to do without it for now.

I use Canon inks and Canon Glosy Paper, so that is as good as it gets. The problem was on one specific image where I had brown walls and the floor and on the print they had a greenish hue. I didn't have time so I just used levels and HSV correction to move it too much in the red area so I got the correct brown colors on the print.

I'll try that Neil. But also, some people make their own masks that they just apply every time? If you make a good one you should be able to apply it on any image and get the "perfect" result?

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2007, 10:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.