PDA

View Full Version : Dominance War II: Heber

Heber
02-09-2007, 07:59 AM
hey guys been a long time since ive worked on anything so this is my chance to finish something,
its still rough but its gets the point across, id love to hear some ideas especially with the tattoos/branding around his body i want to get something a little more unique going with that aspect of it.
shadow: aldar archer
proficiencies: stealth,marksmen

Aldar is a skilled archer that can hunt in silence from a distance or stealthily sneak up on enemies and impale them with his arrows.
Once a member of a great tribe of warrriors aldar was cast out for attempting to kill his predecesor to have his place.
After wondering as a traveller for so long he is tired of it and feels the need to prove himself in the war.
LATEST UPDATE MARCH 03:
http://heberalvarado.com/domwar/domwar6.jpg

http://heberalvarado.com/domwar/domwar2.jpg

Airflow
02-09-2007, 08:01 AM
Nice start. Good concept, but your going to have to be able to penetrate armour and sheilds with those arrows... Look forwards to seeing updates.

Heber
02-09-2007, 08:06 AM
ooh forgot to mention that, i was thinking the bow is more tech/futuristic than traditional and the arrows themselves could be made of some super titanium capable of penetrating the hardest of shields and of course the muscle behind it helps. :)

rasmusW
02-09-2007, 10:44 AM
hey heber!

great seeing you here. i like your concept and story.
think he would look cool'er without the horns. i like the tatoos on the arms but i'm not so sure about the one on the stomach.
looking forward to your next update.

-r

Scotcho
02-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Looks nice Hebe... are you still concepting his gear? I think some assymetrical armour pieces would work nicely for the silhouette, as well as material seperation in the render. Maybe a nubby horn on his forehead would work.

iworkat
02-09-2007, 05:17 PM
I've browsed your work, and I'm looking forward to seeing the finish... The silhouette is interesting, there are some anatomy issues ( which I assume you are aware of)... I agree a few asymmetrical touches would fair well... The stomach tattoo (in my opinion is feminine) I think if maybe they were more tribal possibly... also is the white line across his chest a tattoo as well or straps for the arrows?

pum
02-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Nice start Hebs, I really like how you pursue the concept by just doing the silhouette.

I'll definetely keep an eye on this thread!

Herb

foche
02-10-2007, 03:36 AM
Cool concept heber...Im a really fan o f your work!
Good luck:)

collings
02-10-2007, 03:13 PM
hi heber, nice to see you in.
I like your first sketch, can't wait to see more progress man :twisted:

have fun man

Heber
02-11-2007, 04:03 AM
thanks for all the replies guys i updated the sketch (based on the crits) thats about all the trying to draw i can handle so moving onto model now.
update soon...
Cheers.

dmonk
02-11-2007, 05:32 AM
NIce update. What kind of lizard are you basing the face on?

adamlane
02-11-2007, 05:39 AM
Nice one Heber, cant wait to see it in 3d

Reo
02-11-2007, 06:32 AM
Good luck mate nice to see you throw down.

Gkaine
02-12-2007, 04:01 AM
o shit! heber you are already the winner in my book

Heber
02-13-2007, 06:14 AM
thanks guys,
dmonk: nothing in particular really but im taking cues from bats/wolves/aliens etc for the face.

Heres a quick proxy i made yesterday, the armour stuff is just standin for now as i will probably change that quite a bit since im not liking it anymore but the body is ready to be sculpted.

**removed image.

rasmusW
02-13-2007, 07:13 AM
hey heber!

-looking good. nice and clean as always.
what is that you don't like about the armor? personally i think it looks pretty sweet and fits the character well.

-r

Scotcho
02-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Great base mesh, really follows with your concept. I like the armour you have currently but I'm curious what else you can come up with. I'm also liking the bulldogish look in the face.

fx81
02-13-2007, 02:31 PM
very nice and clean modeling. :thumbsup:

is that mesh for the low res or for the sculpt?

as for the armors i do agree that they could develope more.

Heber
02-20-2007, 09:10 AM
hey guys had some spare time to work on this , still very wippy in the body but i dint really spend much time on it yet. Ran into a wall as far as normal mapping goes so im trying to get this back into zbrush and use zmapper on it. Anyone had some good results with xnormal and wouldnt mind sharing some settings that would be cool too.

http://heberalvarado.com/domwar/domwar3.jpg

Airflow
02-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Daym, thats sweet.... Its a shame my shadow will have to put him down :P but to be honest, this is the best Ive seen from cgsoc sofar... Great work man....

Heber
02-20-2007, 09:23 AM
did some quick liquifying action on the arms/legs i want to get more mass around there and get some more distinct shapes happening, ill probably change the arms now i kinda like them bigger, thoughts?

http://heberalvarado.com/domwar/domwar3_beef.jpg

Airflow
02-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Dunno, If hes gotta fire accuratly he dont want no sausage fingers, but the again, he wants to be able to hit armour and crack it.... btw, how much ram are you using?... I got 3 gin in my maching but cant use it all, somthing to do with sp1....

Heber
02-20-2007, 09:30 AM
yeah good point man, maybe a happy medium? either way ill try and find a way to make it work.
I got 2gb of ram and i recently formatted (using sp2) and its pretty buttery smooth so far. I remember hearing there was some issue with high amounts of ram and zb but even at work i use 4gb and its fine but yeah maybe its an earlier service pack issue.

ColdKodiak
02-20-2007, 10:40 AM
the arms look better with more mass, but as Airlfow has said, as it gets to the hands the loss in definition just makes his hands look useless. I think it's mainly around the thumb though. De-beef if there and it should work.

agasco
02-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Awesome model Heber, the high res mesh is looking very neat, i also like the fat arms.
great work man!

dsolo
02-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Wooot!! Really cool stuff.

SergioSantos
02-20-2007, 01:48 PM
I think shoulders should be higher.
Nice model!

fx81
02-20-2007, 02:13 PM
i also like the bigger arms. however, i think the feet could be tad bit smaller. proportionally he looks small with such big feet. nice modeling as usual :thumbsup:

tokaru
02-21-2007, 08:37 PM
very cool work i like the armor and the concept art you did ver simple and clear.

foche
02-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Wow awesome concept and modeling, I love the anatomy...congrats Heber!

dnk
02-22-2007, 03:31 AM
hey Heber.
Cool character, great sculpting. :thumbsup:
zbrush is rock :buttrock:
keep it up

fx81
02-22-2007, 03:47 AM
for the normal maps i have tried several methods but i found that baking within Maya (surface sampler) or Max (render to texture) is the best so far. zmapper usually spits out a decent normal map but its slightly distorted around edges.

adamlane
02-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Damn he looks awesome! Nice one!! Bigger hands are cool too

Heber
02-24-2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys for all the replies :)
Ive made the lowpoly game mesh, unwrapped body , started on highres weapon and made fixes to the body (not shown in this pic)
Also experimented with normal mapping whcih gave me mixed results.
Next:
I will upres the weapon in xsi and sculpt details on the armour in mudbox and then post all the highres stuff together next.
Cheers all.

(old body with crud normal map)

http://heberalvarado.com/domwar/domwar5.jpg

dpizzle
02-24-2007, 07:06 PM
sick...i love his bow

Intervain
02-27-2007, 01:06 AM
yes well I'm a slow person LOL and only just noticed that thread! The sculpting's looking sweet and I have to agree about liking the bow :D Can't wait to see the armour detailing in particular :thumbsup: Keep it coming!

digital-boy
02-27-2007, 08:57 PM
This is looking amazing, everything from the concept has translated perfectly to 3d so far :applause:

Heber
03-05-2007, 02:01 AM
hi guys been busy lately but i got a change to work on it over the weekend, finishing up the hires here (still need to do some small detail on body) then moving on to mapping all this back to the lowpoly i posted earlier and then texturing, also putting this into a game engine soon cheers.

http://heberalvarado.com/domwar/domwar6.jpg

some quick paintovers, :

http://heberalvarado.com/domwar/domwar10.jpg

dpizzle
03-05-2007, 02:06 AM
incredible!
i love your stuff, very inspiring.
would you mind sharing your mudbox workflow?

keep up the awesome work!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ill_logic
03-05-2007, 05:55 AM
i really like the face on him. the whole upper body is awesome but i really like the face for some reason.
did you scrap the little wrist guards? i kind of digged those in the other picture. do kind of dig him without those mohawk tuffs of hair though. love the shoulder pad!

-J

Intervain
03-05-2007, 02:36 PM
awesome Heber! I really like the blue guy :), but the green tattoo doesn't quite go with it ...

fx81
03-05-2007, 05:28 PM
hey man, very good modeling. i do like the weapon modeling but somehow the bow and arrow dont seem right for this type of bulky character. i mean just looking at his fingers i dont think he would be able to hold the arrow properly. he looks more like a axe and big sword or hammer type. just my opinion.

nikudy
03-05-2007, 09:15 PM
nice modeling skills :applause:.
i like the last paintover ( "C") but i would go for a darker tatoo.

-claudiu

Gkaine
03-05-2007, 10:17 PM
i think the paintovers suck. especially the blue one. the brown ones are great (as far as garbage is concerned) they are safe, normal, and bland. kind've like guys who wear suits, those guys go far and end up killing themselves from the blackhole they've replaced their souls with.

on the plus side i like the armor texture but it needs some work.

(edit: for angry people ready to fight, heber and i are friends, this post is to make him laugh, and he knows i like the blue one. thks )

Swizzle
03-05-2007, 10:47 PM
i think the paintovers suck. especially the blue one. the brown ones are great (as far as garbage is concerned) they are safe, normal, and bland. kind've like guys who wear suits, those guys go far and end up killing themselves from the blackhole they've replaced their souls with.

on the plus side i like the armor texture but it needs some work.Well, that was very helpful. I'm glad we have people like you posting on CGTalk so that we can all learn from your constructive criticism and friendly attitude.

Say, would you mind popping on over to my thread and giving me some helpful advice? I like receiving comments from people whose voices are muffled by their own rectal tissues.

Heber
03-05-2007, 10:54 PM
thanks guys, its cool hes just joking but didnt make it very clear at first :)

yeah green doesnt seem to be working for the tat, ill try something else when i get home, thanks for all the feedback on the palette though,

mashru: yeah you are totally right but im going to probably make some change to the bow to better fit his hands but id hate to lose it all together, just dont want to give him a gun or knife.
thanks.

foreverendering
03-10-2007, 05:38 PM
I have to agree that I also find the bright tattoo odd... But, if you want to go for a brighter color, maybe something like a yellow tat on the blue skin would stand out more. Or, if you go for option C a bright red tat.

At any rate, keep going, this is shaping up very nicely :)

JWilson022
03-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Heber your work never dissappoints man, i really like where you have gone with this, im with the others on that tattoo tho i think its a bit to bright. Anyways im sure your next update will change that so i cant wait to see what you do.

keep up the great work dude!

SeanB
03-10-2007, 07:44 PM
One idea that might work for the tat is to make it a paint job, perhaps a sloppier one AKA the hand of Saruman on the Uruk-Hai?

http://z.about.com/d/actionfigures/1/0/U/7/1/lotrs2-9415.jpg

You could make the image a little rougher, a little drippy, and then mask it out of the cavities since you can't get paint to stick to the crevices. Just an idea.

medunecer
03-11-2007, 04:21 PM
You're doing an amazing work! Fantastic character! I vote for bigger arms!

AndrewBina
03-19-2007, 03:40 AM
Nice character man. If you want to the tattoo to work I suggest making the values contrast more. Right now the tattoo and the skin values are too similar so its not popping as you may want. The color should be secondary. Just my opinion. I can't wait to see how it your entry turns out.

Heber
03-19-2007, 05:20 AM
sorry guys wont be finishing this in time even with the new deadline, lots of stuff has come up recently that need my attention and i hate to rush anything right now.

i will be finishing it up in my own time though so loook for updates soon,
cheers all
:)

Airflow
03-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Aww, starts to worry that the lines will close behind his Shadow becase of a lack os superior archer fire.... Well as long as you fininsh it...

fx81
03-19-2007, 08:20 PM
come on you can do it. just think it over one last time. cgtalk can use an entry like yours.

ps. i might also have to surrender. full time work and life activities leaves me no extra time to work on this. but there is still 6 days so lets hope for a miracle.

TrevorTang
06-27-2007, 07:26 AM
Sweet stuff. Makes me want to get off my ass and do some hardcore modeling/sculpting :) Although my crash course in Maya isn't helping.

ArtPrint-ce
07-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Hope some day I'll be able to create things like that. Nice.

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2007, 01:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.