PDA

View Full Version : unreal shader: getting the shading to react to light source?

fester
02-25-2003, 08:51 PM
Hi again. I am setting up an animation with objects that are all cell ahded using unrealXtreme. I have an object that I want to come from complete darkness into a spot light, then back out into the darkess. The problem is the cell shading is always visible. It never goes into "darkness."

Is there a setting that I'm missing to make this happen?

Secondly, is it possible to have the toon tracer react to depth of field (like XDOF)?

thanks.

CIM
02-25-2003, 09:55 PM
- Turn Diffuse down to 0% when it's not in the light.
- Yes, dof seems to work fine--kinda slow, though. You could just render out a depth pass and do dof that way, I guess.

fester
02-25-2003, 10:20 PM
The cel shading seems to react fine to XDOF, but the toon tracing does not.

any thoughts?

policarpo
02-25-2003, 10:24 PM
contact support at Evasion3D if you already haven't. They'll probably ask for the scene file and plug-in you are using.

also try the Depth Pass route...you may need to increase the res by two and scale it down in After Effects for it to look right...but not always.

Shade01
02-26-2003, 12:47 AM
Let me answer your questions

Having an object come from darkness into the light means animating the diffuse level in conjunction with the color zone. You'll want to make the color zone on the far left side of the bar 0% for brightness, and give it a large section of the entire bar, at least half. Then ramp the diffuse to 0 for total blackness up to 100% for cel zones. The color zone you made 0% bright will remain dark however, there is no way to animate that. All you are doing is revealing the other color zones by adjusting the diffuse.
The best way to do that effect is in post. You won't sacrifice image or color quality and all you have to do is adjust the levels of the character to flat black when not in the light.

Having ToonTracer react to dof or motion blur ain't gonna happen. The inklines are created as an image process after the image is rendered. It simply looks at the surface borders and the alpha channel and draws a line. It does not take into account anything the camera is doing. If you do want ink lines to react to dof and motion blur, you will need to use LW's cel look edges. Instead of an image process, these are actual small black polygons being added to the object, so these react to anything an object will react to.

Hope that helps!

Dodger_
02-26-2003, 02:30 AM
Hey Shade, I sent you another PM over at LWG3D about this, but maybe you'll see this here first(or anyone else can answer too).

I've been playing with unreal and the free Han Solo model and I've been trying to get the shading between color zones to be more sharp. Right now, all I get is soft shadows between lighter/darker colors which looks really bad. Any ideas how to get by then and sharpen that shadowed edge up?

Shade01
02-26-2003, 02:48 AM
You need to adjust the min/max for each zone so that the min for one zone is the same as the max for the adjacent zone. Look at the color bar in the cel shader as you make the adjustments. You'll probably see a small gradient between the two color zones. Either delete that zone or adjust the min/max as mentioned above and look at the color bar for guidance as you make your adjustments.

Dodger_
02-26-2003, 04:14 AM
That works beautifully, thanks!

faulknermano
02-26-2003, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by Shade01
you will need to use LW's cel look edges. Instead of an image process, these are actual small black polygons being added to the object, so these react to anything an object will react to.

Hope that helps!

wow.. i didnt know that (small black polygons, i mean). thanks for the info. :)

fester
02-26-2003, 02:04 PM
awesome. thanks a bunch Shade

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.