PDA

View Full Version : Motion capture files with R10 joints???

nicodemus3d
02-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Hi everyone,

Ive just finished rigging and skinning my character and im now looking to apply some motion capture files to it.

I had originally intended to use the Xretarget plugin, but now, (having BOUGHT the thing!) I have found that it is restricted so that it only works with bone objects and not joints. Ugh! http://www.c4dportal.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif

Anyway.... Does anybody know of a way to apply bvh files to my rig.

From what i have read, the retarget tag requires that the hierachies or names be the same.
From what i can see, my rig is different from the bvh files.

Thankyou all
Nico

My rig is included:

AdamT
02-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Why don't you use the joint>bone conversion utility?

nicodemus3d
02-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Thx for the speedy reply adamT. If I convert the joints to bones, will i lose all of the controllers and ik setups ive made? Ive never used mocap in an animation before. The files I have are not exactly what I want but i had planned to hopefully adapt them and tweak bits in c4d.

Is this actually possible or do i need to learn motionbuilder? The character is fully finished ready for any hand animation in c4d, Im just unsure as to the process for using the mocap in my scenes. Thanks

nicodemus3d
02-09-2007, 08:19 AM
I just gave it a quick go and my mesh shot off at a funny angle and the ik chains got all messed up and unusable. (technically, if im making this rig for motion capture, does that mean i shouldnt have any IK and just have a basic bone setup?)

robotbob
02-09-2007, 08:43 AM
that is correct, you do not need any IK set up working with mocap however if you want to suplement your aninmation its always good to have two rigs so you can animate properly in C4D.

another thing is that 9.6 was much much better for this type of thing ( retargeting ) as R10 has REMOVED functionality. there are some threads on this matter - if you are interested do a search for NLA and have a read . . .

pedro

xfon5168
02-09-2007, 08:52 AM
that is correct, you do not need any IK set up working with mocap however if you want to suplement your aninmation its always good to have two rigs so you can animate properly in C4D.

another thing is that 9.6 was much much better for this type of thing ( retargeting ) as R10 has REMOVED functionality. there are some threads on this matter - if you are interested do a search for NLA and have a read . . .

pedro

I think you mean Motion Blending has been removed because the Retargeting is still in MOCCA 3. Under Mocca Tags.

I don't think sequences were a big deal for Mocap data, I could be wrong. But i know there was a tutorial on the MAXON website about Blending 2 mocap data files (1 walking 1 running) and it used the Motion track which is not in Version 10 for now. But to apply mocap to a rig, the retarget tag is still there and still works. Joints or bones I believe.

Anadin
02-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Interestingly I have been working on a similar problem for the last two weeks but due to the broken FBX export my efforts were wasted. We have since found a way to retarget in Maya.

What works for me, is to load up the bvh file. Select the hips, right click and choose select children. Then in the Character Menu|Conversion|Convert to Joints

This makes a copy of the rig as joints. Now add a retarget tag to to the original bone hips, put the bones hip in as source and the new joints hip as target. Voila! joints based BVH rig.

Now, you need to invoke cappucino, make sure you tick hierarchy, and select you new hips (joints) rig, click in the viewport and hold the mouse button down until the end of the animation. Delete the original hips (bones) and you will find all the BVH data on your joints rig. <phew>

Now, change the names of your joints to match the ones on your new rig and save.

You can now merge the data with your scene and it 'may' work out the bone names and automatically place the data or, if not repeat the process. I have started work on an expresso thingy to do this as all the bones can be retargeted in there but as I cannot export the animation to Maya, I had to stop :( (if anyone else has an idea let me know)

Hope this helps! (PS You may want to use the KeyReducer too)

robotbob
02-09-2007, 09:32 AM
hey there

you can certainly retarget in mocca 3 - i was saying other functionality has been removed ( hopefully for a limited time ) and was suggesting that if he wanted to focus on re-targeting mocap and having more control he might be better served going back and using 9.6 ( if he owns that version. )

and quite a few things have been removed - attach to a path ( you cant even do this in motionbuilder for some reason ) also the ability to re-time mocap ( slow it down / speed it up ) a few other bits and peices.

hope that is clearer now - goodluck with it

pedro

nicodemus3d
02-10-2007, 09:39 AM
thanks for the replies guys.
hmmm, doesnt sound easy. May have a read of the motionbuilder site and see how much easier that'll be. Does anyone know, if i get motionbuilder, will i have to re-skin my mesh? because its really complicated and took far too long the first time!

Cheers

Nico

Anadin
02-13-2007, 03:49 AM
Technically you should not have to reskin, you export your mesh with bones and skin weights into MB but just export the animation back to C4D, no mesh data etc. and reapply it to you skeleton.

It makes your life a lot easier if you rename your joints to match motionbuilder but if not you can make a template in Motionbuilder to deal with the different names.

CGTalk Moderation
02-13-2007, 03:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.