PDA

View Full Version : Dominance War II: Anole

Anole
02-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Ok I'm in..

Baby steps. Just getting my name in now..
I'll post a concept in bit..

Anole
02-11-2007, 04:52 AM
Ok here we go.. I have a concept generously created by Vinod Rams.. Concept artist extraordinaire..We will deal with fitting story around him later.. I thought it more important to think about how I'm going to build this beast..

Start max modelling here

http://darkzoo.org/albums/userpics/10001/golem_step1.jpg

Brought it in to mudbox here very quickly just to check usability of the mesh and edgeflow..
http://darkzoo.org/albums/userpics/10001/golem_step2.jpg

More to come soon.. got to get to work on those legs..

zeke3d
02-11-2007, 07:18 AM
wicked concept, hats off! cant wait to see more.

tokaru
02-11-2007, 07:59 AM
very neat concept dude.

SeanB
02-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Nice to see someone else going the four-armed route, sweet concept. :thumbsup:

jramauri
02-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Really impressive concept, and modeling. It seems this model will turn into something really good.

Per128
02-12-2007, 11:07 AM
beauuutiful concept

Anole
02-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the comments..
Small update..

Legs are little better now
I decided i'm going to need more max modelling on the head to make mudbox-ing him easier..
General proportional changes. I will be doing some more adjustments.. pushing it to extremes, then pulling back till I get something more visually impressive. Right now his proportions are too "realistic"
http://darkzoo.org/albums/userpics/10001/golem_step4.jpg
http://darkzoo.org/albums/userpics/10001/golem_step3.jpg

medunecer
02-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Fantastic work! How can you get those smooth shapes with low poly?

Robert-Fletcher
02-12-2007, 07:15 PM
excelent stuff. im loving this, the face is fantastic its very symmetrical which could go against you tho

foche
02-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Awesome concept and modeling process!
congrats

rasmusW
02-14-2007, 01:13 PM
hey anole!

-i'm really digging this concept.
the 3d seems to be well on it's way aswell. though, the concept looks abit more "buff" and weighted. guess that will come later on as you progress.
keep it up.

-r

MasonDoran
02-14-2007, 01:43 PM
accurate modelling of fat and muscle....with sinew and skin texture to create contrast....could make this guy really impressive.

For speed, I recommend modelling only 1 arm/hand in mudbox....and cloning it in Max.

Anole
02-14-2007, 04:25 PM
small update, big changes..
First some replies

Medunecer- I'm not sure what you mean, the base mesh is low poly but I've brought the torso into mudbox, and am using sub d surfaces in max..

Robert Fletcher- Thanks for the input. I am not too concerned about the mesh being symmetrical. The skinning and posing will offset most of that, and I will probably do a "damage " pass on it.. It is a golem after all.

foche- Thanks!!

abyss- Yeah one of the things I focused on for this last pass was proportion, and mass. It is tricky because you can hide alot in a 2d concept. Like his lower arm looks like it juts into his upper arm. But you have to resolve that in 3d and still make it look like the concept. I think I got a good way to where I need to be. By no means done.. I'm sure I will be tweaking even after I render my normals..

2byts- Thats the route I'm going. Im posting the mudbox torso image.. he's truncated at the forearms and legs, where I will use instanced geometry.. The upper and lower arms need to be modelled for them to interact correctly with the body..

So since my last update I did alot of scaling in max/ reimporting into mudbox.. back and forth.
Got my proportions to a relatively good state. He is beefed up quite a bit from the last time.. I've been wrestling with head scale and the legs. They are on my bug list..

Now going to bring my torso into mudbox and detail it out in earnest..

http://darkzoo.org/albums/userpics/10001/golem_step5.jpg

onelung
02-14-2007, 08:52 PM
awesome, and fast as hell! can't wait to see the finished version in 5 min :)

StuntMan
02-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Good luck buddy ;)

I like the saggyness mixed with grit and armor, I know your final will be polished. The quad-arms are a fresh take in this war.

cheers
~S

heavyness
02-14-2007, 11:54 PM
hot damn! he looks bad ass in the most ancient way. looking good in 3d.

Pdude2K7
02-16-2007, 12:44 AM
Good job on your entry so far Anole:thumbsup:

I am also working on an entry for DW2, Just havnt signed up yet.

@ medunecer (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=175923) - It is done using Smoothing Groups, If your using Max then use the Smooth modifier.

-Pdude2K7

Anole
02-16-2007, 06:43 PM
another small update..

Thanks steve, I'll need all the luck I can get.(StuntMan).. This update has the "fleshy" part of him a little more well.. fleshed out.

Did some work on just about every part of him.. Scribbles on the face are temporary, I'll most likely photoshop that stuff into the normal map...and.. bah..nevermind too much stuff to explain..still WIP

jesuisankit
02-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Jus wanted to give you two thumbs up for making the character so good so far... I would had given 4 of them if I had 4... or 6 if I had 5.. blah blah.... :P

:thumbsup::thumbsup:...

ninjacore
02-16-2007, 07:58 PM
wow. i love all those pinched areas on this guy.

he looks like a pretty tuff dude!!

mabuffaloe
02-17-2007, 01:15 PM
I absolutely love where you're going with that head...The crazy celestial "horns" are such a neat idea and I'm really looking forward to see how you're going to texture this guy! And at the rate you're going I won't have to wait long :D

SkyePhelps
02-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Hey the model is looking amazing... what type of materials are you planning on using for the concept?

Cyborgguineapig
02-17-2007, 09:13 PM
The sculpt work is really good. Keeping my eye on this one.

Rod Seffen
02-17-2007, 09:36 PM
This looks great, but I have to ask, why would the shock troops employed by a highly advanced immortal race be using the sort of brute weapons that neanderthals were using 30,000 years ago?

SeanB
02-18-2007, 01:26 AM
A lot of changes since page 1. This guy is looking scary. I agree, even brute weapons need that high tech touch.

ma3stro
02-18-2007, 01:52 AM
Awesome work! That's some fancy sculptin'. I agree about the neanderthal-esque weapons. I'm trying to figure out what weapons to give our own guy that aren't just clubs and blades...

Anole
02-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Well the weapons arent going to be made out of wood if that is the impression.. Before I am done things will make more sense.. I'm pretty close to finishing the high, and I have the low res mesh pretty well completed.. post an update soon..

agasco
02-21-2007, 12:52 AM
man, amazing model and concept, i like the weapons you have, maybe it would be cool if you make them morefancy looking and destructive.
iīll keep an eye on this forsure!

zeke3d
02-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Hey Alex, great progress, something that Iíve learned that might be helpful. Its probably well known among most painters but Iíve read it from a book that covers David A. Leffel, his advice is if you want to make a part of something brighter or lighter you can do so usually more successfully if you make the things around it darker, or more muted, and vice versa. I know getting the masses to your liking in 3d can be tough, but instead of making the torso bigger, perhaps make the legs and or head smaller, or if you want the arms to look bigger, maybe you need to make the hands smaller, I would use for the most part the torso as the hierarchy king and effect things off of that.

fx81
02-21-2007, 06:41 PM
very good modeling. the design is very unique too. reminds me of decorative masks from Sri-Lanka. only the desin of the feet bother me. and i do agree with zeke3d about making the hands and legs smaller. also when looking at the back it seems like the mechanics are fusing to the organics. although it all depends on how yo utexture it.

Airflow
02-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Any Updates?

Anole
02-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and especially critiques..
I will take a look at hand feet scale again.. I actually have a bit of freelance work I need to finish up before I get back onto him.

Mashru- i am working on creating a unique aesthetic with the hard elements (which I wouldn't describe as mechanical) blending smoothly into the organic (which I wouldn't describe as organic).. Its all works in my head and I hope I can get it out right. but yes most of it is going to hinge on the texturing..

hakanpersson
02-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Sweet work. Im sure this is Cgtalks frontline in the war:)

why would the shock troops employed by a highly advanced immortal race be using the sort of brute weapons that neanderthals were using 30,000 years ago?

Considering the progress in human warfare, a race with 12 planets should in theory probably possess a "destroy universe"-button by that time. And the contest is all over!

So the answer to your question is probably, "its cool, and we like it":)

Anole
02-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Back in business.. Finished up my freelance and ready to start on this guy again..

So here is where he stands today..

http://darkzoo.org/albums/userpics/10001/wip_render.jpg
I modelled up a low poly its around 5500 .. sans loincloth? I don't know what I'm going to do about that area yet.. but 500 should give me some breathing room... i'll start uvs today.. also did a couple of color comps here..
http://darkzoo.org/albums/userpics/10001/wip_color3.jpg
http://darkzoo.org/albums/userpics/10001/wip_color2.jpg
http://darkzoo.org/albums/userpics/10001/wip_color.jpg

JPons
02-28-2007, 12:28 AM
BRUTAL!

Nothing to critique, I really like the desing. About the colors set i think that "wip_color3" fits him the most.

Have fun texturing ;)

Anole
03-05-2007, 03:34 PM
UPDATE*********

I have my low poly down, unwrapped rendered and rigged.. Started working on the textures.. I am going with something in the vein of color 3.. with different hues.. ill post a shot with some texture work later this week.
http://darkzoo.org/albums/userpics/10001/lowpoly.jpg

erik_j
03-05-2007, 04:47 PM
impressive. about the body, is that (except those pluglike things) all flesh? (or underlying armour-bones?) it kind of looks cyborglike but it's sort of more streamline and non-intrusive compared to cyborg modification.. looks kind of like he was born that way but still if so, rather peculiar :-)
I guess it'll become clearer when textured.
though, if it were me I'd make it a bit more clear about what things are; implants, underlying strangely unorganic bone or actually something on the outside (like those bracelets) but that's just me and my favor for feasible and self-explainatory design :-)
And in any case I'd put some more clothes on him;;
kutgw!

Anole
03-06-2007, 05:07 PM
erik. in my mudboxing stage I wanted to blend the hard elements and softer elements together.. I am purposely avoiding the "this is a piece of armor and this is his skin" look. He was crafted by the ancients using powers and artistry that do not fit into standard conventions..

texture update.. really simple colors at this point witha blanket spec... glows are just blocked in right now.. I will have something more elaborate..
http://darkzoo.org/albums/userpics/10001/wip_render3.jpg

mabuffaloe
03-06-2007, 06:17 PM
This is fantastic! He looks like sunrise and midnight all at the same time :) I can't wait until you put those crazy star streams back on his head! Amazing as usual, Alex :)

christo78
03-06-2007, 07:25 PM
this is sweet. I really like the mudbox work on this, the way the smooth manufactured bits are blending into organic bits. My main crit is that the legs don't look chunky enough to support those feet. Maybe if he was rigged and posed it might be easier to see how these legs work and fit round each other.

erik_j
03-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Anole: ah, well that makes perfect sense then :) (enough for a fantasy character!)
good colour palette so far! maybe a bit too many smudgy gradients of that red atm..

muckywetnoodle
03-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Heya, that's looking sweet. I like the detail embossing thing started on the shoulders and chest. I prefer the finer orange lines on the upper body and arms to the thicker ones on the legs. It'd be cool if he had some balrog-esque flames going on from some of the orange lit areas. Keep it up.

monkeycorn
03-13-2007, 02:15 AM
Bootiful!! just bootiful...:thumbsup:

Anole
03-13-2007, 02:46 PM
thanks guys

Im still messing with the textures and colors, got the weapons and stand to build out next..
http://darkzoo.org/albums/userpics/10001/4.jpg

nikudy
03-15-2007, 12:39 AM
i think you are doing a great job with the textures, but can't see that much in the last picutre because it's too dark.

anyway, keep it coming.
-claudiu

erik_j
03-15-2007, 09:25 PM
it looks so great! I'm quite astonished of how that action pose improved the impression!
still managed to think of some crits: the ..feet (or boots?) have annoyed me from the beginning as they are strikingly symetrical from left to right side.
I don't think anything but maybe sticklike birds feet look feasible and good symetrical.
I'd employ much of the assymetry you find in the human foot, most importantly: shorter toes outwards and the ridge of the foot (soccer-kick-area) isn't round but rather sharp like a roof and not centered but a bit further inwards (down to the big toe).
maybe not make the outer toe that much smaller but atleast make the part behind the toes more flat and wide on the outer side.

and then looking at the legs the mouscles that go from knee down to... that other backwards knee (I know the word in swedish! :D) are perfectly parallel and centered to the general body and direction of that middle leg-part.
mouscles usually go slightly diagonally along the arm and leg sections from shoulder to elbow and to wrist and accordingly for leg.
if they were in the middle of the leg they'd be close to totally useless :)
consider the hydralics on digging machines, they attach very much offset from the "elbow" on the arm so that there's actually a triangle formed when it bends.

sorry for the preaching explainations if all you needed was an eye-opener <:)
apart from those nitpicky things the model looks like a winner!

oh, maybe the colourpalette is a bit monochromatic.. might work if you only light him with a cold light but otherwise I'd add perhaps blue in there is some way.. even though it might be tough to make it look good. probably would look silly with blue emissive light as he emits warm already but maybe blue-green copper-oxidation on the armour or something?
sorry for being long but I'd really like to see this one loose any possible ackilles heels :) GL!

ChrRambow
03-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Holy sh**!

This last version is the lowpoly one? :eek:

All i can say is :buttrock:

Anole
03-20-2007, 04:00 AM
Appreciate it guys..

Erik- great critique thank you. I will play with moving the inner toe forward, but in general with only two toes making one smaller tends to make things look off balanced. I've adjusted the sharp angle at the back of the foot. Alot of what I have done with him has been from the mindset that he was "crafted" by the ancients. Not a natural being. I think the boots and some details on his back lend strength to that idea. Besides the boots will not be a focus in my final renders..

This is an outdated update I rendered a few days ago. it is closer to my final piece.. colors are getting closer. I've adjusted the lighting and "skin" tone since. And worked on the weapon textures some more..
http://darkzoo.org/albums/userpics/10001/6.jpg

monkeycorn
03-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Beautiful piece of art. Though the lighting is dark, I hope it gets a little brighter so we can see him. :)

Cyborgguineapig
03-23-2007, 03:27 AM
This is just awesome but it really does need to be a little brighter. You might also want to go with a little lighter background because right now your character blends too much into it. Looking forward to your final.

Anole
03-23-2007, 05:54 AM
Thanks Monkeycorn, Cyborg that last render had no lighting on it.. I'd rather not do lighting if I can avoid it.. tweak render, tweak render.. drives me crazy.. unfortunately I'm going to have to if I hope to place. So here's maybe my last update before I set up and post my finals..
I'd really appreciate some comments on this. What works what doesn't.. Anything short of reposing or remodelling.. I just don't have time or energy to do any major reworks.

Yung
03-23-2007, 07:41 AM
Awesome work! Excellent modeling and texturing (I think you heard it lots of time :D)!

Personally I felt yer first post was much stronger. But since it's been done, may I suggest going for a low angle view? And perhaps tweak the eye's glow a bit more, to bring more attention to it. Except for the weapons, and the left shoulder, the glow are all almost equal. The lava at the bottom is nice, but it seems to come out of nowhere, and just blend into the space/sky? Seems a little odd there.

Great job, and done fantastically well.

Anole
03-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks Yung. Great point about the eyes, I wouldnt have caught that. The "lava" is supposed to be a portal from which the ancients summoned him.. I guess the angle makes it a little nebulous. I can throw another poly into the base with an alpha glow out into space. That should pull it together a little better..

fx81
03-23-2007, 03:03 PM
hey, really great work on modeling. the specular seems to be a little too glossy. also i think the render is not doing justice. first, i think the camera angle is not working. i cant make out where the head is and its confusing to figure out the shapes because of the lighing.

i would suggest orbit your camera to the right a little bit. get a little closer and lit the character from the front with a soft light pointing from the camera to the character and have it cast soft shadows.

for the color map i think you need to put more contrast in the hues of the separate parts. the specular map right now looks too smooth. you could add some noise to it and have sharp variations around the edges. the bright orange flames are also distracting the viewer from the character. overall the character needs to stand out more in the entire image. hope all these crit helps. really nice modeling once again:)

medunecer
03-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Great piece! Cant wait to see other points of view!

SkyePhelps
03-23-2007, 05:19 PM
I agree with Mashru, but I don't know if you want to go into posing him some more, I think it would be alot more dynamic if he was holding one of the weapons in two hands about to swing it, say his top left and bottom right hand... instead, also he feels like he's floating in space at the moment but his feet feel planted. I would dip his feet down and give him more of a floating pose, almost like treading water but not quite the kicking part. Good luck, and I love the work you've done so far!

Anole
03-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Mashru.. he actually is light from the front as well.. he is not all backlight. Granted the back light from the portal is brightest, but that makes sense. I tried lighting him as you suggested only front lit, but given there is no other light source implied in the rest of the scene it looked wrong. Lighting something in outer space is apparently trickier than I thought.

AndrewBina
03-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Sick Job!

My crit would have to be to work on the lighting. If you squint your eyes your character almost completely blends into the background.

Anole
03-25-2007, 08:23 AM
my god.. my hands hurt....

I am just wrapping up some loose ends now, and putting together my submission sheets..
It was hard and fun (at times), and I learned alot.. thanks everyone who commented and made this piece better than I could have made it alone..

I ended up reposing him for my winning pose. I'll post all my finals monday, but in the meantime...

http://darkzoo.org/albums/userpics/10001/final_3.jpg

and goodnight..

monsitj
03-25-2007, 09:32 AM
awesome! very nice work!

Cyborgguineapig
03-25-2007, 12:05 PM
http://darkzoo.org/albums/userpics/10001/final_2.jpg

...................:love:Bitchin!

SkyePhelps
03-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Love the new pose, your character is totally bad ass!!! Can't wait to see you place. Good Luck Dude.

erik_j
03-25-2007, 03:53 PM
great end result! :) kind of liked the first kind of beams from his head but this one goes with the fire theme so I guess it's the winner. good luck on battlefield! >:)

Anole
03-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks guys..
I had already posted my beauty and winning poses, but I'm going to move them to this post with the rest of my final sheets..

Winning Pose

http://darkzoo.org/albums/userpics/10001/Ancient_Golem_Winning_Anole.jpg

Beauty pose

http://darkzoo.org/albums/userpics/10001/Ancient_Golem_Beauty_Anole.jpg

Model Sheet

http://darkzoo.org/albums/userpics/10001/Ancient_Golem_ModelSheet_Anole.jpg

Textures sheet

http://darkzoo.org/albums/userpics/10001/Ancient_Golem_TextureSheet_Anole.jpg

Concept Sheet

http://darkzoo.org/albums/userpics/10001/Ancient_Golem_ConceptSheet_Anole.jpg

fx81
03-26-2007, 11:04 PM
good work on the winning pose. its gonna win something :thumbsup:

RedFish
03-26-2007, 11:08 PM
Hey nice pose on the model, I think that the winning pose isn't supposed to have a background, just a heads up, I am not sure how strict they are going to be on the rules.

Nice job though

Anole
03-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Yeah I posted about that on the game artisans forum .. I believe it will be fine.. the portal and flames, all constitute his base.. the only background element is the star field http://darkzoo.org/albums/userpics/10001/base.jpg

this thread deals with background on the winning pose
http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120

and this is the thread they reference in that post..
http://www.threedy.com/site/forum/showthread.php?p=545618#post545618

So my star field is considerably less detailed and ivolved than what is allowed.. ..

zeke3d
03-27-2007, 12:41 AM
great job, looks like a summon/espher out of final fantasy!

SeanB
03-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Looks awesome, very scary. I think the background issue is mainly to prevent additional characters or environmental elements from giving an unfair advantage. I see no problem here.

valri22
03-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Hey looks awesome, love the crazy glowing effects. Quick question for you! How do you get him to glow like that?? Especially in the eyes?

Anole
03-27-2007, 03:02 AM
the glow is in the emissive map

valri22
03-27-2007, 03:39 AM
Cool thanks... don't know what that means but I'm sure I can find out =) Good luck.

Yung
03-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Great work! The new pose really help it alot. And congratulation on finishing. Best of luck in the judging.

CGTalk Moderation
03-27-2007, 08:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.