PDA

View Full Version : Low poly tank WIP questions

//Tec
02-25-2003, 07:42 PM
As u can see below i am modeling a tank, as it is going to be made for a future game i was wondering a couple of things.

I am trying to keep te model as low polygon as i can, till now i am doing this by deleting edges that I think are not significant.. @ circle A u can see an edge i would like to delete but haven't done so far because i'm not sure that it is a good thing to do, @ B u can see that i have deleted 2 edges going from the square armor thingy to the edge of the tank. (i hope my story still makes sense)

Is it allowed to maintain a low poly count this way or should i leave all the edges be so all my polygons remain square?

http://tec.xs4para.nl/random/tankquestion.jpg

Molkien
02-25-2003, 08:28 PM
well you need to keep in mind that if this is for a game, as you say it is, that the game engine works with triangles, so your tank will be converted (or you will have to) in to tris. so any poly that has mor than 3 edges will be split. hope that helps

Jonny Bubonic
02-25-2003, 09:14 PM
Go ahead and delete those edges...when you triangulate the model the program will make sure that everything is sorted out fine.
I'm not sure, but it looks like you're using some intersecting objects, like the bit where the hatch joins the tank body. This is a good poly saving trick, but not all game engines support it (but in my experience most do). Worth finding out about, anyway.
The model's looking cool, BTW, so post up an update when its done please :)

tAstyBITs
02-25-2003, 11:42 PM
Deleting the edges you circled doesn’t change your poly count the edges are still there just invisible. It sounds like your thinking that sorry if it's not the case.

What you should worry about is whether some details you modeled are even necessary. Most of the detail of an low poly model is texture. My experience with low poly stuff is that details you might model to make the poly object to look good disappear when you texture the model. So deciding what should be texture and what should be modeled is what you need to think about.

//Tec
02-26-2003, 09:39 AM
thx for the help, the game engine is going to support intersecting objects so that won't be a problem, i'll keep u all updated on the progress i make :)

CADster
02-26-2003, 06:11 PM
nice tank.

In place of removing the bevel (i like the looks myself), id opt for reducing the points on your circles by way of radial reduction. this will save your poly counts and still enable you to keep the added detail.

back in my old autocad r12 days, when i exported a cad file as 3ds i noticed that autocad would reduce the points of a circle the closer it was to the center point. so i have been continuing this trick.

if your breach (the round thing the gun sticks out of) is 12 sides on the outer ring, its possible to reduce the inner ring by combining two points into one, so it becomes 6 sided. this can be done with the wheels and the inner barrel (or about any round thing that is not just a cylinder).

ive attached a crappy visual (aptly named crappy visual) it may help explain what im trying to say :shrug:

combos that work best are 16 sides or greater. the 16 sides will reduce to 8 sides and the 8 sides will reduce to 4 sides. with smooth and texture map applied you cant see the reduction and on a tank it can save you a ton of faces. Odd sided cylinders do not work as well.

Jonny Bubonic
02-26-2003, 09:16 PM
Nice tip CADster :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.