PDA

View Full Version : Painter X - key focus constantly lost

ceenda
02-08-2007, 01:30 PM
I downloaded the Painter X trial and I've been putting it through its paces, however, something is driving me crazy and I'm wondering if it's perhaps a tablet issue or something (I use an A4 Intuos3 and the OS is Windows XP).

Basically, key shortcut focus keeps getting lost.

i.e., draw a bit, try to UNDO (Ctrl-Z)... but nothing happens until I click on the application header to get it back into focus again.

That's the annoying thing, the app header bar doesn't fade out to suggest it's lost focus, for all intents and purposes everything seems to be fine, but keyboard shortcuts don't respond.

This didn't happen in Painter versions 5 - 9.5

Has anyone else had similar problems?

rattsang
02-08-2007, 01:39 PM
I downloaded the Painter X trial and I've been putting it through its paces, however, something is driving me crazy and I'm wondering if it's perhaps a tablet issue or something (I use an A4 Intuos3 and the OS is Windows XP).

i.e., draw a bit, try to UNDO (Ctrl-Z)... but nothing happens until I click on the application header to get it back into focus again.

That's the annoying thing, the app header bar doesn't fade out to suggest it's lost focus, for all intents and purposes everything seems to be fine, but keyboard shortcuts don't respond.

this happens to me to..... you need to physical go to the menu and click on undo to re activate ......yet another 'upgraded' feature for painter x

Hecartha
02-08-2007, 02:25 PM

I tested to use my old painter IX.5 PKS file in painter X. The result is instead of assigning my old shortcut to the new painter X, it cleared all of them. Perhaps it is why your shortcut does not respond. When i create a new PKS file in painter X, everything is ok and all my shortcut works...i wish for you you have not made lot of keyboard shortcut

Jinbrown
02-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Hi,

I'm using my Painter IX.5 exported PKS file in Painter X and my customized keyboard shortcuts set up in Painter IX.5 work perfectly in Painter X.

Hecartha
02-08-2007, 06:48 PM
really, it seems there is something strange here. I tried also to load PKS file from painter X in painter IX.5 and i obtained the same result ie no shortcuts.
To be sure i'm not a dumb i tried to load PKS file saved from each of the two version in the version used to create it and no problem, everything works. But using the file from one version to the other does not work from my side.
Are you using windows version Jinny?

jimmy-paillet
02-08-2007, 07:30 PM
same thing here...
when i load my shortcuts file from Painter IX.5 in X...
it erases them all...

Jinbrown
02-09-2007, 12:19 AM
Hi guys,

Please accept my apologies! The saved PKS file I loaded was not from Painter IX.5.

Same thing happens to me when I try to load one from Painter IX.5. There are no shorcuts at all.

Rather than trying to remember all of your customized keyboard shortcuts, you might want to do this:

1. Launch Painter IX (or IX.5) and in Customize Keys Preferences, choose the Key Set you want to transfer to Painter X.

2. At the top of the dialog box, click the fourth icon from the left (next to the trash can icon) to save a Key Set Summary HTML page, type a file name and click the Save button. Now you can use the Summary when setting up a new Key Set in Painter X.

3. Be sure to save the new Key Set so you'll have it to load again if necessary.

Hecartha
02-09-2007, 08:01 AM
Ok Jinny.
I opened the PKS file generated from painter IX.5 and painter X in notepad and i see now the difference. After a test i converted manually PKS file from painter X to painter IX.5 file and it works with no problem.
Let me point the difference:
here is what i can see if i open a Painter IX PKS file in notepad
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/hecartha/PKSFile-PainterX-Notepad2.png
now what i can see with painter X PKS file
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/hecartha/PKSFile-PainterX-Notepad.png
But if i open it in notepad2 it seems to be identical to Painter IX PKS file (it appears like the first image)
The conclusion is painter X uses another character to go to next row (i don't really know which word is used in english~). So i think it can be batch converted in a second using an advanced text editor. As i'm not an expert with that i don't know how to do that but perhaps someone know, anyone?

Anyway to convert quickly painter X PKS file to painter IX you just need to copy the whole text from notepad and paste it in the text area of this forum and again copy it from the forum and paste it in notepad...and save. Pretty easy, the only problem is we don't care to do that in this direction...

ceenda
02-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

I think perhaps 2 seperate issues are being confused here?

The issue that rattsang and I seem to have is that the keyboard shortcuts work fine. They exist.

The problem is that the application seems to lose focus, so they aren't being recognised until you click the application main window to get focus back again.

I don't really know about the files being mentioned.

Hecartha
02-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Ok, i didn't understand that.

So does the problem affect your keyboard also? (as you talked about your tablet i'm not sure about this point)
You wrote you drew a bit before painter X lost focus, but does it happen just after you touch the canvas or after a little time?
Do you need to click exclusively on the application header or can you click also on a palette to get back focus again? I don't really know if it is important...
And what about your mouse wheel and your touchstrip? Do they still control the zoom?
Did you try to deactivate the enhanced brush ghost? Again this is the kind of test i would do but i really don't know why you have this strange problem. Since i have not this kind of problem i can't really help you...did you close any other programs which can interfere with painter (skinning application, special clock, dock program...)?

rattsang
02-09-2007, 10:54 AM
ok this is how it works

the undo on the keyboard (default ctrl+z) will not work all the time (i am using the default keyset btw) instead it does nothing at random intervals. to get it to work again you MUST click on the application window........ so its not really a shortcut then is it?

i have no interfering programs running in the background

not that this surprised me when i saw how poor this upgrade is.

Hecartha
02-09-2007, 11:09 AM
huh, just the ctrl+z does not work? If yes, what happen if you change this shortcut for just a "z"?

rattsang
02-09-2007, 11:21 AM
huh, just the ctrl+z does not work? If yes, what happen if you change this shortcut for just a "z"?

no just changed it to 'z' and still the same- my 'z' does work no probs at all in ps :)

Hecartha
02-09-2007, 11:49 AM
ok, it was just to be sure it is as you have said an "undo problem" instead of a shortcut problem.
So this thread should be renamed as "Painter X - crazy undo" or "Painter X - when the undo would not work anymore" :D

Philippec
02-09-2007, 01:14 PM
The conclusion is painter X uses another character to go to next row (i don't really know which word is used in english~).

The custom palettes in Painter IX were not designed to be shared, so they were stored in native text endings (CR/LF for Windows, CR for Mac). Notepad2 automatically detects the proper line endings, that's why you don't see a difference.

In Painter X, you can share workspaces even across platforms, so all the content has to be cross-platform, which means that you have to pick one way of doing the line ends, and it looks like the Mac one was picked.

Hecartha
02-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Ok Philippec, thanks for the explanation, i supposed the reason of the change was something like this.
But do you know how to convert painter IX PKS file to painter X file? It should not be so difficult i think, i tried notepad++ but i don't know exactly what i'm looking for to convert the file. It is not a big deal for me to create a new file but it is curiosity, and perhaps it can help someone with lot of modified shortcuts.

Jinbrown
02-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Hecartha,

I tried your method and it seems to have worked based on a little testing I just did with my customized keyboard shortcuts, but it took some experimenting to find a way to copy the rectangular character that separates the lines (I have no idea what that character is called).

What I did was to copy both the rectangular character and a following character. (Unless I copied both the rectangular character and the following character, nothing pasted except blank space.) Then I pasted those two characters at the end of each line. I'd show you an example, but they won't paste here.

Then I placed my cursor at the beginning of the second line, and clicked the backspace key two times, first to take the second line up to the first line, then to delete the second unwanted character. Repeated this for all following lines until everything was on a continuous line with no line breaks.

It would have been far easier, and quicker, to open the HTML Summary of my Painter IX.5 customized keys, then manually add them to a new Key Set in Painter X.

Thanks for the idea, though. ;)

Hecartha
02-10-2007, 12:55 PM
It would have been far easier, and quicker, to open the HTML Summary of my Painter IX.5 customized keys, then manually add them to a new Key Set in Painter X.

Thanks for the idea, though. ;)

haha, sure, it is especially in my case a lot easier to use your method since i use only few customized shortcuts, mostly for my tablet and the second touchstrip :D
But you know, i like wasting time in useless things lol. Seriously, i encountered previously some case where i needed to know how to do what i'm asking, not with painter but with other configuration/ini files from miscellaneous software and now i'm tired to bypass the problem. I would like to definitely know how to do that. I don't know if you have already used advanced text editor but with them you can use a "find and replace" function where you can point as many file you like to work on, and in one click all the files you needed are replaced. Perhaps it can be done with just a windows batch file.
It can be also useful for people who has few custom palette because it is the same thing in painter X...and if i had the solution, i could sleep again lol

Jinbrown
02-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Important update on my converted Painter IX.5 Key Set file used in Painter X:

After posting my "success" story, Painter X started behaving very strangely. Too complicated to explain, but I deleted my Workspaces, then copied and pasted a couple of backed up workspaces and launched Painter X. Now everything's back to normal again.

After this experience, I'd suggest not using a converted Key Set file after all.

Not only is it a huge time waster to convert the file, it seems that Painter X doesn't like it and who needs Painter X acting so strangely that you have to start over with clean workspaces (if, in fact, you've backed them up in the first place)?

I don't! ;)

Hecartha
02-10-2007, 02:31 PM
ok Jinny, thanks for the feedback, i will follow your recommendation :)

phd
02-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Hi,

I have suffered similar "Focus" problems, occasionally I have to select the application title to bring focus back to Painter X, more often than not during a Undo (which is assigned to my pen rocker switch). All shortcut changes, I recreated in Painter X, and did not try importing the PKS file from Painter IX. Also occasionally it would all of a sudden switch layers, eg. with two layers, I was working on the back ground then it would jump to the top layer after clicking the undo.
Another thing that has happened, on some occasions the undo skipped a change, and seemed to jump back to the second latest stroke on the stack, leaving the last stroke intact. Doing a Redo/Undo a few times got it back in line, it was not a artifact problem, it really seemed to skip over the top item on the undo stack.
Also, on an unrelated subject, the Zoom In/Out seems to leave large rectangular blocks visually unchanged, requiring a pan around in order to recover from the large artifacts. This is similar to the vertical/horizontal lines you used to get when panning on/off the side of the window, but much much worse!

Regards,

Phd.

phd
02-15-2007, 07:47 AM
Hi,
I discovered my problem last night with the large zooming artifacts.
The settings for my wacom (I3) had the left touch strip set for zooming, not with the auto scroll/zoom, but assigning keys (Ctrl Num + and Ctrl Num -) so that the zooming in and out was in round number steps, making it easier to return to 100% zoom. This worked great on Painter IX, but on painter X this causes the large zooming artifacts, where large blocks of the image do not get updated properly. For some weird reason this only seems to be a problem when controlled from the Wacom touch strip. Using the Keyboard, or a Virtual keyboard or the menu options seems to work correctly. Switching the touch strip back to the Auto Scroll/Zoom setting doesn't seem to suffer the same problems, the only problem is that the zooming levels are quite obscure, and returning to 100% zoom is not so easy. (For that I assign a button on the right to Ctrl-Alt-0 to return to 100% zoom). There seems to be some bug with Painter X that did not exist for painter IX in this area.
Also I tried winding back to the previous version of the Wacom drivers (after recently installing version 6, I went back to 4.97 (or something like that!)). I not 100% sure, but the key focus, and switching layers problem (particularly when undoing) did not seem to occur as often (if at all!). I don't know if there may be some Wacom drivers problem, or whether it is all down to Painter bugs?

Regards,

Phd.

phd
02-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Hi,

I've solved another problem I was having with Painter X. The problem of "Switching layers" when pressing the Undo. The problem is that CTRL Clicking (pen tap) seems to Float a selection. This seemed to occur if I pressed the pen rocker switch (set to Ctrl+Z - Undo), then accidently touch the pen tip, which gets interpreted as Ctrl-Click. To resolve this problem I changed the Undo and Redo shortcuts to just Z and Y, (making the existing assignment Shift+Z/Y), therefore not involving the CTRL key in the keystrokes assigned to the pens rocker switches. This now prevents accidental switching tools to the Layer adjustment tool and floating the selection. The CTRL click in Painter IX does not seem to have the same effect, it just causes a box selection. Hope this is useful for others.

A new problem I have noticed now, is additional atrifact that seem to appear when very lightly drawing with the Scratchboard brush. The size is set to 2.0, and with very little pressure a thin line can be drawn, but on some of the diagonals I sometimes get a short horizontal line (of between 3 and 10 pixels) "hanging off" the actual drawn line. Performing a redraw (eg. Zoom to 100%) makes all the atifacts disappear. Again this is something I could not reproduce in Painter IX. Overall there seems to be more artifact problems with Painter X than previous versions, which have suffered the Panning lines problem for sime time. Hopefully these problems can be cured in a patch shortly.

Regards,

Phd.

Jinbrown
02-21-2007, 05:09 AM
Hi,

I've solved another problem I was having with Painter X. The problem of "Switching layers" when pressing the Undo. The problem is that CTRL Clicking (pen tap) seems to Float a selection. This seemed to occur if I pressed the pen rocker switch (set to Ctrl+Z - Undo), then accidently touch the pen tip, which gets interpreted as Ctrl-Click. To resolve this problem I changed the Undo and Redo shortcuts to just Z and Y, (making the existing assignment Shift+Z/Y), therefore not involving the CTRL key in the keystrokes assigned to the pens rocker switches. This now prevents accidental switching tools to the Layer adjustment tool and floating the selection. The CTRL click in Painter IX does not seem to have the same effect, it just causes a box selection. Hope this is useful for others.

The same thing can happen in Painter IX/IX.5 and probably earlier versions as well. (I just tried it in Painter IX.5 and got the same result you did in Painter X as I also did in Painter X.)

What's happening is that when many (not all) other tools are selected, for example the Brush, Dropper, Rectangular or Oval Selection, or Lasso tools, holding down the Ctrl/Command key temporarily activates the Layer Adjuster tool. Then, when we click inside the active selection, it's lifted to a Layer. If the active selection is on an existing Layer, it's lifted to a Layer Floating Object and placed in the Layers list as a "child" Layer below the Layer from which it was lifted.

A new problem I have noticed now, is additional atrifact that seem to appear when very lightly drawing with the Scratchboard brush. The size is set to 2.0, and with very little pressure a thin line can be drawn, but on some of the diagonals I sometimes get a short horizontal line (of between 3 and 10 pixels) "hanging off" the actual drawn line. Performing a redraw (eg. Zoom to 100%) makes all the atifacts disappear. Again this is something I could not reproduce in Painter IX. Overall there seems to be more artifact problems with Painter X than previous versions, which have suffered the Panning lines problem for sime time. Hopefully these problems can be cured in a patch shortly.

Regards,

Phd.

I sometimes get that line at the beginning of a Scratchboard Tool stroke too. Just got it with the first stroke I made tonight using the Scratchboard Tool. Zooming in and out did not remove that line as it's part of the brush stroke.

However, resetting my Brush Tracking helped. You might try that to see if it helps you too.

In my experience, those odd beginnings and endings in brush strokes happen often with brush variants that use Dab Type: Rendered which is what the Scratchboard Tool uses. I've found that with the default brush variant settings in Painter X, that seems to happen a lot. You might also try adjusting the Size and Min Size sliders to see if that helps too.

When you get your brush variant adjusted to work the way you want, save it as a custom brush variant with a unique name not already used by Painter X.

Hope this info is useful to you.

Good luck!

phd
02-21-2007, 04:12 PM
The Scratchboard brush problem I am seeing is not just the inital dab, a light touch thin diagonal drawn line sometime has horizontal line artifacts hanging off of it. They are not true ink marks, since a screen redraw (eg zoom to 100%) makes them all disappear.

Resetting the brush tracking has helped a bit, but not 100%, it does seem to be a Painter X artifact problem.

Also, can you reproduce the zooming artifacts problem if you assign "Ctrl (Num) +" and "Ctrl (Num) -" as keystrokes to the Touch strip, the zooming does not work correctly, as it does in Painter IX, or if the real/virtual keyboard is used.

Thanks.

Regards,

Phd.

Jinbrown
02-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Hi Phd,

You might want to do a screen print when that artifact appears using the Scratchboard Tool, then send it along with a description of what happened, to:

painterteam@corel.com

About the touch strip:

I'm using and Intuos 2 tablet and don't use the tablet for keyboard shortcuts. In fact, I have the strip along the top covered up.

Maybe someone else who's using the same tablet and Painter version you are can test it for you.

rattsang
02-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Hi Phd,

You might want to do a screen print when that artifact appears using the Scratchboard Tool, then send it along with a description of what happened, to:

painterteam@corel.com

About the touch strip:

I'm using and Intuos 2 tablet and don't use the tablet for keyboard shortcuts. In fact, I have the strip along the top covered up.

Maybe someone else who's using the same tablet and Painter version you are can test it for you.

i think phd was refering to the touchstrip (the stip on the side of the tablet that is used like a laptops touchpad) rather than the tablet menu buttons that you and i have on our old intous 2 s'. more info here http://www.wacom-europe.com/uk/products/intuos/whats_new.asp

im actually considering upgrading my wacom just for this :)

btw the table menu buttons dont currently fuction correctly with the latest driver...... they will always perform the default actions even if you change them.

rat

Jinbrown
02-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Hi rat,

That's what I figured, and the reason I mentioned using an Intuos 2 (no touch strip, just the old menu strip).

Thanks for the heads up about the tablet functions not working even with the latest driver. Not a problem for me since I don't use them anyway, but it might help someone else to know that.

dub
03-12-2007, 06:18 AM
I'm having the issue with loosing focus in Painter X as well.
I use the rocker switch for (right click) while in a brush to select a different variant, and then can't use Ctrl+Z or Ctrl+A, etc. even after painting on the document until I click on the layer in the layers panel or the title bar of painter.

I'm using an Intuos 3 and had the problem with the demo of PainterX and the full version.

-dub

CGTalk Moderation
03-12-2007, 06:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.