PDA

View Full Version : WIP: stylized character with concept sketch

Poopinmymouth
02-25-2003, 06:23 PM
This is my final project in my Modeling for game design class. We have to model him in 3500 polys, or less, and we get a 1024x1024 texture map. This is the concept sketch, which I made as a set of orthographic views to aid in my modeling stage. This is a 16-18 year old boy, who has special abilities. His forearms are enlarged to aid in making him look different, and they will be covered in tattoo's to help carry this point across. The head is based off of my roomate who was kind enough to donate pictures for me to model off of. I am not putting them up for his privacy, but hopefully you will be able to tell who he is anyway from the model. 8-)

here he is all rigged up and posed looking like a bad mofo

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/wip/character_bad_as_balls_gi2.jpg

LoneLobo
02-25-2003, 07:21 PM
wow, nice model!

like the stylized and exaggerated proportions, reminds me of the "human torch" by skottie :D

modeling-man
02-26-2003, 01:26 AM
WOW.
Great work on the details.
The ears, hair and face are excellent. Also, great use of edges the model looks very sculpted not just extruded.
:applause:
B

RatPoiZon
02-26-2003, 02:59 AM
hey great work dude, I love it.

umm only comment is ... THE NECK... it it looks a little too long and thin on the model, but I guess u see that without me pointing it out.

Pretty cool, I love the details.

Poopinmymouth
02-26-2003, 06:32 AM
Thought you guys might like to see an update. Still working on all of it, havent done smoothing groups for anwhere but the head, and still gonna do some on the ear. hair is not attached yet

edit updated images below

modeling-man
02-26-2003, 06:35 AM
Hey this is coming along really well.
A couple things though that are sticking out to me as possible areas of work are on the but and the trapezius (back muscle). Now I know this model is stylized, very well might I add. IMO, these two areas seem to detract from the overall model. I think if you pushed them a bit back to a more normal form it help unify the model a bit.
Besides those minor gripes this model ROCKS.
3700 is where its at right now...are you planning on a certain limit? You're already a bit high for most games right now...(unless its 2v2 fighter).
Good work, this better get you a job.
B

Poopinmymouth
02-27-2003, 06:27 PM
he has hands now, and I worked on the smoothing groups. Right now he is at 4600 which is way to high, will optimize later tho

modeling-man
02-27-2003, 07:04 PM
Heh. I don't think I'd ever say this but

"Where's the meat?" um ya. He looks like he's missing the manhood.

Besides that I still think the whole hip section is ackward. I know this is stylized but it just doesn't seem to stick together. Everything else though seems to be coming together nicely the smoothing groups look good too.
B

Poopinmymouth
02-27-2003, 07:48 PM
um, since he is going to have on pants, I didnt bother to model the "crotch" area, this is also why i havent given too much detail on the upper thigh area. but thanks for the C&C

modeling-man
02-27-2003, 07:50 PM
sorry I thought you were just modeling the form.
yes pants WOULD be nice:)
can't wait to see the finished product
B

sic1
02-27-2003, 08:15 PM
Looking very detailed so far. Great job with the upper arm muscles... they look fantastic! :) You did a great job on the head too, atm i'd say it's the model's strongest point - which it should be if it's a game character. :applause:

I have one crit about the upper thighs, where they connect to the pelvis, I get the feeling that they are a bit more feminine. I understand it's a young man, and he will have pants or maybe it's supposed to be that way - it's just a thought.

Keep up the great work, can't wait to see it textured. :thumbsup:

Poopinmymouth
03-01-2003, 09:20 AM
Here is the latest update

Also, I wrote a tutorial on modeling for anyone who is interested
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/process/character_process/character_process.htm

Gibbz
03-01-2003, 10:13 AM
wow very nice, i love the stylised feel, as the top part of his body seem thicker, it looks like a super hero style model ;)

Poopinmymouth
03-04-2003, 09:58 PM

latest update, after adding the gauntlet, I will begin unwrap. The body alone was 5k poly's, but I otimizied and took off 1100. Now, with the armor, he weighs in at 4600. I am def not going over 5k, but I am going to try to stick to 4500 as my cap. It will mean taking even more off after the gauntlet is on

modeling-man
03-04-2003, 10:31 PM
hmm 4500? You think you could send us a wireframe. I feel like you could most likely get this model closer to 3500, and add a ton of more objects on him. The last wireframe looked like a crapload was in the fingers and forehead, face area.

Love the additions by the way this characters gonna be rad when you finish.
B

Poopinmymouth
03-05-2003, 07:45 AM
Ok, he is done for the modeling stage. if I take out any more polys, I will lose too much detail, so he stays high, and I wait till game engines catch up. at 4870 right now.

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/wip/character_progress_6_.jpg

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/wip/character_progress_6_wire.jpg

modeling-man
03-05-2003, 07:48 AM
Hehe, you drive a tough bargain:)
Anyways, looks good. I still personally think the toes and fingers don't need soo many polys...neither does the neck...but hell in like 2-3 years this model WILL be able to be played in game...so ya just make it rad and wait.
B

Poopinmymouth
03-05-2003, 08:08 AM
um, I dont think it will take anywhere near 2-3 years. maybe like 1 at the most. With a nice enough graphics card, this thing should run in unreal even if it would be choppy as crap. Then again, maybe not. I want the hands to withstand closer animation, and deform correctly, likewise, the neck and the face are more detailed sections of the human body, so obviously the mesh has to be more dense. I am trying to show that I have what it takes to model for the range that will be the norm when I graduate, which is may of 2004. Plus I honestly dont think that it is possible to model the detail that I have there in 3500. Mind you I dont think I am a modeling God, and I know it could be done in less than 4870, but I am fairly positive that it cant be done in less than say, 4500. I am giving a modeler with experience the benefit of the doubt to be able to knock off those 370, but guess I just need more experience.

modeling-man
03-05-2003, 08:15 AM
Ya if you are going with the intention that the textures won't give the detail. Then model away. I mean I think you could easily fake some of the areas that are detailed but like you said...when you graduate you want this model to be ready for the market.
Anyways your model looks tight, regardless of polycount.
B

Poopinmymouth
03-05-2003, 04:42 PM
Thank you modeling man.

I want to take a few seconds to speak on the subject of texture versus geometry. The reason that textures have to do so much, is becuase we have been limited in geometry so far. You can only model so much detail, so you have to make it up in the textures. Anytime your model can back up your texture it just makes it that much better. Examples of what I am talking about. You can paint a photorealistic face on a wall, and it doesnt look like a head from every angle. Second, the doom 3 models. You cant deny they look amazing, and alot of it is the poly count.

Poopinmymouth
03-09-2003, 09:05 AM
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/wip/character_progress_11.jpg
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/wip/character_progress_hand.jpg

texture flatsheets
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/wip/character_progress_face_tex_sheet_1_0.jpg
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/wip/character_progress_body_tex_sheet_1_0.jpg

I am having a ton of trouble with this. This is my first ever human skin, so please me gentle. All by hand, cause I dont want to rely on photo's to heavily. The skin tone has been the hardest.

blankslatejoe
03-09-2003, 06:32 PM
well ben, i dunno if you could argue the 4800 thing to a potential employer, at least not to one like paul steed. But regardless, I know there's no wavering for you on that front.

Texture-wise you should do a few things to really make it pop out.
drop the color around the joints. Make it a little less saturated where the bone comes closer to the skin, like the knuckles, the jaw, the elbows, that sort of thing.

2, I would vary the skin color all aorund a little actually. He might be a little less tan along his ribs for instance, or under his arms.

3: you could add some light blue to suggest veins, not evena blue, but a off colored peach would work, like a grayish peach. Right now he's like a beach boy with no tendons or veins.

4:His eyes are a little too saturated, in my opinion. thats your call though.

5:the rust: keep in mind, i think rust focuses around the edges, and is not random like that. try and make the rust start from corners and folds then fade out into the gray elsewhere..

OTHERWISE!!! I think this is great Ben. I've always liked your work a whole lot. I cant wait to see this thing finished. Keep in mind, my above comments are just suggestions. It looks dern good right now, but those might push it a little further and wouldnt take long to try.
(you can have multiple skins too! how about a beat up one?).

OH, and doom 3, I thought part of the reason they look so good wasnt the polycount, but was the highresolution shadow map/displacement.. there was an article on it awhile back I think on Gamasutra... but I cant remember....

MrHappyPants
03-09-2003, 08:40 PM
actually doom 3 models are pretty low poly.. they just use a high poly model to reference the normal/bump maps from..

check out http://www.crytek.com for more info on this technique

this model you made is kinda stuck between 2 worlds..

you modeled him too high to strike interest in art directors looking for a strong realtime artist. the only thing they would be concerned with is the silhouette shape and uniformity of the model. oh and getting character out of a model.

and yet this model is too low poly to use for the high poly model in normal mapping methods. id suggest you build him up to about 10,000 polys and create a normal map from it. you could get the best of both worlds with that method. otherwise.. drop him down and spread your polys over props and clothes/armor..

the modelling is REALLY strong, however I think the textures are not working.. especially the generic rust over the armor.

thanks for the tutorial you posted earlier.. i like you style of modelling heads! :thumbsup:

blankslatejoe
03-10-2003, 12:06 AM
oh, theres a conflicting triangle too ben, right on his breast plate thing, you can only see it on one render, instersecting the badn through the metal. You might want to pull that back.

Otherwise, rock on ben, ROCK on!

Poopinmymouth
03-10-2003, 01:50 AM
Mr happy pants. you mentioned you didnt think the texture was working. Do you mean just the metal? or the skin as well? I didnt make it clear, but at this stage, I had only really been working on the skin, the metal is just there to get a good idea. I agree that it needs alot of work. What do you think of the skin so far?

I have been to the site you mentioned before, and I am planning to do just that on my next project. I have noticed that I can take a ton of polys out of this model now that the texture is on, I agree that right now it is straddling the middle ground. He was at one point modeled even higher, and when I mesh smooth the version it would prolly make a good normal map to use on the lower one I will soon produce. Thank you very much for the critique

Joe, i fixed that poly, thanks

MrHappyPants
03-10-2003, 03:32 AM
oops I just meant the rust.. the skin is looking good! I think it could use a little more "pop" but your still working on it. colors are really important with game characters.. theres something about color use in a game engine that makes figures stand out and read easily from a distance.

yeah that would be really cool to see this model with the normal mapping technology. ive been wanting to try that but havent gotten around to it. plus I hate making high poly art.. seems like its so easy to get lost in all the detail and lose the vision of the character.

Poopinmymouth
03-10-2003, 12:56 PM
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/wip/character_progress_12.jpg

wanted to get it rigged before I showed you guys this, but I am going to get some sleep first. let me know what you think of him.

blankslatejoe
03-10-2003, 04:12 PM
my favorite part is the little floating "object selected box" on the ribs of the right image. Very classy, ben ;)

Actually, I like this idea a lot better than the rust, but it needs a little work. I would try and avoid the embossed look from Photoshop. Go ahead and paint it all in, I have faith in you man!
The tatoos are a little hard to distinguish too, you might want to extend them over a little bit more of the arm.

ALso, watch your resolutions, the shoulder pad needs to be a bit deal finer if its gonna look right when put next to that pretty breast clasp.

The best of the armor now is actually that leg piece. I really dig that a lot.
otherwise, keep trucking man! Goodluck Rigging!

blankslatejoe
03-10-2003, 04:13 PM
Oh, I dig those details you put in the face too. Nice work.

Poopinmymouth
03-11-2003, 05:21 PM
here he is all rigged up and posed looking like a bad mofo

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/wip/character_bad_as_balls_gi2.jpg

Whirlwind
03-12-2003, 01:21 AM
Very nice model you have there. I think everyone pretty much covered the crit part, and I agree with most of it. I'd also like to thank you for the tutorial on your site, its helped me out on some of the problem areas I was having with the body.
Good work, though I would touch up the textures. If you want more detail about what I mean(even though its been mentioned), just drop me a line.

Oh yes, good pose, but thicken the swords blade. Just my opinion
though.
-D

bugo
03-12-2003, 03:34 PM
really awesome and great style! :scream:

Solve
03-12-2003, 05:12 PM
Wow!! This passes "Dark Elf" as the best model on the this forum!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.