PDA

View Full Version : character with armor or rigid accessories

soundoptik
03-27-2002, 11:59 PM
How does one go about modeling / skinning a character with rigid accessories such as armour plates, that must move with, but not intersect the main body geometry? I suppose modelling it all as one shape is possible, but in a situation where i want a reuseable "base" character, and then interchangeable accessories, what do i do? plus, even when modelling as one continuous mesh, the skinning seems frightfully difficult to me with a combination of flexible body parts, and rigid armor pieces... yet i see such characters all over the place, so i'm wondering what the "standard" method is. Any help out there??? :)

CarlDavis
03-29-2002, 04:32 PM
In messiah I would use simple expressions to move the rigid objects to nulls that are parented to bones. That way the bones won't effect them but they will move with the bones and I'm still able to move the seperatly as well. So they would be seperate objects.

If you were doing it in Maya (only used it a little so there may be a better way) you could perhaps add small bones where the armour is and parent them to the moving bones then assign weights so that the armour is only effected by the smaller none deforming bones.

Hope that helps a bit

Carl

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.