PDA

View Full Version : Wash DC area Lightwave Users Meeting

RobertoOrtiz
02-25-2003, 05:02 PM
The next meeting of the newly formed Lightwave DC user group will be on March 15 at the Capital Children's Museum animation lab. (http://www.ccm.org/).

More information about this upcoming meeting will be forthcoming.

We are a new group and can use all ideas and help.

Thanks

-Roberto
For more information, please contact me or Bill Knight at( daikiru@mindspring.com)

LittleFenris
02-25-2003, 06:21 PM
how do i get in on this meeting? i live near DC and use Lightwave. :) i'd consider myself pretty much a newbie at it, since i never give myself time to really learn it. ive done a few character models, and couple animations but thats about it. haven't gotten into serious texturing at all yet.

RobertoOrtiz
02-25-2003, 06:41 PM
If you have a pulse and know the secret handshake you only have to show up.

You do know the secret handshake right?

-R

Nicodemus
02-25-2003, 06:45 PM
And the password.....don't forget the password.

LOL

I will defiantely be there. Sorry I missed the last one but things have been a bit hectic. What did I miss from this one?

L:)

Thalaxis
02-25-2003, 06:52 PM
Mostly we talked about ideas on what to do as a group, decisions on what to do with the next meeting (CityBuilder), and some ideas for group projects to work on.

I'm also pretty much a newbie, and there are a few others in the group who consider themselves to be newbies, as well.

It's a good group. It will be fun :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Nicodemus
02-25-2003, 06:55 PM
Cool....I was at the first one. The group is pretty diverse but cool. I look forward to the next meeting.

L

LittleFenris
02-25-2003, 07:56 PM
i think i might show up to this meeting and check it out. i used to work right across the street from that museum so i know exactly where it is. my main goal right now it to start working on 3D characters for a side scrolling game Im in the process of designing at the moment. So i really need to start learning more complex modeling techniques and bones to animate the sprites I'll need for the game. :buttrock:

Nicodemus
02-25-2003, 10:08 PM
VW....which building. The Amtrak building? I worked there for about 2 and a half years on the third floor.

BTW, gotta like anyone that like VW's.

L

LittleFenris
02-25-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Nicodemus
VW....which building. The Amtrak building? I worked there for about 2 and a half years on the third floor.

BTW, gotta like anyone that like VW's.

L

i worked at 300 I ST. its an office building kiddy-corner to the museum. i used to go over to Waveworks on the 3rd floor of the Amtrak building all the time. where exactly did you work?

and yeah, anyone that likes VWs can't be half bad! ;)

Nicodemus
02-26-2003, 01:29 AM
I worked at Waveworks......LOL. I probably did some work with you or at least talked to you a few times.

L

LittleFenris
02-26-2003, 01:40 PM
cool. what part did you work in? were you the dude that did the 3D and after effects stuff? like the room that had all the posters and toys and stuff in it? :) or were you an editor or something? where do you work now? i work at a political ad agency in landover. www.marshcopsey.com

RobertoOrtiz
02-26-2003, 03:42 PM
Anyone else in this forum for the DC area?

:wavey:
-R

eheupel
02-26-2003, 03:50 PM
Yep. And I know of a few more that probably don't frequent this forum.

Tstokes
02-26-2003, 04:00 PM
Close, but maybe not close enough. I live in Yorktown, VA
and have been playing with Lightwave for a few years.
DC is about a 3 hour drive for me, wish you guys were
closer.

Tom Stokes

:wavey:

RobertoOrtiz
02-26-2003, 04:45 PM
Well the meetings are once a month usually on a Saturday.
Maybe you could come to every other meeting?

-R

Thalaxis
02-26-2003, 04:51 PM
You could try posting on the NewTek message boards -- it's possible that there's a user's group closer to you that you could join!

And if not, at least we're here :)

Nicodemus
02-26-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by VWTornado
cool. what part did you work in? were you the dude that did the 3D and after effects stuff? like the room that had all the posters and toys and stuff in it? :) or were you an editor or something? where do you work now? i work at a political ad agency in landover. www.marshcopsey.com

Yeah, thats me, the 3D/Aftereffects dude. Not working for Waveworks anymore. They closed the DC office and just downsized the VA office and moved out to McClean so I am out of work presently. So if you know anyone in need of an artist lemme know. I think I remember talking to you about Lightwave a couple times. How you been?

Leslie,:)

Thalaxis
02-26-2003, 06:29 PM
Sorry to hear that you're out of work... I got downsized right before the holidays in 2001. It was quite a bummer.

I don't have much by way of contacts outside of IT, though... the best that I could do is give you a referral to Northrop Grumman.

Nicodemus
02-26-2003, 10:30 PM
I'll take it. Northrop Grumman has a couple of openings for artists so I would be more than willing to work for them.

Leslie

Thalaxis
02-26-2003, 10:48 PM
Either give me an electronic copy of your CV, which I can pass on to the recruiter in my office, or give me a hard copy when we're both at a DC 'Waver meeting (probably not our official name, but it works for the lazy :)).

He'll want an electronic copy of a resume.

If you send me the job rec, if it includes the name of the hiring manager, I can forward your CV directly to them.

Nicodemus
02-26-2003, 11:24 PM
Cool...thanks, I appreciate that.

Thalaxis
02-26-2003, 11:34 PM
No problem.

Just make sure that you show up at the next DC 'Wavers meeting so that I at least know what you look like ;)

RobertoOrtiz
03-02-2003, 01:41 AM
More info on the next meeting:

Hello all. Thanks to those who braved the bad weather last week. I
believe
we are off to a very good start. Joshua has provided a printout of the
materials we all listed as available. I'll forward that soon. Also, I
have
communicated with Newtek,and I have some good news for the next
meeting, I
believe. Speaking of the next meeting, we are scheduled for March 15th,
1:00
pm at the captial children's museum. I have heard from a couple of new
folks, who are getting this message...welcome aboard.

For the next meeting, we are going to review a video tape on building
landscapes in preparation for starting our project for the museum. We
are
also going to each share what we know of the basic interfaces for both
modeler and layout so we can pass on any hidden gems. For those of you
who
were not at the last meeting, we decided that since we have enought
folks at
the basic level, that's where we would start...

Let me know what I have missed, and please spread the word..

Bill Knight

LittleFenris
03-03-2003, 02:51 PM
Yeah, thats me, the 3D/Aftereffects dude. Not working for Waveworks anymore. They closed the DC office and just downsized the VA office and moved out to McClean so I am out of work presently. So if you know anyone in need of an artist lemme know. I think I remember talking to you about Lightwave a couple times. How you been?

Leslie,:)

ok, now that you signed the message leslie, i definitely remember you. :) i was the tall blonde dude that came in a few times for tape dubs. i talked to you a few times while i was there. i'm actually looking for a job too, so i can't help ya there, sorry. :) i still have the job i had then, but we moved to landover from DC. i might just come to this meeting and say hi at least. :cool:

Shaun

proton
03-03-2003, 03:23 PM
I'll have to try and make it out to one of your meetings sometime after GDc and NAB....

Thalaxis
03-03-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by proton
I'll have to try and make it out to one of your meetings sometime after GDc and NAB....

That would be great! I know I would like to meet you, since I have not yet made it NAB or SIGGRAPH or any of the other conventions that you guys go to.

Nicodemus
03-03-2003, 05:34 PM
Yeah Shaun, you will have to show so we can catch up.

Have to agree with Thalaxis.....Proton in the house would be really cool. Guess that just means we will have to make it a point to Make the DC group work.

L

Thalaxis
03-03-2003, 06:50 PM
Yeah Shaun, you will have to show so we can catch up.

Have to agree with Thalaxis.....Proton in the house would be really cool. Guess that just means we will have to make it a point to Make the DC group work.

L

Nothing like a little incentive, eh?

RobertoOrtiz
03-10-2003, 04:07 PM
An update:

Hello all. Our next meeting is scheduled for Saturday the 15th at 1:00;Capital Children's Museum. In the interim, several important things have happened. First and foremost, Newtek has provided the museum with a copy of Lightwave, thank them very much! I believe the copy was delivered last Friday. At about the same time, LW7.5b was released as a free upgrade, again thank you Newtek. Therefore, in addition to the items we had scheduled (looking at the video on building cities, and looking at the
interface) I think we should also spend a little time reviewing what the new "patch" has provided.

Looking forward to seeing all of you.

Bill

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.