PDA

View Full Version : A cold morning in China ...

everlite
02-07-2007, 06:52 AM
Hey guys,

Found a nice pic and spent a few hours doing a paint over, let me know what you think. I'm a little unsure about the ice around the shore lines and the boat (center)

http://thedaveidentity.co.uk/web/chinaweb.jpg

To be honest i'm not quite sure where the pic was taken, forgive me if this isn't China http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon11.gif

- Dave.

mzee
02-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Looks really nice :thumbsup: - what i'm missing there is some snow on the tree.
And maybe also not that much leaf's on it.

everlite
02-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Hey thanks for the feedback. There's light snow on a few trees but given the low desensity of the leaves i figured the snow might have fallen off, let me know what you think. What do you think about the ice in the water? i was really unsure about this.

Cheers again - Dave.

JJASSO
02-07-2007, 05:21 PM
great painting david, very beliavable, but yes I agree with the trees issue, or leave them without leaves or put some snow on them, they look out of place just like they are now
nice one !

Matellis
02-07-2007, 05:29 PM
yeah great work! I agree with the other , maybe add a little snow and maybe make the leaves more red and yellow it might add some nice contrast in there.

Cheers dude , great work

everlite
02-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Cheers guys, i'll add snow to the trees and see what i ca ncome up with.

- Dave.

XYZRGB
02-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Very,very nice !

I wouldn't have noticed the leaves issue...but now that it is mentioned....yah...I agree. The leaves need some color corection and some snow on the leaves ( just a bit though ).

As far as the ice in the water, it looks fine to me, but the more I look at it, the more I am begining to notice that it does not seem random enough. There are a lot of ice patches that are the same shape and size. Perhaps you can break some of them up a little and add some pieces that have cracked off at sharp angles vs. the round shapes that you have now.

Just a humble suggestion : What would really finish this piece in my opinion would be to add some life to it.
Personally, I really like the calm mood that you have with this piece, and think a flock of ducks way off in the distance would give life to the piece,but not draw your focus to them.
( And it would be easy to do :) )

I would really like to see this one make it to the front page. I think it's that good.
Simple, but effective.

Well done !

everlite
02-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Hey thanks, really appreciate your feedback.

I'm just about to work on the trees, see what i can do, i'll give thought to the rest also, though ducks might be pushing it a little :) Give me an hour or so and i'll repost.

Cheers again - Dave.

everlite
02-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Ok, here's an update, a few subtle changes to reflect previous comments, i've toned the trees down slightly, sharpened the ice and added a little sugar coating to the trees. I've always found tree's to be my biggest challenge when overpainting snow, never look quite right. Oh and i've even added a few ducks coming in for landing ... and taking off again cause the waters way too cold :) Unless anyone can come up with any major suggestions that pretty much wraps that one up for now, i'm working on another that will soon need your thoughts.

Cheers again for all your feedback, really means a lot.

- Dave.

everlite
02-07-2007, 11:36 PM
Oh, and the pic itself, that helps :-)

Edit: i've just added a little cloth, let me know what you think, does it work ??

http://www.thedaveidentity.co.uk/web/chinaweb3.jpg

dude5487
02-08-2007, 06:15 AM
I would like to see more snow on the tress on the left side of the image as well as on the big tree on the right, only if it works though.

Good work!

Rapiernet
02-08-2007, 01:02 PM
That's a very nice picture.

everlite
02-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Cheers for the positive feedback guys.

Thta's it for this one. Credit should also go to the original photographer, it was a great pic to begin with:

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/when/nighttime/2583633_bridge_over_shallow_stream.php?id=2583633

Cheers again - Dave.

AnimZiggy
02-08-2007, 06:39 PM
lovely image Dave.... the ice is really believable...love the birds in the distance too...perhaps they seem too aligned..? the top two.
and maybe the main roof on the right strucks out tooo white, comparing to the other ones...

but these are only comments from me, listen to the pros... fantastic imageee!

everlite
02-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Cheers Ismini :thumbsup:

Arrrgh4life
02-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Wow, thats really cool. I dont know alot about matte paintings, but as far as the ice goes, on the right side it looks real nice, but over on the left, it seems like the ice should be brighter, especially on some of the bigger blocks. The other thing, which I am not sure I am right about, is the water close to the image looks like its moving a little fast, or to much to have the ice, maybe tone down the ripples.

nickmarshallvfx
02-12-2007, 02:23 AM
Beautiful work everlight!
Very hard to spot what is painted and what is photo, your colours really read as being real! Look forward to seeing more of your work!

Nick

everlite
02-12-2007, 06:08 AM
Cheers guys, really appreciate your continued comments. I'm a little confused if people are beginning to think that i painted the whole thing, not the case, only the additional elements, and painted out the people, not too fantastic really. Personally i give more credit to the photographer, he caught the moment :thumbsup:

A small tip for anyone not too familar with the process, when doing a paint over and trying to maintain the correct colours the ALT key is your best friend. Keep the brush selected then click the alt key to sample surrounding areas and release. That's the basic technique to keeping the same tones, and doing it alot, i usually sample surrounding colours every 3-5 seconds.

Hey, do the flags / material look right in the final version? I was unsure about this.

Cheers again - Dave.

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2007, 06:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.