PDA

View Full Version : Particle FX problem

LightFreeze
02-25-2003, 10:21 AM
Attached is a small scene which I cannot get to render properly.

This is for the VFX challenge as Im trying to get a thin band between good flesh and disintegrated flesh to emit particles

The big sphere has a colour band placed relative to the null that orbits it .The colour band is just a marker for where the sphere should be emitting particles.

What I seem to get is a random works/doesnt work result, Ive tried disableing auto update and if I run through with FXstart the particles appear where they should but try to render a test frame and the particles disappear.

I get the feeling its some setting on the hypervoxels but Ive copyed that to the orbit null and it shows up in the test render.I dont think its my system(winXP Athlon1700 384MB ram) although it does think for a while with the FX start

Hope its something daft Ive done

LightFreeze
02-25-2003, 10:22 AM
damn no attachment...

will get back to you

LightFreeze
02-25-2003, 10:40 AM
The scene file is available at my website (http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/lightfreeze/) hope you can help.

Just in case Its my machine, what should happen is a band of colour should rotate round the sphere facing towards the orbiting null. This band should be emitting particles which are hypervoxeled(if thats a word).

So if it works fine for you please let me know

Thanks

LightFreeze
02-25-2003, 03:23 PM
with thanks to Red_Oddity on the newtek forum it appears this behaviour is a bug,
the particle buffer gets deleted by the hypervoxel pass so the solution is to run FXstart and then save the particle motion file to hd
why do I feel like Im talking to myself

who said that??

Corn Dog
02-25-2003, 03:27 PM
Im listening, I'm going to d/l your scene and play with it for fun if thatas ok.

zuzzabuzz
02-25-2003, 03:49 PM
I don't know what it is about your scene that crushes my machine, but it does.

I started over and made a new scene, based on what you described. Hopefully it'll help you out.

The scene can be found @ http://www.unm.edu/~buzzbuzz/PFX.zip

LightFreeze
02-25-2003, 04:11 PM
Thank you zuzzabuzz thats a technique that might work and if I put the emitter on to null1 and parent them both to another which then tracks up the arm...

Aint lightwave fun

:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.