View Full Version : Dominance War II: Mashru

fx81
02-07-2007, 03:01 AM
Latest Update:

http://www.fx81.com/DWII/dwmmz4.jpg

Final Concept:

http://www.fx81.com/DWII/zcf1.jpg

Story:
They belongs to the ancient race known as the "zaahrans". They have been here for no one knows how long, but for the last hundred years they have secluded themselves in ethereal grounds. The recent spread of terror, evil and destruction in the mortal planets have disturbed them. It is time for them to take control of the grounds that have always belonged to them. It is time for the ancients to take back what is theirs.

Proficiencies: Stealth, Defence, Hand to Hand Combat, Assasination & Exorcism.

TheFirstAngel
02-07-2007, 05:12 AM
just came to subscribe wish you best luck and lots of fun. let it rock mate :beer::buttrock::wip:

rasmusW
02-07-2007, 10:41 AM
just popping by to say good luck, buddy.
bet yours gonna be a killer.

-r

collings
02-07-2007, 01:58 PM
hi Mashru, can't wait to see your first concept man !
I'm sure your entry will be awesome :thumbsup:

tin-tin
02-09-2007, 01:55 AM
Hey mashru just wanna say good luck to you I'm sure it will be awesome

Airflow
02-09-2007, 02:41 AM
Same here, watching the ensuing destruction with glee....

fx81
02-11-2007, 02:00 PM
thanks for the replies people :)

concept updated in first post.

Rebeccak
02-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Awesome sketch! Can't wait to see your fantastic work develop. :)

stabbington
02-11-2007, 02:26 PM
looking great mashru! think his shoulders may be a little low but nonetheless i love the detailing and design you've worked in, especially on his accessories :)

keep up the good work!

collings
02-11-2007, 06:27 PM
your sketch looks great man, let's go on the modeling stage :scream:

fx81
02-11-2007, 06:37 PM
@Rebecca - thanks :)

@bonzepeet - thanks, the shoulder are intentionally low. it because he has bigger trapezius and longer neck. final model may actually have even lower shoulders.

@collings - thanks. actually i am still in the concepting phase. wont start modeling until next week end i think. i need to revisit certain areas of the concept and develope the weapons design more. since i work fulltime i can only work on the week ends. so stay tuned and hang on. ;)

ximage
02-11-2007, 06:59 PM
yeh your sketch rocks ass. be good to see this strong start developed even more. keep it going!

ximage

rasmusW
02-12-2007, 08:00 AM
hey mashru!

now i'm really sure it's gonna be a killer:)
-beautyful concept and nice background story.

-r

polygonwarrior
02-13-2007, 03:58 PM
would be following ur thread my friend.good concept.

Frostics
02-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Great work there senior.
I really like the work you've done for the concept.

fx81
02-20-2007, 05:15 AM
i started to block in the shapes, here is the first sculpt:

http://www.fx81.com/DWII/dwmmz1.jpg

i am still undecided about the weapons but i think i want something more magical and simple looking like may be spheres or cubes or pyramids floating.

stabbington
02-20-2007, 12:03 PM
crikey, that was quite a speedy leap into a great model! good job, i really like the idea of having simple floating objects as weapons, as always ;)

fx81
02-21-2007, 12:58 PM
thanks bonzepeet, its just a rough sculpt to figure out the shapes. i will be modeling the actualy hard surfaces within maya and use the sculpt as a template. i will show progress of that as i move forward.

defined the head anatomy a little more:

http://www.fx81.com/DWII/dwmmz2.jpg

jramauri
02-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Great work, Mashru, both on concept and in modeling. Very impressive your first sculpture. Looking forward to see more!

MrEric
02-22-2007, 12:13 AM
Great modeling. about the weapon. A floating pyramid with nice lookin Emissive will fit to this char ;)

collings
02-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Hi mashru, the concept looks cool, good design.
About your first sculpt, it's hard to comment since it's in a rough stage.
About the head, i think it looks great, dig the eyes and mouth area so far.

can't wait to see more progress man :)

Pdude2K7
02-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Good job so far Mashru, The only crit I have so far is that I think his ear is too small,

but other then that look very interesting:thumbsup: .

Keep it up.

-Pdude2K7

fx81
02-25-2007, 12:19 AM
thanks collings :)

thanks Maxim. i do agree about the ears, but they may not be visible in the final model. i just sculped it for fun :)

ok, i did another iteration on the z-concept so bare with me please.

let me know what you all think of the latest design although its very very rough.

i wanted to bring an organic armor feeling and yet try to stay away from making it evil (cause i am here to kill the evil polycounters) :twisted:

http://www.fx81.com/DWII/dwmmz3.jpg

anyways i think the design/concept stage is the most challenging as it seems since i dont own a concept slave :P but i hope to start the poly modeling by next week. so stay tuned.

sriramatrix
02-26-2007, 08:43 AM
hey,nice concept Mashru !! I like the detail in the model you've got sofar! The armour has a very good organic feel to it.
looking forward to updates :)

jesuisankit
02-26-2007, 10:13 AM
hey mashru... some really amazing scuplting work in there so far.... :) waiting to see more updates on it... keep up the gr8 work...:D:thumbsup:

XeroWolf
02-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Just dropping by to pay my respects to your awesome shadow mashru. That guy looks totally badass. :buttrock:

Airflow
02-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Damn, Im out of it for a while and people start getting delusions of granduer.... Brillian work mate. I like how you stepped up your game...

veedubb
02-27-2007, 07:57 PM
lookin pretty good, his head doesnt really look properly connected though, it looks like its gonna pop off or sumthin. but other than that you have some pretty interesting shapes goin on in the armour. keep it up!

ximage
02-27-2007, 09:05 PM
This is looking good so far, like the direction its going in. I can imagine trying to sculpt the body in one lump is pushing your comp to the limits, unless you have somekind of super beast of a computer. keep it up :scream:

ximage

fx81
02-28-2007, 02:41 AM
thanks Sri Ram, you should have participated, cgtalk can use your talents :)

thanks Ankit, Roger, Robert

thanks Vincent, i am worried about the neck area too. i will work on it.

thanks Daniel. there wont be any only blob of sculpt. this is actually more of a concept and works as a template for the poly modeling. this wont be used for anything else other than that, not even for normal mapping.
in short i planned my work flow to be like this:

1. finalize concept through rough sculpts.
2. model high poly character based on above sculpt.
3. isolate parts of high poly that needs sculpts and sculpt them separately.
4. assemble high poly mesh with sculpted mesh
5. model low res mesh
6. transfer normal/occlution map from high to low mesh.
7. texture maps

as you can see i am in step 1 only :(, since i only get week ends to work on, i am severly delayed. but i will keep trying. however, steps 4-7 wont take more than few days. step 2 and 3 is what i must worry about.

fx81
03-12-2007, 03:11 AM
ok, i am now officially moving on to step 2 :D. pretty much done finalizing the concept and will move to retopo this. i dont know if i can finish in time but wish me luck.

here is a mudbox screen. i desided to go with a sword and a bladed frisbee type weapon.

http://www.fx81.com/DWII/dwmmz4.jpg

monkeycorn
03-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Very interesting design, and I'm curious to see how you end up texturing this guy. Keep up the great work.

sriramatrix
03-13-2007, 03:52 AM
Hey man,fantastic update ! I really like the feel of the final conpcet;the weapons are gonig pretty well with his body too..very cool!
Looking forward to updates,and good luck with the deadline,I hope you'll finsh it on time

I wish I'd participated too;thanks for your kind words :)
...but then,I had to choose between my Dinotaur and the war..hehe..well,next time for sure:D

erik_j
03-13-2007, 05:42 PM
really cool ancienty look! very nice concept details!
with the extended deadline I really hope you'll make it into something great! :)
my only ciritique is that it's kind of cluttered with detail.. maybe just the concept but otherwise I'd employ a bit of simplicity on some areas.

Yung
03-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Wow very nice shapes you have there! I especially like the frisbee! The sword however could you use a bigger/ heavier pommel as counterweight. Maybe just a slightly bigger then the current one at the end? Still I like your sword a lot! I could see the frisbee being double as a shield thingy. Keep it up!

fx81
03-13-2007, 06:08 PM
yes, the new deadline sure make life easier. i now have two more weekends to work on :)

thanks Chris, SriRam,

@Erik. i do plan to have details of all sizes and it will be simple in some areas and complex in others so that you can make out the shapes far away and still see nice details in close up. thanks :)

@Tommy. good crits. thanks.

i will post the retopo body soon

ChrRambow
03-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Great progress! ... new Deadline?! ... Wonderful :)

So go on ;) ... i really would like to see your finished model.

iatriki
03-15-2007, 10:09 PM
looks nice. it reminds me of the characters that victor sntaquiteria has on his page.
(http://www.santaquiteria.net/)

fx81
03-16-2007, 01:18 AM
thanks, i started retopo in topogun. this is about half hour on the head:

http://www.fx81.com/DWII/retopo1.jpg

hope to finish up the body soon.

@ Andrei. thanks, thats interesting. actualy i was influenced by some of the works of Takayuki Takeya. (http://www.takayukitakeya.com/)

ill_logic
03-16-2007, 03:33 AM
looking damn good! i really like how you went about implimenting that ancient design into a very unorthodox, yet neat organic (yet-not) design! very cool. if there was one thing i'd just say that in through is chest area on the right, that bit doesn't seem as defined/ detailed as the rest of him. like even on the left side of the chest, the ridges are more defined & sharper. but up on the right, they seem a little washier & it seems like that would be a great place for more detail. that's just a knitpick kind of thing though. very cool though! can't wait to see how it progresses!

thanks for your help too, by the way!

-J

Yung
03-16-2007, 06:47 AM
Man I really want to try out this topogun. Looks really useful. Subscribed and sign up for beta but wasn't chosen...yet. Is this similar to Cyslice?

Anyway....no crits for now, except praises and encouragement. I really like yours a lot, though I noticed that everyone is starting to have a melee weapon or something. Looking good otherwise, and keep it up.

fx81
03-25-2007, 01:59 AM
ok, another weekend and a long overdue update but nothing 3d. this is the final concept for submission in the winning pose on the stand which is very simple.

http://www.fx81.com/DWII/zcf1.jpg

i am finishing up the high res and will pose screen shots tomorrow. i hope i can finish in time so wish me luck.

ps. dont laugh at me cause i am submitting the final concept 2 days before deadline :)

iatriki
03-25-2007, 02:06 AM
great concept. I hope that you'll finish in time. :)

GavinG
03-25-2007, 02:08 AM
Smae here man. Beautiful concept, hope you get to finish this guy on time :)

Gav

johnwoo
03-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Fo' sure 1 of the most original armour designs I have seen! everything works!...the result you got on the high detail has some very cool and interesting volumes...keep going this is kicking butt!!....:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
03-25-2007, 03:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.