PDA

View Full Version : WIP my first Matte Painting

colasf
02-06-2007, 10:48 PM
this is my first Matte Painting http://www.onirik.be/photos/galleries/MattePainting.jpeg

colasf
02-08-2007, 11:33 AM
http://www.onirik.be/photos/galleries/mattePainting.jpg

please critic

jbfmoore
02-15-2007, 07:58 AM
For Being your first matte painting I would say that this is not a bad start at all. Granted, I am no master, I am simply an art student who is just learning as much as he can as well.

Overall I would say that the progression so far is definately getting better. Right now though, I would say that the image seems a little too washed out? Kind of hard to explain. The compositing of the houses, etc for the small village you have going on has improved too. They definately feel more rooted int he ground and not just placed there. However, I still think you need some more visual elements to break up the houses/buildings from the ground. Whether it be roads or what not, something to break up the scenery. As it stands right now it just seems too empty maybe.

Definately moving in a better direction from the first image. Keep working on it. It'll only get better. :)

The main thing to always try to keep in mind is perspective. The nature of the game is to not make the perspective 100% perfect, but to give the impressino or illusion that the perspective is right. You can always force perspective, etc. But one thing that will hep you when you work with cities, etc is to make sure all the buildings are in the same perspective and going to the same vanishing point.

Hope I didnt sound to harsh or anything. I know it is a WIP and it is definately improving from the first image you posted. :)

Keep it up. :D

nickmarshallvfx
02-25-2007, 12:42 AM
I would extend the midground so that it doesn't look so seperate from the background, and give the hill going off the side a banking coz it doesn't look like it has been weathered by the lake, would expect a banking of some sort. I think you need to push the windmill back a bit too, its a bit too eye-catching right now. Nice work tho, keep at it!

Nick

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2007, 12:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.