PDA

View Full Version : the gas ocean

Matellis
02-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Hey everyone , just thought I would start a new thread with my lastest matte I am working on , i think its about 75% complete now.

I am trying to figure out what i will do with the top left sky , its to dark now and needs somthing. Also I am still trying to come up with a better design for the structure that is on that cliff. The greenish mist there is something i just started playing around with , just a basic photoshop air brush just to get an idea of what it will look like , any crits would be great :)

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2025/rocky17ee5.jpg

Cheers

Rebeccak
02-07-2007, 02:49 AM
Heya Matt,

Looking good overall, I think I mentioned everything I thought of as suggestions eg tightening up some of the painted edges to match the photographic elements - subscribed and looking forward to more. :)

JJASSO
02-07-2007, 04:24 AM
Hi matt , I agree with Rebeccak about those edges, I think the aereal perspective and atmosphere of the background elements does not match your sky

I see some other issue with your palette, I think you're using redish rocks and in the sky I see green tones, so maybe you would like to colorize all to redish tones or add some green textures to the rocks like in the foreground left rock
the sky still looks sketchy
but well I know you're still working on it I will look forward to this image keep it up !

Matellis
02-07-2007, 05:16 AM
Hey rebecca and Jaime thanks for the replies. Great you mentioned the colors Jaime I didnt even notice a lot of what you said. Been staring at this thing for so long I think I kinda lost track. I will start fixing up every you mentioned. thanks for the help :)

Cheers!

Matellis
02-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Alright I have changed a lot but still much work to do.

This will be my entry for this months gnomon workshop challenge , the theme is "lonely outpost"

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/4080/rocky20vi6.jpg

CodeNothing
02-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Nice! though your original pallete worked better. To make this sky work you either need to yellow up the ground (especially the blu-green myst in the distance) Or make the sky's shadow side a bit darker and overall less saturated.

I loved the original as an alien landscape. I think the left side needed that 'distant light horizon' bellow the clouds though. And some lightning either striking or just illuminating inside the clouds would have cured the sky on the left. It was an awsome color pallete. I suggest going back to it. :thumbsup:
Great work hope to see more!

Matellis
02-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Hey thanks for the reply Codenothing , yeah i just decided to change most of the matte. I just wasnt liking much of it at all so here is the update so far , lots left to do but I feel this has a stronger composition then the last :)

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/7946/rocky33pr3.jpg

Cheers

Kutkin
02-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Cool suff Matt!

Looking really nice!
Keep it up

cheers

AnimZiggy
02-14-2007, 11:18 AM
hey matt,

comp it looks for me too busy on the right.. and the river, i hope it's a river, should have a continuation 'for the eye' u know, u can't see where it's ending really... if it's not a river then expand it maybe to the left behind the first rocks to look like its connecting with the sea.
by all means its a stronger composition! keep it up...

my two cents from my POV ;P

Matellis
02-16-2007, 11:34 PM
Hey thanks for the reply!

Here is where I am at now with the matte , getting close to finished , maybe 80% there
Some crits would be great

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/3548/rocky37hc7.jpg

LightSovereign
02-17-2007, 06:35 AM
Im am sold on the green palette. its wonderfully done, that colour ties everything in i think and adds to a great atmosphere, one almost thinks they are in the Outworlds of Mortal Kombat (artistically very influential for me).. Perhaps the forground rocks near centre left are in need of maybe a slight colour adjustment, they seem to stick out a little, but not much..

This is great work, congratulations on this!

Marley

kbarts
02-17-2007, 07:56 AM
Better and better!

But i think this rock color not right. Try less red. More gree/yellow.

http://kbarts.hu/tmp/rck.jpg

Bence

SamsonsReaper
02-17-2007, 08:03 PM
i agree with kbarts, there is also some rocks to the most right where its abit too much green also there are some brushstrokes where you have no texture

Matellis
02-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Hey thanks a lot for the crits guys , very helpful! I will take care of all the issues mentioned tonight hopefully.

Cheers!

JJASSO
02-18-2007, 05:54 PM
much nicer and original, I agree with that color issue, I like a lot the foreground water and sand detail, great one, try to blend the colors better to colorize all of them with the same colors
looking forward to see the final image

Matellis
02-20-2007, 03:51 PM
update!

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/2964/rocky42yq7.jpg

Thanks for the crits everyone:)

Right now im just playing around with the idea that there are some creatures flying around the ord kind of like moths do. Just basic now but I think this matte will need a little bit of life going on so thats what i have come up with so far.

Cheers!

Matellis
02-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Hey folks , finally finished it , thou it looks more like a painting then a matte lol there are some photos in there most are quite painted over.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3056/lighthousefinalsmallfh6.jpg

Cheers

Rebeccak
02-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Matt, I love how this turned out, and as I said in your CGP I think this is your best piece yet! :) The front rock now looks much more integrated with the whole piece and gives the far / focus piece rock its proper attention. I think you really pulled off the bird well, kudos for making that tricky element work. Love the unified emotion of this piece, I think if you keep at this level or above you'll really be cooking with oil. :)

nickmarshallvfx
02-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Really nice end result Matellis! I love the lighting in the end matte. Got a bit more of an illustration feelto it than a matte I think, but when I look it has photo texture so I can't quite explain that :shrug:
Good luck with the contest anyway. This is a very worthy entry :)

Nick

byvfx
02-27-2007, 10:57 PM
looks great, i like composition in this.

kbarts
02-28-2007, 07:10 AM
wow. No more crit. It is finished. I like what you did !

JJASSO
02-28-2007, 05:01 PM
great final image , love the composition and theme , congratulations

everlite
02-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Very well done, nice painting. My only crit been the sky looks a little too photo real for the painted area to the right.

:thumbsup:

AnimZiggy
03-01-2007, 10:32 AM
you definatelly nailed this one yeah.. great hope you win the dvds :)

SamsonsReaper
03-01-2007, 01:55 PM
it looks great man! well done :thumbsup:

Inlakechh
03-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Great, Matt .... it's much better now. Turned out really nice. Congrats
And good luck about the Dvds. I'm pretty sure you gonna win something ;) ...

Matellis
03-05-2007, 03:47 AM
wow thanks for all the great relies everyone :D
Its very inspiring and makes me want to try even harder!

Cheers! and thanks again :)

Matellis
03-05-2007, 01:40 PM
The results for the Gnomon workshop challenge were just posted and I got first place!!! woohooo I finally dont have to watch the sample clips :D

Contest Results here (http://forums.thegnomonworkshop.com/showthread.php?t=455)

My image in the 2d gallery (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=468531)

Thanks everyone again for the kind words :)

Cheers!

everlite
03-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Hey nice one mate :) so did you win any prizes or anything?

- Dave.

kbarts
03-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Congratulation! Keep posting! ;)

Matellis
03-05-2007, 02:07 PM
thanks guys!
Yup David I won 40 gnomon dvds :D woooohhooo

Rebeccak
03-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Wooo! Big congrats Matt, you deserve it! :applause: Now, send half of those DVDs to me and everything will be all good! :D

everlite
03-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Geeze! you lucky git :-) 40 dvds, i bet that's pretty much all of em.

Well deserved :thumbsup:

AnimZiggy
03-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Wooo! Big congrats Matt, you deserve it! :applause: Now, send half of those DVDs to me and everything will be all good! :D

now i predicted he would win and wished him my precious luck i want the other half :twisted:

congrats btw :wise:

Matellis
03-05-2007, 03:57 PM
lol i want to have some dvds too! this is just great thou , working at a gas station doesnt really give me the cash to be able to buy these so im very excited to have won this :D Im hoping this is exactly what I need to become employable:)

Cheers again

su
03-05-2007, 06:44 PM
congrats! I saw the results at school today, I knew you'd won :)

nickmarshallvfx
03-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Congrats Matt. Your painting suddenly really came into its own as you acted on the comments, and your hard work deserved the pay-off. Hope this gets you where you want to be. I can't wait to try again next month now :)

Nick

everlite
03-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Hey Mate,

Im hoping this is exactly what I need to become employable

Focus on creating photo realism. The artwork you created was great but not photo realistic, and it tends to be photo realism that milks the old cow i think :-) especially with matte paintiings. Only a contructive crit, but if you can create a final image that looks photo real, by whatever means, comp, 3d, paint, then that will get you going :-)

Wish you well.

- Dave.

CGTalk Moderation
03-06-2007, 08:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.