PDA

View Full Version : topology for animating

money_bags42
02-25-2003, 09:01 AM
any good examples of shoulders / elbows / groins ;) on humanoid models out there that are setup to have good deformations when animated?

i've seen the tube animation thing with the 'V' seams and all, but im still not 100% sure how to apply it to characters very well..

Gibbz
02-25-2003, 09:08 AM
jsut checking ur portfolio
nice ut2k3 levels there ;) love the tumor one :D
nice style u got going there ;)

tpe
02-25-2003, 09:31 AM
Hmnn, i dont think there is a hard and fast way to do things.

There are several points that help.

1, Most importantly find an easy way of changing your rig setup. then you can test more often.

2, Before you start, make sure that anything rigid can be isolated to be rigid in the geometry (by putting your v seams in (i prefere to have at least 2 sets of circumferal verts round each joint, anything on the bone side of them can be rigid, and anything on the joint side can be deformable.

3, make sure your joints are in the right place (ie the pivot) then dump a test animation on and run it several times, etc etc. Make sure that they really are in the right place all over before going any further, then it is test, if it is not right then change the positions and test again. It is also very easy to start again here, and if you are not quite happy often a good idea

4, edit the vertex weighting around the joints. a good start is to make everything rigid, then take some of the verts near the inside of the joints and give them influence from 2 bones and the ones from the outside of the joints only one bone (you will find this works very well on the elbow. Test as much as possible here again.

5 final tweeking changing the relative weights of verts with two bone influences, and it should be done .

tpe

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.