PDA

View Full Version : Blending after blocking colors

Diabolos
02-06-2007, 02:28 PM
So, I am starting on my first digital painting, I pretty much understand the blocking technique and keeping your basic color schemes somewhere on the drawing for easy reference. When I go to blend the colors that I have just blotted on, my laptop (P4 3,6 ghz / 2GB ram) comes to a grinding halt. I am painting at 3000 X 3000 @300dpi, and when I go to use the smudge tool nothing works right. What is the actual technique of blending the colors? I have scored through a ton of tuts, but they seem to jump over this part (I guess it is assumed that the painter knows this already). Thanks in advance for any tips.

D,

Datameister
02-07-2007, 02:09 AM
Using the Smudge tool on a 3000x3000 pixel image probably isn't the way to go. Now, I've never painted on a 3.2 gHz machine (lucky bum :D), but I'd imagine that even a fast computer would have some trouble there.

If you're going to use the Smudge tool, work on a much smaller image and then upres it. Bit for now, try working without the Smudge tool. It's got some uses, but in the beginning, you're better off blending directly with the Brush tool. You can do this by using a technique I call SAPALO--"sample and paint at low opacity." Alt-click a color to sample it, then paint over the hard edges with either low pressure or low opacity. Now sample one of the new colors and paint with it, and keep repeating this until you get a fairly even blend. You can also try dabbing the colors in, rather than scribbling them, if you'd like.

For more info on this technique, check out the huge "Digital Painting in PS" thread in the Photoshop forum of conceptart.org/forums.

Diabolos
02-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Thank you for the tips I will try them out.

D,

Diabolos
02-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Here are the results - I am quite happy with the background, it's as I imagined it in my head, but my bot looks like crap - I guess back to the drawing board and tutorial hunt.....

D,

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m34/diabolosgermany/warLord_paint.jpg

Ian Jones
02-08-2007, 10:09 AM
It's all about practice, your just starting don't expect to be over the moon at your first 20 paintings. You are noodling around with the colours a bit, pick a stronger light source and work in stronger value changes across your forms. Don't be afraid to get out a harder brush an lay down some obvious strokes, smudging everything will do just that... smudge it.

Datameister
02-09-2007, 04:24 AM
Ian's right. Pick a direction for your light source and stick with it. And avoid smudging for now.

Diabolos
02-09-2007, 07:43 AM
Thank you for the tips....

D,

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2007, 07:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.