PDA

View Full Version : Dominance War II: 2byts

MasonDoran
02-06-2007, 08:32 AM
Heh,,,got a sketch done already. I am going the Splinter Cell route with stealth, hand to hand combat, and hiTech recon/spying.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/3558/spyreposelinartrz4.jpg

MasonDoran
02-06-2007, 08:33 AM
doing the color sketch now...

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/6874/spyreposegroundpc7.jpg

MasonDoran
02-06-2007, 08:35 AM
starting to fill out the values now

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/6053/spyreposegreyscale02yq2.jpg

MasonDoran
02-06-2007, 08:36 AM
finished color concept....at this point i will start modelling

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7481/spyreposelinartcoloredkm8.jpg

Equinoxx
02-06-2007, 08:37 AM
that's looking a mightyfine concept right there.

one thing though, It doesn't breath 'ancient' too much, might want to incorporate that somewhat more (although 'ancient' is a relative term I know)

MasonDoran
02-06-2007, 08:40 AM
here were some other ideas that i rejected

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/9136/spyconceptsmx4.jpg

Seebaer
02-06-2007, 08:41 AM
i think it's really really nice, and it fits ancient, because ancient cultures got MUCH time to develope their technic, so it's a nice shadow...*jealous* :thumbsup:

MasonDoran
02-06-2007, 09:27 AM
ouch...i really didnt read the "ancient" part

I did read future and hiTech....

eMysfit
02-06-2007, 09:44 AM
And who would be more hi-tech than a race that has been around long enough to be dubbed ancient? If you don't want to change now I wouldn't really say you had too...but yeah...I'd maybe give it a little thought...maybe...I dunno....it's awfully good the way it is.

It's an awesome picture though. Maybe just give a little backstory to it(through type heh) and convince everyone he's ancient.

Clanger
02-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Looking excellent :thumbsup:

If the ancient thing bothers just stick a few rune like symbols here and there I wouldn't change anything else.

MasonDoran
02-06-2007, 12:22 PM
yeah....the hard part is that i already started the modelling phase. It would be really detrimental to lose time. Thanks for the support...and there should be room to maneuver in the texturing phase to get something archaic going on.

System404
02-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Great concept. I have to agree with everyone though there's not much "ancient" about him.
it'll be interesting to see how you incorporate that in to this concept. good luck!:thumbsup:

Testament
02-06-2007, 04:34 PM
I don't agree with the whole "not acient" thing...just because it's an acient race doesn't mean they have to look like their 120 years old. I mean , your character doesn't look one bit acient to me either System404, but I like it.

I'm sure as hell not making my character old and I'm definetly not giving him mayan clothing.

Besides, the year is 3106, acient can be our time, who knows...their not even from the same planet so they can be mega advanced looking, or maybe they're like elves, they look young even though they are hundreds of years old.

Just use your imagination, that's where the cool struff comes from.
Old Man soldier = NOT COOL LOOKING.

Keep at it bro. looking good.

coCoKNIght
02-06-2007, 04:36 PM
For me ancient has nothing to do with runes and thelike, it just means that the're more developed in one way or an other and perhaps that their stuff and methods are very different from what one would expect.
It's a really nice sketch, and done in just a few minutes as it seems fom the posttimes :scream:
I'd say stick to it :thumbsup:

MasonDoran
02-06-2007, 07:24 PM
heh....well I am a confessed splinter cell versus mode addict...so I started on this visual concept before the official announcement on Feb. 3. The dates are actually fantastic for me...because just now I can invest quite a bit of time on this.

I am presuming its good to show WIPs......so I will have some geometry to show very soon.

MasonDoran
02-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Dont want to stop.....this is really fun

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7992/bootar7.jpg

MasonDoran
02-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Another screen shot...

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5186/boot2td1.jpg

MasonDoran
02-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Oh...and here is a mid-res model before I take it into Mudbox.

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/1743/modelrenderhi3xr3.jpg

VortexCA
02-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Hi 2byts I've been enjoying the process of your character, I would like to know something about your process since I want to enter also in the contest but I'm not too much into low poly modeling, do you have already a low rez cage?, or are you going to model it after doing the hi poly?

Thanks, and congratulations, he's a strong character!

Vortex

MasonDoran
02-07-2007, 05:49 PM
I did a real time model first (i can post screenshots if you want) and then using smooth proxy in Maya i did a lot creasing of edges to get the sharp look which is often lost in smoothing.

From there i built up a mid res mesh which u see above. This is to create the geometry lines that i need for the armor. Once I have the mesh pretty much modelled to the way i like...I cut up individual pieces and take them into mudbox.

To speed up work flow...i created selection sets in Maya that were retained when I imported the mesh into mudbox.

Reason is, I dont want to subdivide the entire mesh...I just want to concentrate in one region and feel free to go as high poly as i can. From there, I will open the corresponding real time mesh with correct UVs and bake the normals.

The two files do not need to have any relation with point order or anything...as long as they are in the same proximity.

zeke3d
02-07-2007, 07:14 PM
the stealth guy is looking pretty sharp, please let us see the low poly mesh! :)

MasonDoran
02-07-2007, 10:15 PM
this is the low poly mesh...it is UVd already....but after further development with the midRes mesh I will go back and tweek it to fit more to the normal map. You know how it is with creativity...sometimes things just come up in the process. I basically took this mesh, put a proxy on it (subD) and brought out some more detailing to help guide me with the normal mapping.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3313/modelrenderqm7.jpg

Cyborgguineapig
02-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Wow coming along which reminds me I should probably get going myself:D I'm curious to see how you will normal map this. I'm not too sure how to do it because of all the creases and 90 degree angles created by the high poly mesh. I'm thinking about UV mapping my low res and then doing seperate normal map passes for each part of the mesh, then combining those layers into one file in photoshop. I don't know if that makes sense. :hmm:

Anyways I'll be looking to your next update:)

zeke3d
02-08-2007, 12:03 AM
ahh, there it is! I suggest getting rid of unneeded sharp angle changes of direction, like on his belly, that will normal map better without that hard edge, you can then take those unused polys somewhere else to make him smoother or rounder

MasonDoran
02-08-2007, 09:08 AM
i agree on the sharp edges on the belly. Such situations are more appropriate for the normal map. The low poly mesh is certianly not final....it was pretty much the step before going to the mid res mesh. I did a bit of baking tests on the normals for the boot....and it worked wonderfully. But to enhance the quality of the normal map i think i am going to change some topology on the low poly mesh.

Cyborg...i am doing exactly that...normal mapping pieces at a time and then compositing them in photoshop.

tip: you can blend seperate normal maps perfectly using the "overlay" blend mode.

aesir
02-08-2007, 09:23 AM
his feet look a bit too small.

katzeimsack
02-08-2007, 10:03 AM
really nice concept, but there is one thing that bothers me.
I can'T see human skin anywhere. This could easily be 100% mechanical.
You should add some parts where skin is visibile, because otherwise this entry might be disqualified.

dsolo
02-08-2007, 10:07 AM
wow you work pretty damn fast!! Nice concept and model :thumbsup: A minor critique is (in my opinion) feets and hand are a bit small.

Seebaer
02-08-2007, 10:40 AM
wow, you are very fast dude...

i like the highpoly of his feet very much, its damn hot. some crits were mentioned previously so i don't have to add something yet.

@katzeimsack: i have to disagree, he will bulg out his muscle system (like you can see on his feet), so it is very clear this guy is not mechanical...

Yung
02-08-2007, 10:44 AM
You are swiss knife fast! Anyway, no crit except that I find either the head is too big or the overall proportion could be exagerrated more. Good job fellow.

MasonDoran
02-08-2007, 11:49 AM
i have some time now that we are between projects at work... :D

Hmmm...proportionally the hands and feet are correct....although the large torso with armor may make it feel off a bit. I have not gone comic style like Quake or Unreal where hands and feet are big clonking clubs. This guy is supposed streamlined and fast in terms of design and functionality. The style of concept requires him to disappear in shadows...so he should not have anything that disrupts his profile.

Beauty of normal mapping is I can change the proportions on the real time model without having to remodel the high res model.

I started first on the boot...it being the least visual part of the model where I could experiment with workflow and learn more about mudbox. This is my first time using mudbox...and it is awesome.

Expect to definately see the organic muscle coming through :D !! I am working on the thigh section now. BTW...kind a hard to show muscles and bones when its covered in armor -especially on a foot ;)

VortexCA
02-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi 2byts, thanks a lot for your explanations! just what I wanted to know about it :) when you talk about cutting up the model in parts, i suppose that you have already uv mapped the low rez cage? and then you export back to maya the normal maps back in to the low rez?, can you make a little example if possible?, thanks a lot again, thanks for the low rez screenshot, a wireframe would be great!, Keep it up!

Vortex

MasonDoran
02-08-2007, 07:51 PM
here is the thigh ...was done really fast actually...so fast i think i need to add something to it.

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/3782/thighhies3.jpg

Airflow
02-08-2007, 07:54 PM
its looking sweet.

MasonDoran
02-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Vortex,

Interestingly enough...the low poly cage is needed only at the very ended of the pipeline.

In fact, you can start with your midRes mesh and bring that into mudbox and model away with no regards to UVs.

When you are ready to bake the normals, just go back into your normal modelling software and model a lowpoly or realtime model around the midRes mesh. With this low res model..you then need to UV in 0-1 space with no overlapping UVs. Now, you open the lo res mesh in Mudbox, and use the texture baking tool to bake the normals. Mudbox has a function where you can point the texture baker to the hi-Res mesh without actually having the file open.

I am just doing this piece by piece...and will probably recreate the real time mesh based on the midRes mesh. I will then composite the normal maps in photoshop.

Jeff Dux
02-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Wow! awesome concept and some really nice progress! iŽll be watching this one.

btw, did you modell those hardsurface things (armor, screws, straps) in mudbox? if so, could you please elaborate your technique and your workflow for that?

cheers
JDX

MasonDoran
02-08-2007, 09:24 PM
if you go back to page 2, you will see a full body mid res mesh. This was all done in Maya with an extensive use of the poly crease tool to get the sharp edges of the armor.

Of course everything looks like its smooth and lifeless at this point.

I take it into mudbox at this point..(after creating selection sets for easy isolation of areas).

The way i am getting a lot of these affects is the way i use the layers...i have the following layers:

1. base mesh (i dont touch this one...need it for the erase tool)
2. level 2: volume sculpt for the muscles and tendons....
3. level 4: Detail geometry outwards....with this layer i flood the bulge tool over the entire mesh to offset everything uniformly, I then flood this layer with a mask...which hides the effect like an alpha channel. I then return with the mask tool with different fall offs and paint in the mask channel to bring back the bulge effect. The advantage of this is that you can erase quickly, and your brushes have a maximum depth...which is ideal when you want to do panels, stitching, buttons and such where the depth needs to be controled.

4. level 4: same as the previous layer...but the bulge is applied negatively

5. level 4: detailing without any masks....i actually have not really needed this layer at this point....but is intended to polish any thing where the previous 2 layers i couldnt do.

**special note:
mask tool has a major disadvantage : you cannot easily smear, blur, or smooth with this tool...

eMysfit
02-08-2007, 09:50 PM
This is going to look really sexy. It's awesome how fast you're moving...at this rate you'll be done 4 weeks early haha. Plenty of time for clean ups, extra tweaks, and perfection!

MasonDoran
02-08-2007, 11:00 PM
normal maps are working...this was actualy done by importing mudbox mesh into maya. I did that because i wanted the ambient occlusion baked. These maps are not finals...just tests to make sure the pipeline works. the normal map is severely clipped by the search distance...

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/4629/samplednormalska5.jpg

MasonDoran
02-08-2007, 11:01 PM
and the ambient occlusion...

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2406/sampledocculsionhj7.jpg

CreesyComplex
02-09-2007, 02:10 AM
amazing process! which version of maya are you using?

tin-tin
02-09-2007, 02:13 AM
Wow that mudbox screen looks sweet :P

Cyborgguineapig
02-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Looking really good! Is the clipping easy to fix, just increasing the search distance?

dsolo
02-09-2007, 08:47 AM
amazing process! which version of maya are you using?

Yep I'm curious too. By the way you got nice detail in that mudbox screencapture.

MasonDoran
02-09-2007, 08:59 AM
The clipping is really easy to fix...but i think i am going to bake the normal maps in Mud...and just worry about occlusion in maya. Maya 8.5 bakes occlusion....but it crashed a couple times on me...which i blame on having a 2million poly mesh.

The workflow is proving to be really flexible...as I can tweak the low res mesh and UVs as much as I want prior to baking the maps.

MasonDoran
02-12-2007, 06:28 PM
doing the arm now...

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7720/armvu4.jpg

Cyborgguineapig
02-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Wow that is looking really good! Fingers seem a little strange though. Waiting to see your next update.

MasonDoran
02-13-2007, 11:00 AM
i held back on doing a super realistic hand because he will be wearing gloves....so they ended up being a bit stylized in the Hogarth direction with exaggerated fleshy lines. The pinkie finger is missing a joint...which is an honest mistake but I think i can hide behind the normal map and the real time model where these joints cannot be modelled anyways.

You think that is really a problem...or do i have room for stylization?

MasonDoran
02-13-2007, 11:01 AM
and here is the upper arm...

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/9012/completearm1ii0.jpg

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/2120/completearm2gq6.jpg

Identity3D
02-13-2007, 11:07 AM
amazing stuff 2byts every part that you have shown looks amazing cant wait to see it all together especially the head and the torso. Keep it up ill be watching this one

MasonDoran
02-13-2007, 11:12 AM
thanx....

I am sorta saving the head for last because I want to work out any Pipeline issues before I get to that. Kinda like eating the cherry last...

BrettSinclair
02-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Insane work. well done. Though i do struggle to see where ancient comes in to play here? your modelling is fantastic though!

MasonDoran
02-13-2007, 01:56 PM
to get the ancient back into the design....I think I will add some chinese dragons embossed on the breast plates

ColdKodiak
02-13-2007, 02:03 PM
looking pretty damn good :D

quick too.

BrettSinclair
02-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Ye that could be cool. We have no idea what he looks like under all that armour. So maybe his just not human at all? I dont know? hehe. looking really good though.

fx81
02-13-2007, 02:39 PM
nice and sharp sculpting there. the arms remind me of predator which is somewhat ancient.
btw, i wanted to ask how well the mudbox normal map is working for you?

Frostics
02-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Your so quick to get this all out.
I bet your the 1st to finish their stuff.
Keep up the good work man.

MasonDoran
02-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Mudbox modelling is awesome....its fast and intuitive ....and very powerful despite the simplicity of the interface.

I have not tested the normal mapping since basic tests...i dont see any forsee any problems though.

If worse comes to worse, I can transfer maps in Maya. The advantage of doing it in maya is i can transfer shaders as well.

polygonwarrior
02-13-2007, 03:57 PM
good going buddy.:thumbsup:

ma3stro
02-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Hey man, great modeling! I love all of the little details. Looks like you're really making good use of Mudbox and your pipeline is sound. One thing that bothers me is that strap on the forearm... it looks quite solid right now like it would not make sense deforming if you were to animate the wrist rotation. Maybe I am not understanding how it is meant to function.

Anyway, great job on the details and being fast as heck. ;)

MasonDoran
02-13-2007, 03:59 PM
btw:

What makes modelling in mudbox so fast is when the base poly mesh has well defined edges, the poly crease tool which sharpens the edges that need to be crisp...and selection sets that allow me to increase performance and isolate areas.

MasonDoran
02-13-2007, 04:02 PM
the wrist strap is suppose to be flexible...its also an LCD panel for his gadgets.

ChrRambow
02-13-2007, 06:15 PM
I am speechless! :eek:

I do not have a clue about normalmaps ...
so i really enjoy viewing at your progress.

I hope the lowres version with normalmap
will turn out like the highres version.

jbrophy
02-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Very fast and quality work. I would be interested to hear your mudbox workflow.

MasonDoran
02-14-2007, 11:36 AM
I am still working out the workflow as we speak...as this is the first project I have used mudbox on. If you have ever used Zbrush for normal mapping....things are not all that different. Mudbox is 10x better in terms of workflow for me because it provides non-destructive modelling and amazing flexibility with export/import of other meshes including their layer data.

Significant things I have learned so far:

1. save the real time model for the very end...its a waste of time to do it in the beginning because of any creative changes you make along the way.

2. model a well defined mid Res geometry that you can smooth and export to mudbox. At this stage, model in hard edges, belts, straps, armor.

3. I highly recommend UV mapping the mid res geometry. This will pay off later if you want to bake procedural textures, bump maps, or any other kind of shader. Doing this on the mid res mesh will make things a lot easier because the baking process will distort and warp the texture map to accurately fit the real time geometry.

4. I recommend cutting up the mid res mesh into workable parts...based UV seams and distinct geometry borders like arm and torso and head.

5. create selection sets from a smoothed version of the mid res mesh...faster and easier in maya then in mudbox. A very easy way to do this is to create sets based on UVshells. The reason you smooth the mesh once, is to eliminate any 5 sided and tri polygons. Mudbox requires quads only.

6. Model the pieces in mudbox. Probably the most powerful feature is the layer mask in regards to modelling hard edges and patterns. What you do is do a flood of the bulge tool on the geometry....then flood the mask tool....and then remove parts of the mask to get precise paneling, stitching....etc etc.

7. Mudbox allows you to import other mudbox files....including their layers!! This pure awesome as it allows you to accurately work on different sections to make sure everything lines up...be aware that you can easily get it into the tens of millions of polygons.

8. optionally....import the hi res parts into Maya and transfer maps and procedural textures. Use the normal map and ambient occlusion map as a guide for creating the color map.

rasmusW
02-14-2007, 12:21 PM
hey 2byts!

i'm enjoying this thread. great picts and workflow-explantions.
i'll be back later.

-r

MasonDoran
02-14-2007, 12:30 PM
i just discovered the mudbox allows for importing of other .mud files with levels data intact.

This allowed me to correct the muscle structure on the thigh to match the hips. The layers system allowed me to non destructively change just the muscles without destroying the straps, textures, buttons ......

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/4064/upperlegkz8.jpg

jbrophy
02-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Great reply. Very insightful.

Could you explain

"6. Model the pieces in mudbox. Probably the most powerful feature is the layer mask in regards to modelling hard edges and patterns. What you do is do a flood of the bulge tool on the geometry....then flood the mask tool....and then remove parts of the mask to get precise paneling, stitching....etc etc." a little more if you have some free time. I think that is the little nugget I am missing between Z and mudbox.

Thanks

MasonDoran
02-14-2007, 03:59 PM
1. create a new layer with a high subdivision level
2. use the bulge tool and flood .....this will offset all of the vertices along the normals by an x amount. You can do this in the opposite direction as well...if you want to have details that recess

3. flood the layer with 100% using the mask tool -this works like an alpha channel and will hide the effects of #2

4. now with the mask tool, invert 100% and paint back the alpha channel....this will reveal, just like an alpha channel....the offset effect.

-advantage: you can paint with controlled depth anywhere on the model because you are only painting on the alpha channel and not the vertices. All other brushes build up on the previous stroke, so a controlled maximum depth is impossible. Fall off and stencils can still be used.

-disadvantage: can only use the mask tool for this effect......which is limited to using fall off and stencils. You cannot blur or smear, or smudge with the mask tool .

jbrophy
02-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Fantastic. Works great. I really appreciate the information.

MasonDoran
02-15-2007, 08:41 PM
normal map test with viewport screen capture....this is withought any normalmaps from mudbox modelling

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/8171/normalmaptestum8.jpg

MasonDoran
02-15-2007, 08:47 PM
wire....

4200 tris

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/1737/wiresy0.jpg

ChrRambow
02-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Good to see that good normalmaps are possible without using mudbox or zbrush.
Thanks for enlighten me about it. Thanks also for the great amount of information.
The next tool in my to buy list will be Mudbox :)

Squibbit
02-16-2007, 08:09 AM
some pretty cool stuff you got here :)

sriramatrix
02-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Fantastic work and great progress 2byts ! I like how you've used the layers in Mudbox,looking forward to updates:D

MasonDoran
02-18-2007, 11:33 PM
this is the mudbox version...

no textures yet

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/3647/torsonormalsuh7.jpg

tucho
02-19-2007, 12:35 AM
:-O awesome work man, besides you work really fast. Good luck! :-)

fx81
02-21-2007, 04:16 PM
this is the mudbox version...

no textures yet

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/3647/torsonormalsuh7.jpg

that is mudbox verion? it looks like normal map on the low res mesh. its looking good though. i would say you can push some of the mid level details more so that they dont get lost in the final texture screenshot.

MasonDoran
02-22-2007, 07:33 PM
^^thats a mudbox normal map...but the screenshot is in Maya.

here is another screenshot...without the normal map. Working on the texturing so I have a guide for the normal mapping.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7302/colorshoted3.jpg

SergioSantos
02-23-2007, 02:35 AM
Watch out the proportions!

MasonDoran
02-23-2007, 10:11 AM
which proportions are off?

Clanger
02-23-2007, 10:34 AM
which proportions are off?

Legs look a little short to me, or maybe too thin can't make up my mind?
Doesn't bother me enough to stop it looking great though.

ScudzAlmighty
02-23-2007, 05:03 PM
the legs do look a little short, maybe it's the angle but the calves don't seem to to be long enough?
regardless, what an awesome model and tutorial thread:thumbsup: it's not my favorite design in the comp (though it is my favorite human design) but it's certainly the most helpful thread around, so thanks for that. looking forward to more updates

MasonDoran
02-24-2007, 12:44 AM
added carbon fiber to the armor...fixed the normals.

still no normal map.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/552/spycarbonfiberoy5.jpg

btw: I think what is throwing off the proportions on the leg is actually the texture around the knee area distorting where the knee is. The belt doesnt help either...if i just raise it up a bit i think i can fix it.

Identity3D
02-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Yes i think you right there about the knee's and the belt. It looks like to the viewer that the belt and the knee's are in a relaxed free hanging state. Belt should be straight around waist or even if you hanging off the waist I shouldn’t be that low. Great stuff though mate keep the updates coming.

MasonDoran
02-25-2007, 11:57 PM
I have not done anything with the head yet.

These are screenshots with normals. :)

With textures as well...

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/1614/spybackuh4.jpg

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/4442/spyfrontspymu3.jpg

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/917/spyfronthn5.jpg

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/2433/normalsclosefe8.jpg

MasonDoran
02-26-2007, 11:07 AM
doing the emmissive maps...

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6271/emissivetestsso0.jpg

veedubb
02-26-2007, 09:12 PM
good model, nice workflow. i definately agree about the porportions being a bit off. if you were to scale the legs up a bit and possibly move the hips up it would drastically make the model better. the body is approx just under 7 heads tall when it should be in between 7 1/2 to 8. the 3/4 view didnt help much w/ my measurement but you can get the picture. i also see sam fisher a lil too much in the concept but its a bit late for that much of a change. good stuff though, keep it up!
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/veedubb420/colorshoted3.jpg

CarlosFratini
02-27-2007, 01:02 AM
Really good. Loved the textures.
But i got to agree that the legs seem a little too short, and thin. Its not on the same proportion that of the torso.

MasonDoran
02-27-2007, 08:27 AM
i just did a head test on the proportions...and in an ortho view the character is exactly 7.5 heads high. I will still lengthen it a bit because I am getting a lot of suggestions on that.

Currently I am a bit stuck on the goggles situation...after all that gives it away as coming from SplinterCell. Ever since Double Agent came out there has been talk about making a mod to bring back Chaos Theory Multiplayer, so once Dominance War is finished I want to start organizing some artists together for a project.

MasonDoran
02-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Ok, so I took the tubes off the legs....tweaked the glow a bit so it looks like there are particles in the tubes. Added a light on the back....and fixed the spec map. I really like having the skin....one idea though is to show another kind of brightly colored cloth.

Working on the gun atm.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/5906/backrv4.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/71/armjd5.jpg

ScudzAlmighty
02-28-2007, 02:02 AM
man this is coming along nicely, i may have to take back what i said about him not being one of favorite entries, the glow effect really brings it out:thumbsup:

about the goggles, what if you go back to original design wher you had the the little points over one eye and nothing over the other? i though that looked pretty cool

i was also going to question how stelthy he'd be if he has brightly coloured cloth showing through on his arms, but then i rememberd that he's also glowing, so i guess it's a moot point,

MasonDoran
02-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I decided to go back to the original concept sketch for the head. The tri goggles was just a test to see if it worked but is proving to be to similar to Splinter Cell. I should have the body done very soon.

I added the glow effect for visual style...i felt there needed to be a bit of special eye catching effect to contrast with the predominantly black suit.

MasonDoran
02-28-2007, 03:27 PM
started on gun

This is just the base before I sharpen up the edges.

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/9643/tazertestko0.jpg

MasonDoran
02-28-2007, 11:29 PM
wire, color map, normal map, composite.

At this point i am going to stop on the spy...i have to finish everything by next week. I am going on holidays on the 9th.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/8581/spynormalsscreenwn0.jpg

eMysfit
03-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Looking great. If you ask me, you gotta have the glowies!

Do you have any tutorials/tips/etc on emissive maps?

MasonDoran
03-01-2007, 03:10 PM
just map the glow texture to your incandescence slot of the shader (Maya)

Leave the background black and you do not need any alpha channel.

captainchet
03-01-2007, 10:11 PM
just map the glow texture to your incandescence slot of the shader (Maya)

Leave the background black and you do not need any alpha channel.

Thanks, i was wondering the same thing :)

ScudzAlmighty
03-02-2007, 01:08 AM
yet again, the most helpfull thread in the comp:thumbsup:

MasonDoran
03-02-2007, 10:59 PM
I go on holidays in a few days....so I am going to post this in the competition. All i have left is to put him in a pose. I will lose 10 days and wont come back until after the competition :(

Btw. added tazer...which explains the update

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5249/spyorthots7.jpg

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4245/spylit01pb7.jpg

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6618/spylit02bo3.jpg

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3968/spylit03po5.jpg

Intervain
03-03-2007, 12:56 AM
that's some pretty sweet texturing! :thumbsup:

nacire
03-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Great entry and very cool finale.

As far as proportions, it's not really off in that your character isn't the right height, but the way you have the belt and it's placement. It's lying right below the top of the pelvic bone on the hips, but seems way too skinny like its squeezing his pelvic bone a bit unrealistically. I think just widening him in that hip area would do wonders as opposed to the concave curvature there now.

Either way kudos on a great entry and have a great holiday!

SeanB
03-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Great textures, love the variety in edges within the theme. I wish there was something asymmetrical, perhaps in the chest? Glad you moved farther from Sam Fischer in the eyegear.

I agree about the basic proportions. The waist line looks low, especially from the front. Also the knees look low. I'd try leaving the hips where they are, widen them a tad, and raise the waist and knees. Great job.

hakanpersson
03-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Veery cool and well made, seem to handle some extreme close-ups. Like the glowies, nice detail:)

Best luck

erik_j
03-05-2007, 09:26 PM
great texturework! that checkerwoven material on the leg-pads is really cool.
only real critique is I can't shake the feeling that his gun looks as if it's scaled down :-) never seen a rifle of that type that small but I'm really not savvy when it comes to guns..
if that's not just me; a large pistol would look more intimidating than an undersized rifle if you follow..

MasonDoran
03-06-2007, 06:52 AM
the gun was intentionally scaled down...its meant to be used with one hand if needed.

I should also mention the gun was heavily based on existing concept art from Double Agent. Its not a literal copy, and the gun does not exist in the game....but none the less there is a likeness.

MasonDoran
03-07-2007, 12:00 AM
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/3817/pose3kh8.jpggot the pose done--- he is rigged and ready to animate

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/5297/pose1ds2.jpg
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/5707/pose2cm4.jpg

rept0r
03-07-2007, 02:49 PM
good job, i like the textures and model, not sure about the light u have chosen, try getting more contrast so it can still be shadowing but still show the char.

MattBirkett-Smith
03-07-2007, 03:04 PM
I just thought I'd through in my 2 cents, I think that generally here the modelling is of excellent quality and your workflow is great. However artistically speaking I don't think your final images do it justice, your lighting is a bit dark and you have a few too many colours floating about. I'd definitely swap out the red laser for a green one as its breaking your colour pallette, I'd also try and not use purple lighting, if it was me I'd stick to some fairly subtle cold blue and green lights.

MasonDoran
03-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanx for the advice...

This a proper render with raytracing and all that stuff.....

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5103/spyhiresrender2tk9.jpg

ScudzAlmighty
03-08-2007, 12:04 AM
thats a much better render:thumbsup:

i'd say that overall he's turned out really well, you've done some excellent modelling/texturing and the mini tutorials in your thread have been a world of help,

however...

i don't really get the sense that your character is from an ancient and advanced civilization long since lost to the rest of the universe, i wish you the best of luck in the competition, but i feel like this may hinder your chances...

sorry...

rept0r
03-08-2007, 09:50 PM
much better, good luck

onelung
03-08-2007, 10:30 PM
lighting is better, maybe still have a nice rim light with purple or something. nice character, really like the pose :)

MasonDoran
03-09-2007, 12:52 AM
y'all were looking at graphics card renders...except for the last one.

This is my submission for the Dominance war. I go on holidays now....

Flying off to india in the morning

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/uploaded_images/32-game-3d-art-364-1173404027-DM_winningPose.jpg

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/uploaded_images/32-game-3d-art-364-1173404509-DM_BeautyPose.jpg

monkeycorn
03-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Sweet! I like this guy. Not very ancient, but very stealthy, spy guyish. Great work.

MasonDoran
03-21-2007, 05:15 AM
hah....i seem to be the only one hurting by the all of the deadline extensions. Now that I am 2 weeks on holidays in India, I cant make any more important tweeks. I am seeing a lot of great stuff getting done and definately more will be done with the extra week.

Funny enough...i will be on the plane back home on the day of the deadline.

Wish you all the best of luck.

MasonDoran
03-28-2007, 04:40 PM
wtf....i just noticed on the DM war sight that the finalists are listed and I am not among them!!!

sent an email....but this is just not possible :(

erik_j
03-28-2007, 04:51 PM
good luck man! xšU hope this isn't a case of off-theme disqualification. it's a good entry with much work put into it and it would really seem a bit harsh so hope it's not.

Ramseus
03-28-2007, 05:09 PM
If you submitted that picture with the two views as your winning pose that would do it, you were only supposed to have 1 model. That would be a shame though, your character is awesome. I'm not on the finalist list either for some unknown reason.

SeanB
03-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Ack. I hope you get this straightened out. This model rocks, very crisp.

ill_logic
03-28-2007, 07:02 PM
hate to ask a stupid question like this but did you submit them to the dominance war site & update your entry there when you finished them or did you only post them on here?

good luck!

-J

MasonDoran
03-28-2007, 11:11 PM
sorted out, Fred was pretty cool about it. I had all of the images added on the DM sight...but apparently there is a "submit finals" button I over looked.

I suggest sending him an email with your user:pass if you have the same problem.

MasonDoran
03-29-2007, 08:56 AM
http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/uploaded_images/32-game-3d-art-364-1173365339-DW_textureSheet.jpghttp://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1121/dwwireja4.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1044/dmwinningpose02xv4.jpg

winning pose

:D

was a lot of fun doing this project

CGTalk Moderation
03-29-2007, 08:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.