PDA

View Full Version : Need help wif modelling this!

AndreDean
02-06-2007, 08:28 AM
Hi Guys,

I require some help with modelling this pic.
Currently working on this image.

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/images/8011/8011cover.plant7a.tifcxd.JPG

Any ideas on how to model the pipes surrounding the building? Is there some sort of a script to gen the pipes out? I wish to keep the polygon count low.

Platform is 3DS Max.

Really appreciate any advise or help.

Thank you.

Farfalo
02-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Maxscript could probably do that but I have no clue how to with that. What you COULD try, is when you select a cylinder as your primitive, reduce the sides to around 8 or 10. That way it still keeps it's shape but it's relatively low-poly. Just place that on the side of the building and if you need to move some verts, connect edges and move those new verts just so you have a nice curve on it. I hope that helped. If not, e-mail me and I'll try to expand on it and provide a few pictures, maybe even model a bit of it.

Leionaaad
02-06-2007, 02:55 PM
no scripting needed. you would like tu use the loft from the compound objects. or a nurbs loft. Or simply draw the splines and make them renderable, asign a radius and radial segments.

maantas
02-06-2007, 03:22 PM
a very simple solution (for fast / ugly results :)
select the object (that factory house) copy it scale it litle bit (make it bigger)
and aply lattice modif. welll, thats very simple, but might be it could work as a starting point, i dono, test it :)

tilomit
04-04-2007, 09:48 AM
no scripting needed. you would like tu use the loft from the compound objects. or a nurbs loft. Or simply draw the splines and make them renderable, asign a radius and radial segments.

I would go for the solution of the renderable splines, too.
I had to model something similar, aslo it wasn't that compley, for work and the renderable splines just worked perfect and were also fast to create

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2007, 09:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.