PDA

View Full Version : HARDCORE MODELING!: Ray Harryhausen Tribute: Cyclops

monstermaker
02-06-2007, 04:49 AM
Hi ,Heard about this today and I just had to join in. Ray has been a hugh inspiration to me.
I took off work a little early ,because I was so excited about this, and started my base mesh .I've got about 6 hours into this so far. I'm kind of slow making meshes from scratch. The likeness isn't there yet,I plan on finessing it a lot in ZBrush. I was looking through my stuff because I know I have some 8x10 of the Cyclops somewhere . I made a mask of him back in the 70's and gave it to Ray.I think the mask is in Germany now with some of Ray's Models. If anyone has a good large photo of the Cyclops I would really appreciate a copy of it. So far I have been using the little images from the web.
Anyways here is what I did today.

Rod Seffen
02-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Diabolos posted some great images from the movie museum in Berlin, and there's some good shots of the cyclops. It's in the reference thread.
I'm not quite sure whey they got some of those models from though, because the Kali model for example doesn't look exactly like the one form the movies. I'm not sure about he cyclops though.
Nice to have you on board though, it's a pity Ray couldn't take part himself)

Cameo
02-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Great to have you onboard Rick. Sound start to your model, looking forward to following your progress.

Mattoo
02-06-2007, 09:34 AM
it's a pity Ray couldn't take part himself)

From what I've read Ray doesn't have a particularly high opinion of chaps like us doing this on computers - he's pretty sure it's a lot easier making monsters on the computer by the sounds of it.
Perhaps MonsterMaker is one of the few people who can counter that opinion with geniune authority.

Besides, what with you and now Rick here, the competition couldn't be any stiffer! ;)

ChewyPixels
02-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Cool competition! Unfortunately for myself, I don't have the time to participate. However, with Rick here I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this. Good start. :thumbsup:

monstermaker
02-06-2007, 01:32 PM
How funny oDDity, the Cyclops that Diabolos posted is the mask that I made for Ray back in the 70's. I haven't seen it since then. I remember it looking better. I hope I can do a better job now.
Mattoo, I know for a fact that Ray is very impressed by much of the CG work that he has seen. I figure that it has to bug him some though that one CG shot cost more than the whole budget of many of his films. It also has to be weird to see the number of crew members working on CG FX films because he basically was alone in a dark stage doing his.

Mattoo
02-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Mattoo, I know for a fact that Ray is very impressed by much of the CG work that he has seen. I figure that it has to bug him some though that one CG shot cost more than the whole budget of many of his films. It also has to be weird to see the number of crew members working on CG FX films because he basically was alone in a dark stage doing his.

I suppose I like to think he's impressed, but I think he's got a skewed view of how it all works. I'm pretty sure he thinks it requires huge teams of techy computer guys to do this stuff.
He has said that if he were starting out now, in this day and age that he'd never have joined the industry. I wonder if that's just because he was introduced to this stuff many years ago, when it was something only a room full of nerds at ILM could do.

Anyway, back on topic, good luck with the Cyclops - is it just going to be a bust or the whole figure?

Tama
02-06-2007, 03:30 PM
This is certianly the one to keep an eye on! (no pun intended)

Are you planning on creating the entire model, a bust or diorama?

willbrown
02-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Welcome to the challenge Rick. I've been enjoying all your posts over at ZBrush Central. I use the alphas you shared there a lot. Thanks.

Can't wait to see what you come up with on Cyclops!

monstermaker
02-07-2007, 05:29 AM
Hi I had less time today to work on this .
The proportions still aren't right but I think it is better .
I still have a long way to go.
I'm glad that I doing this challenge because it is showing me how much I have to learn about making a good mesh.
I quickly painted in some teeth so I could see how they would look.
Hopefully I will have some time tomorrow to whip this into shape.

gnarlycranium
02-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Great start, Rick! (but then, you've had practice, heh!)

Can you post some wires to show off how you're developing the mesh?

bobzilla
02-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Looking good, Rick!

The nose and mouth ara are what make the cyclops, in my opinion, and you have those down pretty good already.

A lot of Ray's "humanoid" models have a distinct mouth area. I think it started with his version (never filmed) of one of his martian designs from War of the Worlds. They have this moustache-looking appendage which he use on the Ymir and Kracken, also. But I see some semblence in it in a lot of his models, like the cyclops and even Medusa, to a certain extent.

Enough rambling...

ilusiondigital
02-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Hey Rick, what a surpraise to find you in this little challenge. I hope to see you final model asap hehe. All the best man.

victor

godlike27
02-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Rick, How about showing us wires of Cyclops?
---Tomas

monstermaker
02-08-2007, 07:20 PM
OK here is where he's at now.Couldn't work on him yesterday so I got up really early today so I could work on him.
Godlike27 OK I show you some wires if you promise not to laugh. I've made very few meshes and originally was planning on making just a really basic shape and importing it into ZBrush and doing most of the work in there. That is what I usually do.

eddieellis
02-08-2007, 08:11 PM
looking great rick, looking forward to seeing you put some muscle tone on him :thumbsup:

keep it up

monstermaker
02-09-2007, 05:10 AM
Tweaked him some more and quickly added forearms ,too quickly, I wish I would have spent a little more time on the first one before I mirrored it over. The hands really suck but I'll fix them. Painted a really quick and sloppy BG just to start to see how it will look

godlike27
02-09-2007, 10:05 AM
I show you some wires if you promise not to laugh. I've made very few meshes and originally was planning on making just a really basic shape and importing it into ZBrush and doing most of the work in there.
I'm not laughing. I have a massive collection of wires (humans mainly) from the net
and it seems that everyone makes slightly different choices, I'm fascinated with some
japanese game modelers, they make very low-poly and very cool anime characters.

Your Cyclops looks good though I'm not familiar with the character or Ray Harryhausen's
work, since most of it was 'before-me':( so I missed it... Like I was too late to see
Jimi Hendrix live... dang
---Tomas

gnarlycranium
02-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the wires, Rick! Looks really good actually, nice and simple, clean flow. It's always interesting to see how different people handle different shapes.

Anybody who laughs receives beatings! :D

monstermaker
02-10-2007, 06:02 AM
I'm having fun and learning a lot. This is the first time that I have ever modeled a figure . I'm sorry that I started modeling it in a posed position as soon as I did once I lost the symmetry it is taking longer to make changes. I spun a lot of edges and cleaned up the mesh a bunch today.I was planning on going to ZBrush much earlier and adjusting the figure there but I'm having too much fun in Modo at the moment. Originally I was thinking of just doing a bust especially since I got a late start,and since I have never modeled a whole figure ,but I seems to be mutating into the whole guy.

godlike27
02-10-2007, 06:36 AM
Rick, is there a reason for doing a pose? because I have noticed that you sometimes use LightWave (with apes:) and you probably can pose with that...
Here is Mike Brent's website with some cool stop motion clips:
http://www.darkstrider.net/gallery2a.html
... and with your type of Cyclops pose:
http://www.darkstrider.net/july8_2005.html
---Tomas

axis3d
02-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Wow! Awesome Cyclops! I love the moment you picked. It's one that's burned into my memory from when I was a kid. Incredible work.

monstermaker
02-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Tomas, the short answer is because I'm an idiot. Actually I originally was planning on just doing a bust, since I got a late start and since I'm am basically a beginner at this CG stuff. One day early on as I was trying to get the likeness better, I thought that I would pose it a little to see it in a more dynamic position.Once I posed it I saw things that were wrong and started changing them ,and the next thing you know I put so much effort into the posed one I figured it was better to finish it rather than going back to the symmetrical undynamic pose. So I guess basically it just mutated. Here is an image of how it looks this morning and framed more like I was originally planning.

monstermaker
02-11-2007, 01:31 AM
OK I roughed out some legs and changed the pose slightly. It looks like I'm doing more than a bust ,I guess

John-S
02-11-2007, 04:30 AM
Looking really awesome monstermaker!

Love your work : )

godlike27
02-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Well I see with Cyclops legs you have symmetry again :) Soon your cyclops will be crying for Zbrush:)
Rick, I think it's cool that you are doing 3D and not thinking that you are "artist-of-other-generation",
What is "other generation"? Who knows what could have happened if DaVinci had Zbrush,
it's a crazy thought, but would he think that it is "not-his-area"? I don't think so.
Technology rocks, I'm waiting for 3d printers becoming available to buy "for-mortals",
then I could make toys for kids or something like that from my 3d models,
something like: http://www.linkandpinhobbies.com/Graphics/x_8cyclops.jpg
---Tomas

monstermaker
02-12-2007, 03:32 AM
Finally got this puppy into ZBrush this is what I have so far.Long ways to go. I'm kind of on the fence about something.Originally I was going to try and make it as close to the original Cyclops as I could then I decided to make his head a little smaller and his body a little beefier. Now I'm not sure. Also I wondering if I should make his texture like the stop motion puppet or real it up some. Any thoughts?

GQ1
02-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Ray Harryhausen Cyclops is an icon.
But since this is a Tribute to him, I’d prefer an updated version with more detailed anatomy and skin folds.

Btw, It would look nice with some old battle scars.

Very cool Rick.

Mattoo
02-12-2007, 09:09 AM
I'm stuck with the same problem. Although I've kept my proportions on the Harpies to Ray's, the finish is something I've left for a bit as I can't decide. The original finish was fairly basic, I quite fancy doing something a bit more bespoke and modern, like you.

I notice you've already modelled in detail that wasn't there in the original - wrinkles in the skin and more detailed boney hands. I think it'll look odd if you stopped there and didn't take that through to the finish.

bobzilla
02-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Well, originally, I thought the idea was to get as close to Ray's original design as possible, but it looks like almost everyone has done their take on it, rather than stick to the original, so you're safe either way.

Personally, I would have preferred everyone stick to Ray's designs.

Rod Seffen
02-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Well, originally, I thought the idea was to get as close to Ray's original design as possible, but it looks like almost everyone has done their take on it, rather than stick to the original, so you're safe either way.

Let's be perfectly honest here, Ray was not a very good modeler/sculptor. Most of the designs are really quite basic, and some are badly implemented, and I feel, as do others, very strange about blindly copying something that isn't particularly good to start with.
Ray as a whole package did a great job on those movies, but looking at the models as just models, most of them are average, either by modern standards, or the standards of classical sculptors.
I'm sure a lot of that was down the the materials and process he had to work with.
They have a certain kitsch value for most of us who loved those movies as kids, but that's about it, let's not get carried away with 'copying the master's perfect work'.

Tama
02-12-2007, 01:58 PM

Based on Roberto's original post, the model will have to be Ray's interpretation.
Here's a snippet from Roberto's post;

THE CHALLENGE:___________________________

Sculpt one or more representations of Ray Harryhausen creatures in 1 month (See the provided list). The idea of this "mini-challenge" is to simulate an impossible dateline for a project. The artists will have at their discretion how detailed the models they will be working on, and the amount of models, and if the models will be shaded/ rigged. But the model will have to be Ray's interpretation.

eddieellis
02-12-2007, 02:55 PM
i think all artists want to make there images there own, and find it extremely difficult to stick to the same design especially if they see something they think they could improve on. i know the challenge is to model Ray's characters and in a ideal world we would be all slaves , trying to create every last scalple mark on our models. but im sure Ray himself would rather see a veritry of flesh idea's rather than 100 models that all look identicle in every way.

Im only saying that becuase i have no idea on how to create a plastercen shader :)

bobzilla
02-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Well, the point IS to make a copy, so to speak, of Ray's work.

Would we see someone's "interpretation" of the Mona Lisa? No, I'm not comparing Mona Lisa to a Cyclops, Ymir, or centaur, I'm just saying, that's the task.

How many Gollem's have we seen that all look exactly the same and no one complained about that?

RobertoOrtiz
02-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Guys, I have no problem if a sculptor wants to add extra detail to a model. I am not going to tell a master sculptor that he or she is doing their job too well.

Keep in mind that Ray did the bulk of his work on the 40, 50, 60 and 70's. This means that he was limited not only by the technology of the time, but by the fact that his figures were designed to animated. This simple fact meant that his creatures had, by necessity, a bulky armature as an support skeleton.

So if you want to add more detail to a model, please do so. Hell I look forward to it. And from what I have seen, most people are doing a great job doing this.

And about the challenge I am eagerly looking forward for all the final pieces.

And Mr Baker, I would lie if I did not admit that I am eagerly looking forward to your final piece.

-R

monstermaker
02-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I think I will stick closer to the original after all I entered this as a tribute to Ray and I guess changing his design isn't that much of a tribute. I will probably change the texture a bit though. I should probably learn how to model with a reference image in the background,but it seems less fun to me than just doing it by eye.
Reberto, Quit calling me Mr Baker it makes me feel old. I know that I am old but don't like being reminded of it. I too am looking forward to seeing everyones finished pieces.

rasmusW
02-14-2007, 09:58 AM
hey rick!

great job on the cyclop!
-looking forward to see it finished.

-r

monstermaker
02-15-2007, 12:44 AM
Hi ,OK I came to my senses and made it more like the Harryhausen cyclops. This is a quick Modo render using the displacement map created in ZBrush. Now on to the bump map.Still a lot of work to do.

bobzilla
02-15-2007, 01:34 AM
That's it! You nailed it. Not that there was any doubt...

The whole thinkg looks great, but the head and face are perfect.

Didn't mean to be a hardnose about the "Harryhausenness" of the models, but some have gone pretty far off base.

I mean, there's Gwangi, and then there's an allosaurus.

Rod Seffen
02-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Yes, even though your modeling skills aren't the best, and there are technical modeling criticisms to be made, you're relatively new to 3d, but you've really captured the essence of the character, and that's what it's all about in the end.

GQ1
02-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Yes, even though your modeling skills aren't the best, and there are technical modeling criticisms to be made, you're relatively new to 3d, but you've really captured the essence of the character, and that's what it's all about in the end.

Rod,

I have to take exception to this statement as a sculptor and fan of Ricks.
FYI, he has been in 3D for some time now, you just have to look at some of his work at the zbrush forums or at the Modo forums for that matter.
And yes all models when they start out don’t look perfect, I guess that is why they are called a wip.
As for being the best he is an Icon.

Garrick,

monstermaker
02-15-2007, 03:24 PM
GQ1,I'm afraid that I have to agree with oDDity, I have made a lot of technical mistakes and my CG modeling skills aren't the best. After this is the first time that I modeled a full figure from scratch. I've been messing about with this CG stuff for about two years now. I've had no formal training just watched a few videos on the web and a couple on DVDs. Most of the work that I have posted have been basically heads and most of my experience is in ZBrush.
I have a lot to learn ,and thanks to this challenge I have learned a lot. One of the main things that I learned is,that I have a lot to learn,but hey, I'm having fun. Except for last night when I worked for a couple of hours on the bump map for this guy only to have it crash and burn big time . Now I 'm at as loss as of what to do to fix this problem. Hopefully I can figure it out because I want to finish this guy. Anyways I appreciate that you are a fan and I hope I don't let you down but ,as I said oDDity was just stating the facts about my lack of experience but he did state that I captured the essence of the character and I hope you didn't take exception to that. I better get busy now, time's a wasting.

GQ1
02-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Thank you for your perspective on things Rick.

The only exception I would take with you is not doing more work. :)

Also I would like to suggest is try Mudbox for sculpting I think you’ll love it, their is a demo now.

Garrick,

DNavas
02-15-2007, 05:33 PM
well I think nobody is meant to born knowing-it-all, there is al long way and everybody starts from a diferent situation

as far as I've seen, there are 2 kind of artist, photorealist as Steven Stahlberg, or more toony?, as Pascal Blanché, and usually it is hard to jump from one side to the other. And even great masters have disapointing beginings, and this should encourage everybody, even the future masters.

In my opinion the real point is capturing the esence, the rest is more about the style or personal touch.

the challenge is filled with great works and great promises of greatwork. And Monstermaker your work is awesome, don't panic I'm not gonna ask you for money.

allthough I may be completely wrong :)

Rod Seffen
02-15-2007, 07:51 PM
3d modeling is a technical hurdle you have to overcome, it doesn't matter how good you are at character art in general, and I think Rick is great at that.
Even if Michelangelo, with his supreme experience and knowledge of character painting and sculpture and anatomy started doing CG today, his work would take a while to get up to a the level of his paintings and sculptures.
I glad to see Rick is the sort of guy who realises this and wants to improve, and I've no doubt with his existing knowledge and vast experience he'll do that, rather than wanting to be buttered up by sycophants and told everything he does is great, just because he's Rick Baker. That kind of behaviour is detrimental to all concerned, and no artist wants it.

DNavas
02-15-2007, 11:32 PM
yes it's true, being buttered up will lead you nowhere.
But I feel terrified each time I post (stage panic) , and I don't have such a keen eye to point the flaws a model's got. So cheering up people is one of the only options I got. And probably most people feel like me.
And Oddity, I think your entry allthough a bit demolisher, is right what should be said. And you will help him a lot more.

And about the entry, probably it has anatomy mistakes (the ribbon's cage and the feet as far as I can perceive), but I think those mistakes are closer to Harryhausen's . Without those mistakes it would be more natural, or belivable, and it would be sweet or sweeter, but it wouldn't be closer to the original. Both options are fine too me, and the real point is that Monstermaker learnt a lot with his effort, and others did too.

and sry for my english

monstermaker
02-16-2007, 03:22 AM
Hi, after a big crash and loosing my initial bump map,and after I finished swearing a bunch, I did another bump map and here is how he looks now.

GQ1
02-16-2007, 03:52 AM
Ray has got to love this one.

I was going to mention about the fur before but seeing how this is a wip, never mind you nailed it this time around.
The only thing that comes to mind is the chest scales needs to have a little more depth to it.
Btw, I hope you will add that techno color look to the final render.

Was it Modo that was crashing on you?

bobzilla
02-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Looks pretty near perfect to me.

You got that "elbows back" look that a lot of Ray's humanoid models have (easier to animate, I think).

tou can probbaly overlay the Ymir right over this and it would be a pretty close fit. I believe they were the same armature, too.

eddieellis
02-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Hey Rick, looks like its coming togeather nicely, if i had anything to crit on it would be the huves, they look alittle basic compaired to the rest of the model.... but that may be just dokwn to the original design.

Anyway looking forward to seeing the texturing :thumbsup:

willbrown
02-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Waiting with bad breath for the textures. Would love to see this guy move! Go Rick Go!

Mattoo
02-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Waiting with bad breath for the textures.

Take mint.

Rick: Looks real nice, I agree with someone else though, the bump is a little subtle in places at the moment.

monstermaker
02-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Hi Here is a first pass at the color map painted in ZBrush . Since I did this render I have worked on the color and bump map more .Hopefully made improvements from this render.

Tama
02-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Looks great and keeps getting better and better.:) I like the way you sculpted the fur and pulled it off. :thumbsup:

ChewyPixels
02-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Yeah! That's freakin' awesome Rick! The new render makes it look like one of those painted resin figures. Beautiful sculpture. :thumbsup:

Makes me want to make one of my own tribute models to Ray's work. Maybe someday when I find the time. :)

SergioSantos
02-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Awesome!
It looks like a real figure

How did you do the hair in the legs???
Insane how much detail you put on them...
It doesn't look like real fur, but it looks like real figure sculpted fur!

willbrown
02-19-2007, 09:01 PM
After taking Mattoo suggested mint, I have fresh breath and am no longer waiting.

Top marks! I'm sure Ray will be pleased. Terrific job staying close to the original and adding your own flair!

Rod Seffen
02-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Yeah, this looks great with the textures and sculpt details. Nice render as well.
You should have a 3d resin print made of this and send it to Ray, or the movie museum in Berlin, since it already has the mask you made.

axis3d
02-20-2007, 12:47 AM
Wow - that is awesome. I love that you sculpted in the hairy legs rather than doing 3D fur or something. As oDDity said, it would make a great 3d resin model - it's certainly better than the one I'm staring at on my desk.

monstermaker
02-20-2007, 01:44 AM
Hi,Thanks guys.Since it looks like I can get the cyclops done I started a quick BG late this afternoon. This is a ZBrush render

monstermaker
02-21-2007, 12:59 AM
Here is a Modo of the BG. The cyclops will cover most of it.

Cameo
02-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Wow you've really come a long way with this model in such a short time Rick. I think it looks fantastic, you've totally nailed the essence of the original Cyclops. I would echo everyone elses comments, the sculpted fur works really well and theres some great attention to detail like the transition from fur>skin. Top marks Rick, Ray would surely be very impressed.

GQ1
02-21-2007, 02:17 PM
Looks excellent Rick.

Just few things, your HDRI settings could be turned up just a touch and add if you can a little more orange lighting to the scene.
Also the final image would look nice with a little film grain add to it.

Btw, here’s a test scene I did in Modo with HDRI lighting.

Modo HDRI test scene (http://savefile.com/files/507126)

monstermaker
02-22-2007, 01:39 AM
Thanks Cameo
GQ1, I didn't use any HDRI just a distant light and an area light.
Here are some frames from a turntable that I rendered. Not a fancy render no occlusion pass or anything just the displacement,bump and one color map.
go here for turn table mov mpg version
http://www.monsterbaker.com/monsterstuff/cyclopsturnmpg.mov.zip
and here for non compressed version
http://www.monsterbaker.com/monsterstuff/cyclopsturn.mov.zip

monstermaker
02-22-2007, 07:21 PM
OK, here is what I'm going to call my final image I would like to keep working on it but I have other obligations some of which I have been ignoring to do this challenge. I'll post the larger image in the other thread. Thanks I had fun.

monstermaker
02-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Here is another image just for fun. More like what I was originally thinking of doing but decided to go more like the original for the contest.

John-S
02-27-2007, 11:42 PM
Excellent!!!

I really like that last image alot

bobzilla
02-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Looks great, Rick.

Yeah, the second image looks like if they made a "digitally remastered Criterion Edition" of 7th Voyage.

Everytime I see your rendition, I can hear that sound they made. Pretty original sound. not a roar or anything. I think it was a similar (if not the same) sound as the Ymir in 20 Million Miles to Earth.

I'm surprised no one did that, actually.

Cameo
02-28-2007, 11:10 AM
The last image is superb, really convincing.

GQ1
02-28-2007, 01:16 PM
This is a take no prisoners version, 5 stars from me Rick! :thumbsup:

Might I be so bold as to suggest this last version would look great as your avatar.

John-S
03-05-2007, 04:26 AM
Hey, i don't know where to ask this but...

In the voting thread, which image of yours are we voting on? I see both images are there but I'm not sure if you say:

Best .....: If I vote for you which image am I voting for? Are both eligible for voting so I would specify which one for which voting criteria?

Or are we only voting on your first image and the second is just for show?

Sorry to post here but I figure Roberto might pop-in...

John-S
03-05-2007, 04:58 AM
double post...

RobertoOrtiz
03-05-2007, 05:14 AM
Hey, i don't know where to ask this but...

In the voting thread, which image of yours are we voting on? I see both images are there but I'm not sure if you say:

Best .....: If I vote for you which image am I voting for? Are both eligible for voting so I would specify which one for which voting criteria?

Or are we only voting on your first image and the second is just for show?

Sorry to post here but I figure Roberto might pop-in...

Ok let me try to answer your questions...
Well you are voting for the model. The only category that this might be an issue is best rendering, and in that case I would vote for the close-up image.

John-S
03-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Thanks Roberto! That answers half of it.

Alot of people are voting this image for best overall entry. Which image are people basing this on? Or is it ALL of the artists work involved (all the images)?

Sorry to be a pain...

RobertoOrtiz
03-05-2007, 01:32 PM
No problem.

OK let me put it this way,
you are voting for the model.

It does not matter if the model is lighted differently on another image, it is the same model.
So you are voting FOR THE MODEL not the image.
In the case of best rendering you can pick wich of those two renderings you want to vote for.

-R

John-S
03-05-2007, 04:59 PM
thanks Roberto! For the record, I wasn't talking about the lighting job. Its the texturing job thats completly different in the other image...

RobertoOrtiz
03-12-2007, 05:02 AM
Congratz Rick,
It was a lot of fun to see your entry in our little corner of cyberspace..

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/cgtalk/17.gif

monstermaker
03-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Gee thanks, I'm honored. I had lots of fun and learned a great deal in this challenge. Thanks for putting it on . I 'm a big Harryhausen fan and really enjoyed seeing what everyone was doing .I hope Ray gets to see all of the great entries , I'm sure he will be flattered that so many people spent so much of their free time doing them.Thanks again
Rick

cjewell
03-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Excellent Cyclops. I'm glad to see you won and it was an honor to participate in the challege with you. Hopefully we'll see you in another challenge again.

P.S. Is it true you were born in Binghamton, NY?

CGTalk Moderation
03-13-2007, 06:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

RobertoOrtiz
01-10-2009, 04:54 AM
Here is a online interview with makeup master Rick Baker:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmppwmLjWA4

Lookout for a famliar piece..

WyattHarris
01-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Hehe, the old Cyclops. That may have been what turned me on to this contest. To see such a high profile person take part, that was just too cool.

CGTalk Moderation
01-10-2009, 07:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.