PDA

View Full Version : Dominance War II: dpizzle

dpizzle
02-06-2007, 01:43 AM
bustin out that concept within the next few days

dpizzle
02-06-2007, 03:52 AM
just throwing stuff out...
think he might be a little too ... space-manish (?)

UPDATES BELOW

http://www.davidpayneonline.com/misc/concept_2.jpg

Reo
02-06-2007, 04:43 AM
I guess my question would be why does a god like creature require a fire arm ?

dpizzle
02-06-2007, 04:50 AM
he's not god like - but i guess he could be

ill_logic
02-06-2007, 04:54 AM
reo - where are you getting god-like creature from? and who's to say a god wouldn't use a gun? shooting things can be fun & therapudic! :D

dpizzle - i'm digging it. it is a little too space man but i think he's showing a lot of character. is this still a wip? because i like the white v. tan. maybe give the white a glossy, ceramic finish? my only thing is that if you're still looking to give him legs if they're that far apart, it may make him seem a bit bow legged.

keep up the nice work! good luck!

-J

Reo
02-06-2007, 05:41 AM
Note to CGSociety Shadows
(Ancient)
How DARE they destroy one of our ancestral planets! Did they think such an outrageous act would not go unpunished? Do they think they are the sole inhabitants of this universe? For a mere 3000 years we have slept only to be awakened by some silly squabbling children. Look at them. Look at them scurry about in their absurd games of war. Look at their ridiculous accomplishments; 11 planets burning, one planet gone! This must NOT continue! Come! Come sisters, brothers, fathers and friends, come and let us once again eradicate the source of a new irritation. As our consciousness awakens, let our hands become once again active. Let us smite these pests and make them understand the reality of our utter supremacy!

As the rest of us awaken, Go first my Shadows! Let it be known to all that the Society has returned and let it be known to all that in the face of war, we are ABSOLUTE! Destroy those who dare challenge us and open a path of fire that leaves no doubts as to our intentions; we are simply here to cleanse ALL! Now go, and restore our name as the most powerful force in the universe!. . . CGSociety!!

I guess I should rephrase....

not so much a gun persay but I thought any weapons they have would be a bit more evolved judging but the breifing.. I wasnt trying to say no gun.... sorry about that.

GrM
02-06-2007, 06:28 AM
I kind of agree with Reo. I think the idea of a little green man-type is fun, but the gun should be more raygun/laser/plasma/future-blah than conventional.

dpizzle
02-06-2007, 12:01 PM
ahh... i see what you're saying Reo, and I definetely agree with you.
His current gun is a little too military-ish, I'll give him a laser rifle, and maybe a little laser blaster on his side.

Thanks a lot Reo -
He is still most definetely a WIP - i am working on him on my lunch breaks at work for the next few days :thumbsup:
Yeah, his legs would look very weird if they were spaced like that, I will fix that today, I'll just make the little booties (?) face more downward rather that outward.

thanks for the comments guys

ScudzAlmighty
02-07-2007, 02:10 AM
as aliens go i think your design works, but more of a sorta Mars Attacks! type guy than an ancient race, but if you want to go in this direction, i've got a couple ideas that might help,

to start, age the face, give him some wrinkle under the eyes, and some worn skin, like an old sailor (not like a sailor from 100 years ago, but just one thats been on the sea his whole life)
my wife's grandfather is one of those guys and he's got some incredibly interesting skin and wearon his face

he's too human, at first glance he looks like an average green-skined joe with a big forehead, you don't need to change him too much, but maybe some streamlined(?) features? a narrower nose and bigger, slanted eyes perhaps?

think about where he's from as well, does he wear the helmet because he needs a special air supply? or is just for when he's floating around space? if so, why are his arms exposed? actually, either way why are his arms exposed? look at old space suits and antique diving suits, i think you'll be able to find some awesome idea's that'll really retro his green ass up while giving him a classic sci-fi look

hope these idea's help and that i'm not overstepping my bounds
Scudz

dpizzle
02-07-2007, 03:21 AM
sciz-udz, what's up man - thanks for the suggestions

throwing more stuff out for crits...

i reworked my design a bit, just the basic looks, everything that will be UNDER his armor, guns, etc... (if he has any) and i think he looks more like an older guy from an 'ancient' alien race now...
lots more to be added, i'll keep you updated

UPDATES BELOW

dpizzle
02-08-2007, 04:08 AM
little more progress...

UPDATES BELOW

tin-tin
02-09-2007, 02:09 AM
looking good I'm liking the new one :), what will you have for the armor ?

subscribed :P

dpizzle
02-09-2007, 02:38 AM
hey thanks tintin - he's actually a spy - alias : Blowback - so he won't have much armor, if any.

here's a small update
i plan to finish the concepting phase and start the low poly mesh(es) by this saturday, but
i guess we'll see...

any crits? i don't mind, that's why i'm posting, of course,

dpizzle
02-12-2007, 03:34 AM
very much WIP...just posting as I go - thanks for any comments and/or suggestions
and my website is down for a while, so i'll repost these concepts as well

dpizzle
02-12-2007, 03:38 AM
more concept sketches

dpizzle
02-13-2007, 04:28 AM
further along...

updates below

dpizzle
02-14-2007, 03:36 AM
little more work done today
worked out basic head and face shape
more muscle structure
worked out hand and finger shape

tin-tin
02-14-2007, 11:09 PM
looking good, can you show some wires aswell. Are you going to use zbrush for this?

dpizzle
02-15-2007, 04:55 PM
thanks tintin - i'm actually going to finish up the lowpoly mesh and his spy gadgets, then drop them in mudbox, the best sculpting software ever :thumbsup:

updates asap, crunch time at work sucks

dpizzle
02-16-2007, 04:30 AM
more work...
modeling out base meshes for the 3 gadgets he will carry (maybe one more?)
anyway - i'll be sculpting out the detailed meshes in mudbox and maya soon, almost done with his mesh, should be done this weekend

jesuisankit
02-16-2007, 04:41 AM
hey dude ... nice work so far... I would though say that u can reduce the amt of edgs and poly's near the hig area.... :)

dpizzle
02-16-2007, 08:12 PM
thanks dude,
i'm guessing you mean the HIP area, is that right?
If so, i see what you mean, i can definetely reduce the amount of polys in a few spots on the main mesh...

thanks again!

dpizzle
02-16-2007, 09:17 PM
here are some of his spy gadgets he will use in the war:

-Compact FHB <Fluorine/Hydrogen/Byutomiin> Combustor:
Used to subdue hostile forces and/or instantly corrode any metal surface, such as the inner workings of a lock, to gain entry. Extra cartridges can be stored inside of handle.

-Lightweight Extendable Scope:
This spyscope is made from alien compounds & can be extended and contracted to fit comfortably in any agents tool belt or backstrap. It comes equipped with 3 modes:
*Thermographic and NightVision modes, which can obtain clear visuals from 2 miles away.
&
*Zoom mode (w/ analog slider) which can obtain clear visuals from up to 3.5 miles away.

-Mini-Laser/Optical Detectors:
Used by Agents to remotely detect any movement and/or sound in unattainable areas, or within the current vicinity, without being seen. The bot(s) will then relay this information back to the Agent's ContaktBox attached to his SpecSuit, allowing the Agent to remain undetected while completing his or her mission.

tin-tin
02-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Nice work, I have a suggestion though you might want to keep poly flow even, making the polygons all square sized so you will need more loops on the arms, this way you won't have sparse or dense areas once you get to mudbox stage. I hope that makes sense.

dpizzle
02-17-2007, 01:14 AM
hey thanks tintin -
does this look better? i've thought of that before, but i didn't want to waste any polys where i didn't need them, but i guess i do have about 3000 to spare :)

one question - is it okay if i mirror uv's if i'm doing a normal map for this?
such as, lay one arms uv's on top of the others?

thanks again

tin-tin
02-17-2007, 11:00 PM
This is much better :), you can always optimize the lowpoly later on anyway then generate the normal map. Mirroring the arm shouldn't cause any problem.

Anyway keep up good work.

SeanB
02-18-2007, 12:20 AM
It makes a lot of sense to mirror the UVs, unless you want something asymmetrical, like different coloration on one arm, or different fabric folds. One thing I'd recommend is not mirroring the face. I did that once, looked creepy (unintentionally).

dpizzle
02-18-2007, 04:11 AM
awesome, thanks a lot guys...
so, do i bring both arms into mudbox and use the mirror function, then bring it back into maya and delete one half of it? or just work on one side of it in mudbox?

here's where i'm currently at - just for a heads up
gonna start mudboxin tonight

dpizzle
02-21-2007, 03:57 AM
trying to learn mudbox .... i wanted to post this test i was doing on his head (about 20 min of work)...that program is incredible, i can only imagine how much detail i can get with this once i sit down and take my time, and yes - his ears are all messed up.

ScudzAlmighty
02-21-2007, 05:12 AM
nice start with the scuplt so far, the neck and cheeks look especially good, i find the mouth area more messed up than the ears, but it doesn't look like you've done anything with it yet so thats ok,

nice gun design as well:thumbsup:

dpizzle
02-21-2007, 03:19 PM
thanks scudz

ya, i'm still trying to figure out what to do with his mouth area, i might not even give him one, i dunno.
again, the mudbox work was just a test while i was trying to teach myself how it works, with the layers and all...so i'll probably redo everything i've done so far, and make my own stamps rather than using the ones that come with mudbox.

thanks again, i think the gun design came out pretty good too :thumbsup:

dpizzle
02-24-2007, 04:38 AM
i have a problem...
when i try to import a mesh that's over a million polys into maya to generate a normal map, maya crashes before i can do anything. How do i go about attaching a normal map to a shader and putting on a model in maya, rather than just letting the transfer map tool do it for me?(after generating the normal map in mudbox)

here's a few things i'm working on....

dpizzle
02-24-2007, 09:33 PM
does anyone know why meshes turn green and don't allow you to edit them in mudbox? it's such a pain in the ass and i don't know what to do about it.

anyone experienced this problem?

image removed

ScudzAlmighty
02-24-2007, 11:03 PM
that looks like some kind of selecting error,
if you select an area of your model and increase the polys in it, than the rest of the model will turn green like that, deselcting all should fix it though... you may need to go back to the last working version of the file, or maybe stepping back a level? not entirely sure but i think thats it

dpizzle
02-25-2007, 02:42 AM
hey thanks scudz - i did have different parts of it subdivided differently, that's what it was. there are some settings under preferences>levels that you can mess with to turn it off, or change the color.

oh, and another thing, my model was about 100x too small for mudbox to work properly (from Maya)

thanks again
:thumbsup:

ScudzAlmighty
02-25-2007, 02:46 AM
glad i could help:wise:

dpizzle
02-26-2007, 02:30 AM
well, mudbox is giving me all sorts of problems lately, so i don't know when i'll be posting any updates.

:sad:

ScudzAlmighty
02-27-2007, 01:51 AM
yes you will, just keep working at it and you'll get there, take a brake from mudbox for a while and work on some of his accesories just in maya, you can still do high detailed stuff without sculpting, belts and things. you cuold finish the high res versions of his gun and try working some of that retro space-suit/armour back into him. there's plenty to do! and in the words of the beloved Rob Schinder

"You can do it!" :thumbsup:

dpizzle
02-28-2007, 02:54 AM
thanks scudz :), and you're right.
thankfully, i managed to get mudbox working, and am able to work on some stuff whenever time allows. i think i am going to use maya, like you said, to sculpt on the high poly versions of the gun and scope - i think it will work out better because both of these shouldn't be TOO smoothed out along the edges - i think that mudbox, as awesome as it is, will be more of a pain to work around with these two objects.

thanks again though :thumbsup: will post updates asap

dp

ScudzAlmighty
03-21-2007, 01:33 AM
you gonna update this badass or what?

dpizzle
03-21-2007, 03:51 AM
dude, i don't know what i'm gonna do with this thing.
we've been working non stop on this game at work, plus the boss has be redesigning the webpage & drawing comics for his book he's writing.
So by the time I get home, i'm struggling trying to figure out how to get the normal mapping to work correctly, then I just don't feel like messing with it after I can't get it to work a few time, plus it's 10:30 or 11:00, and i'm tired as shit.
what i'm trying to say is .... 'bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch' :D hehe

i am trying to create the normal map for this guy, only using half of the lowpoly mesh, from maya, and the whole mesh in mudbox. Mudbox's normal map generator works most of the time with this model, but sometimes it doesn't and i'm not sure why. It spits out a decent looking map, but when i apply it to the model, it's entirely too strong, and some parts of it lokos very weird, and the seems are very visibile.

One thing - i have learned SOOO much doing this project, that my next normal mapped character will be very nice, and I guess that's the important thing.

I learned not to use ANY triangles, or it will bog my system down until it's about ot die (about 10 tri's in his hand almost killed my computer). And I also learned that you don't need any detail at all in the low poly mesh, because once you sculpt it out in mudbox, you are just gonna go back and resculpt the lowmesh to fit around the high, so what's the use? :)

Anyway, I am hoping to finish this guy, but I just don't know when. Thanks for the support though, scudz. I'm looking forward to seeing your character finished as well, he is looking very awesome so far :thumbsup:

DP

(here is a picture of the high-res so far)
http://www.davidpayneonline.com/misc/Dominance/highresBLOWBACK.jpg
(below is a test of the map that i did for his torso/arms/legs that didn't seem to work very well when applied to the model. It is laid out like this because i wasn't sure if i could overlap UVs to mirror one half over, but I guess I can, after looking at some of the other entries.)

http://www.davidpayneonline.com/misc/Dominance/NMTEST.jpg

ScudzAlmighty
03-21-2007, 06:08 AM
wow, talk about a good excuse for taking your time,

the high-poly looks really good right now, i like the detail along the insides of torso and legs, and yeah the learning is the best part.

or course $2000 is nice as well:thumbsup:
mines gonna come in pretty close to the wire as well, but we can do it!

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2007, 06:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.