PDA

View Full Version : Matte Painting: Morning on Junktopia

dave_baer
02-25-2003, 04:07 AM
My very first matte painting. What do you think? Please, C&C more than welcome.

http://fraghq.com/brainswell/images/matte%20howto/final.jpg

:beer:

frog
02-25-2003, 10:34 AM
Well I think it needs more detail to be exciting, at the moment it's too empty.

Personally I don't really like the greenish tinge in the top part of the sky, morning and evening light is normally red due to the light diffracting through the atmosphere. You may well have imagined it in a different atmosphere than ours, but it doesn't make sense that it goes from a reddish tinge at the bootom to a greenish one at the top, to me anyway.

It's a good start, I would suggest develloping the sky a bit more and maybe including some foreground detail.

dave_baer
02-25-2003, 02:32 PM
frog: You're right. It's not "our" atmosphere. I guess I should have put a bit more description there eh? heh heh...

It's supposed to be on a junk planet, filled with rusted metal and dust (thus the red tinge at the bottom) and smoke and smog filled skies (the green tinge at the top). That's why there's such a weird range of color there. Yes, I agree that there should be more in the forground as well. But there's goinf to be a lot of 3D elements composited into it so I didn't bother with a lot of foreground detail. Perhaps later I will add some stuff.

Thanks for the comments. :thumbsup:

:beer:

wayonCG
02-26-2003, 01:49 AM
Really nice!

chrisdejoya
02-26-2003, 04:26 AM
well..it's a far cry from what i expect of matter paintings. i alsways thought they had to be photorealistic.

the clouds don't do it for me either...oh well, good luck on your next one. show us the composited piece when yer done.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.