PDA

View Full Version : Dominance War II: Gavin_G

GavinG
02-06-2007, 01:22 AM
Hey guys, I'm officially entering the battle. Mostly this is just to reserve my spot...

Posting a quick sketch, I'm clearly no concept artist...but hey, hopefully it gets the point across :P

The idea is that this guy is more or less brute force, the muscle they send in to clear a path for the important people. Expect more little sketches soon -

http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/concept1.jpg

Not taking the "ancient" term too literally,. I imagine these guys as being an old race, almost lizard type creatures that once ruled a ton of planets, drained them of any use to themselves and left them alone. Now that Polycount is messing things up, they're pissed and have sent in these guys to clear a path and for a first impression.

Still not sure on weapons or the lower half. He may just go hand to hand...thinking about giving him some cermonial looking type armor plates around his waist and legs.

Gav

ill_logic
02-06-2007, 05:45 AM
the head things make him look very twil'lek (or whatever the hell it is... from star wars) but your description kind of makes me think of astaroth from the soul caliber series. i like the big bony extrusions coming off his wrist. must have one hell of a backhand.
if clearing a path is his forte, you may want to consider giving him some sort of centaur kind of lower body. not like a horse, but like a rhino or an elephant, something large that people wouldn't want to be in the way of. just a suggestion. look forward to seeing how he progresses.

-J

GavinG
02-06-2007, 06:17 AM
Centaur/Rhino thing is a pretty wicked idea...Perhaps I'll sketch that up :twisted:

I was also thinking about making a giat mouth (or hole area) around his stomach that would contain a sort of magical fire. I hate using that term as it sounds very frilly...but that's the best way to describe it. So, this area when set on "fire" would create a coloured smoke to billow off of him as he would walk around the battlefield. The purpose of this, much like Blackbeard making his head smoke, would be to intimidate his opponenets as he would appear to be a hulking fighter made out of smoke and fire...or at least give him a more hellish look.

Also thinking about changing his tumor-like arms to have spines coming out of them...so when he does do this backhand...it's a little more violent.

Opinions? Go team!

Gav

collings
02-06-2007, 12:53 PM
hi Gavin, your first concept looks great!
Enjoy the war ;)

terraarc
02-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Great start here fellow warrior!
His arm structure reminds me of a gorilla, who also is a strong cleansing creature!! Also on the weapon side some kind of mace or a great hammer might do!
Waiting for more

GavinG
02-07-2007, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys! Another little doodle. Trying the look with an "rock" type armor that would billow smoke and a centaur like bottom half (as mentioned earlier.)

http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/concept2.jpg

Opinions?
Gav

FaR-SeeR
02-07-2007, 04:28 AM
SWEEEET AS!

i dig this concept!, as for a weapon? are you thinking of maybe a large flail for your guy..i dunno i ain't no artist soo i'm not gonna intrude but keep doing what ever the hell ure doing.. its working for me! :)

keep up the AWEsome work

rasmusW
02-07-2007, 10:43 AM
hey gavin!

very nice design. funny detail about the "belly-head".
good luck.

-r

GavinG
02-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys, hoping to start modeling soon. Can't wait to start his face.

brokenpencil
02-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Maybe th mouth in the belly can barf out a beam of plasma, like an internal blaster cannon ;)

veedubb
02-09-2007, 06:38 PM
i like it so far. i think the rhinos back is to flat. hit it up w/ some musculature and it will push the overall brutness. im not sure about the mouth though, its cool but depending on what this characters overall appearance will look like in the end im not sure if it will be necessacary. but then again, its only an opinion-good stuff though-keep it up!

GavinG
02-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Cheers guys, I really appreciate the feedback. The body will definitely be more beefy than what my concept lets on, with the crusty, scale bits, scars, etc. I'm debating redesigning the arms and calves to be gauntlets/braces with the spikes sticking out like in my last concept.

Anyways, here's some progress on the head modeling. This is the base I'll be using before I slap him into ZB.

http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/thrull_01.jpg

Thanks.
Gav

madshooter
02-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Hey dude centuar kind of craeture looks cool:thumbsup: Nice concept and great start with modeling. All the best:)

dmonk
02-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Graet job on the face. definitely matches the sketch. Good luck with the contest!

GavinG
02-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks guys. More modeling...I'm hoping to add a lot of the detail in ZB, especially around the belly mouth.

http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/thrull_02.jpg

Something is kind of bugging me though. Oddly enough, this is the first character I will have created for next gen specs and I'm wondering what the best workflow would be for generating the normal maps. Obviously, the ZB sculpt is a key element to my piece..what I'm expecting to do is make the best cuts I can so that I can subdivide it in ZB to a decent level of detail and then just export the corresponding low poly pieces and generate the normal map through ZMapper. I'm afraid though that the seams will be very obvious, maybe I'll just have to paint out the seams in PS.

Any suggestions? I'm definitely not new to the whole ZB scene...just that all of the character's I've ever created have obvious places to put a seam - t-shirt to bicep, neck/collar, etc.

Cheers,
Gav

jbrophy
02-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Holy Crap G, I had no idea. Fantastic

As far as you normal question there are 2 camps on this. One is you do your low poly model first and unwrap it, the other is you do your high and then low poly around it.

Epic does a low poly to get all the shaping created, then creates the high res, then rebuilds the low around it from what I understand.

Good luck man. Lookin sweet

GavinG
02-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Word, thanks man. Your stuff is looking sweet as well :)

The way I usually work is that I create a medium res mesh (quicker and easier to get shapes right), slap that sucker into ZB to get all of the fine detail, reduce that same med res mesh to an engine friendly mesh, unwrap him then chop it up and import it into ZB to project the normal maps onto.

The issue I'm having now is wondering where I should chop him up for both the high and the low...1) so ZB can handle it and 2) so I can put my seams in smart places. Before, most of my characters are civilians and stuff...pretty obvious where to put seams.

So I guess my problem is more or less what pieces to export to sculpt as this character is pretty much 1 piece. Maybe - 1) Head 2)Neck/Chest/Arms 3)Stomach Mouth Piece 4) Legs/Back/Belly.

...Maybe? :P

Peace man, thanks for comments
G

Scotcho
02-13-2007, 09:47 PM
I personally create the lowpoly, unwrap it, then bring a slightly moded version of that into Zbrush (so that subdividings works as I'd like, ie. more geo in the chin). Then I use zmapper to bake out the normal map. You're also able to update the lowpoly and re-import that into Zbrush as the lowest subdivision as long as you don't make any vertice changes (great for detailing for a pose, since it keeps your symmetrical details you created on higher levels).

*For chopping up, you can try importing more than you want to detail... like that forearm as well if you're detailing the hand. Then the hand once you're detailing the forearm... then crop them and photoshop and clean up with the neutral blue or clone stamp. You can also clonestamp the seam out in Zbrush once you bake out the texture.

I really like your concept and where you're headed with this guy. You probably don't need all the vertical lines down the chest and stomach... I think if it doesn't affect the silhouette and won't help with deformation, I remove it (if I plan on normal mapping).

GavinG
02-14-2007, 02:14 AM
Cool, thanks for the tip Scotcho

polygonwarrior
02-14-2007, 02:19 AM
good stuff buddy.I also have a four legged creature in my concept. :thumbsup:

GavinG
02-16-2007, 07:20 AM
http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/thrull_03.jpg

Thanks CUBISIS. Not much free time lately...:(

rasmusW
02-16-2007, 07:26 AM
hey gavin!

just dropped by.
-nice progress on this guy. how many poly's are you at atm.?

-r

dmonk
02-16-2007, 11:41 AM
Shaping up nicely Gavin Keep it up!

GavinG
02-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Thank guys. This is just the base mesh I'll be using to begin my sculpt...it's at around 10 k or so, I'll end up reducing it or building a more sufficient low poly model from it :)

Finding spare time this week has been rather unscuccessful but today I'm plugging away at it.

Peace.

Rod Seffen
02-17-2007, 08:21 PM
I really like this concept, but I don't quite see how it fits into the brief of 'highly advanced, ancient, immortal race who've just come out of millennia of dormancy'.

GavinG
02-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks oDDity. Another small update...I was ooking at the briefing after you mentioned them being immortal and couldn't find any reference to it, Although there's a good chance that I'm missing something.

The way I see it is that these guys, this race of creatures, either inhabited or won control over tons of planets a long long time ago. Since then they became bored with their control, were sick of trying to maintain order and just let the civilizations exapnd, war, do as they pleased. Until Polycount took it to far. Now, after years of keeping to themselves, years of keeping out of everyone's way, this civilization that once ruled thousands of years ago is very pisse doff at how Polycount has taken their rulership for granted and have sent this grade of warrior to the frontlines to murder everything in their path and to clear the way for the hordes of units that are closely following.

I don't see them as this immortal being...nor do I see them literally being "asleep" for 3000 years. I still see them dying and breeding, training new fighters just in case the time ever comes...and it has.

http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/thrull_05.jpg

ScudzAlmighty
02-17-2007, 10:55 PM
that's one hell of an awesome design Gavin,
you've done a really good job of bringing across the character in the... well in the character.

it looks like you've gone back to the first version of the forearms, where they had plate armour? i think sticking with the rocky formations (the ones that looked like little volcanoes) might give him a more consistant design, but that's up to you i guess, good luck,
can't wait to see the high res

GavinG
02-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Cheers Scudz,

I'm thinking about going with a mixture of the two. As if these plates are formed out of the rocky natural armour on the body. So, even though these plates ar ethere, they'll be protruding out of the rock type surfac ethat was in my second concept. Planning on mking the feet area the same rocky natural armor and also the belly mouth.

Thanks again,
Gav

SeanB
02-18-2007, 12:18 AM
I love the stance already (and it isn't even posed). The basic proportions are pretty sweet. This model looks great even real tiny. There's also something viceraly menacing about that lower face, like while you're trying not to get throttled by his arms, that lower jaw could take a chomp out of your nethers. Love it.

GavinG
02-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks Sean. Began sculpting the head...I'd say it's about 50%, probably has about another night to go. Just wanted to show I'm not dead.

http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/thrull_06.jpg

mabuffaloe
02-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Hey wow, this is a really cool concept! I love the model so far.... the shape is really interesting! It's weird... the top head is kinda small, so it almost looks like a scondary head... like the main one would be the one in its belly. Good luck with the high poly and the texturing!

dmonk
02-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Nice! Maybe later on add some asymetry to the horns. Like one of the could be partial hacked off.

GavinG
02-21-2007, 07:15 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah, I noticed while modeling it that it almost looked like a four legged creature with a head sticking out of it. I'm planning on making that mouth part almost like a rock formation...Molded from the natural armor to increase intimidation. so, hopefully that will take away the secondary look of the priary head :P

I hacked one of the other tentacles a little...may go in and do some more.

http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/thrull_07.jpg

Thanks.
Gav

Qareeb
02-23-2007, 07:39 AM
good stuff man, I'm really digging that sculpt your starting up :) I wish I could join the DW but I don't know maybe.

I will keep an eye on your entry

onelung
02-23-2007, 10:52 PM
looks damn cool, love the stature of this guy, definetly feels like he's ready to deal some shit :)

Pdude2K7
02-23-2007, 11:47 PM
Gavin your entry is coming along great, looks really good so far, Best of luck you man:thumbsup: .

-Pdude2K7

fx81
02-24-2007, 01:28 AM
nice work man. i like where this is going. :thumbsup:

GavinG
02-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Yo Guys,

Thank you very much for the replies, i really do appreciate them. I've been sculpting away at this dude's body today. Firs timage is ZB screenies...2nd is a lower rez import into Max. (sorry, Fred. I...uhhh..."borrowed" your title image :P)

http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/thrull_08.jpg
http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/thrull_09.jpg

ScudzAlmighty
02-24-2007, 11:08 PM
damn that looks good, maybe you could try breaking up the area's where the rock meets the flesh a little? it looks a bit like he's wearing some crazy pants right now and it might be more interesting to increase the spacing around the top protrusions, so that it's a little less level?
just a thought though

dmonk
02-25-2007, 12:45 AM
Thats pretty badass Gavin!

GavinG
02-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks guys! Scudz, thanks for the input, man...I'll be updating that area next.

Cheers,
Gav

jbrophy
02-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Lookin nice G

I think the oblique area is looking like rock but the front of the belly is looking a little lumpy. I think just a little edge creasing would help harden up those areas a little bit and help sell it some.

Keep up the good work.

GavinG
02-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Thanks, J. I creased the edges a little after getting your suggestion although, afte rlooking at this new version, I may have to do it a bit more. Little progress on the arms-

http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/thrull_10.jpg

Gav

monkeycorn
02-26-2007, 11:53 PM
Looking very nice :). I think your guy and my guy should team up and take over the world ;)

Keep up the good work.

ScudzAlmighty
02-27-2007, 01:27 AM
well that's just...

wow Gavin...

really, wow :thumbsup:

leadheaded
02-27-2007, 06:13 AM
Very nice, I can really feel the weight of the character growing with each update. Rock on.

thatoneguy
02-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Good job Gavin G!

hehehe.

requiem2d
02-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Hard surfaces rock, looking forward to this one completed :D

GavinG
02-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Hey, hey! Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the comments.

Hah, monkeycorn...that'd be the tag team from hell.

Another Gavin G.!? How does the world still function?

First pass on the front legs...don't pay attention to his bum, please. Went with the same rocks/scales for his lower legs, got all the muscles and stuff in place...just need to add some finer details. Once I get the back legs and tail in there, I'll go back and add some more stuff.

Thanks again.
Gav

ScudzAlmighty
02-28-2007, 01:53 AM
now you know that by saying that everyone will be focusing on his bum right? cause i can't stop looking at it...:blush:

the progress looks great so far, but what's going on with the spaces between the muscles on his legs? it looks a bit like stitches holding them together? is this just the building blocks for rocky protusions? or are you going Franken-centaur-two-headed-rock-creature on us?

dmonk
02-28-2007, 02:53 AM
Nice. I like how the body flows down to the hined legs. Keep it up Gavin, this is great.

benclark
02-28-2007, 03:06 PM
outstanding work Gavin. I love how you have cut in definition on the chest muscles, great syle. I've been following all the entries this year and along with Tim Appleby's this is my favourite of the lot

I'm look forward to more :)

GavinG
02-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Hey, Hey...thanks guys!

Scudz:The spaces in the leg muscles are just following the same look on the deltoids. I think i may have taken it too far though..where as the ones on the arm more accurately look just like skin stretched over muscle, the legs seem very Frankensteinish. I'll go back and make it less extreme :)

dmonk: Thanks buddy :)

Alchemist101: Wow, thank you. Tim's work is amazing, not just his Polycount entry but all of the stuff he produces. Shame that he's playing for the wrong team :D

Again, thanks for the feedback..I appreciate it. I fell asleep last night watching Seinfeld and didn't wake up until it was time to go to work. Soooo...I'm hoping to get tho this guys bum and back legs tonight along with some revisions.

Cheers,
Gav

GavinG
03-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Worked on the legs and bum-

http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/thrull_12.jpg

Thanks for looking :)
Gav

GavinG
03-04-2007, 12:21 AM
Low poly, weighing in a 5,968. Might still reduce it further...almost UV'ing time...but right now I hear Saint's Row calling my name.

http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/thrull_13.jpg

ximage
03-04-2007, 09:19 AM
hey gavin, this is looking really nice. like what you have done with the rock, i might have to go back and review my rock, as yours seems to be dicking on mine at the mo, tee hee. :thumbsup:

keep it up, cant wait to see how the normal maps turn out.

ximage

GavinG
03-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks man :)

jbrophy
03-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Damn man, that is looking sweet

Guess I can still shoot for second :P

FredH
03-08-2007, 04:01 AM
No crits, only praise! You are doing a fantastic piece here! This is one of my favorites for the societies. You really conveyed his heavy weight very well.

Looking forward to seeing this ancient one finished!

foche
03-08-2007, 04:28 AM
Love the details man....really good mass too!
keep it up the good work!
cya

sanhueza
03-08-2007, 04:40 AM
Amazing piece, true inspiration to work harder! :) Your shadow looks like Kintaro on crack, and he conveys alot of character. The normal map on him will be icing on the cake. Looking forward to seeing this one finished. Peace!

- me

GavinG
03-09-2007, 07:11 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Just a quick normal map test, got the upper body unwrapped...now just the lower.

http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/thrull_14.jpg

-Gav

vrapp
03-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Looking sharp!

Nice to see that Im not the only one on our team going for a more ancient semi-stone-creature. :)

Keep it up, you are really going somewhere with this.

jbrophy
03-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Man that is sweetness. The texture is going to really make this bad boy sing.

elzilcho
03-09-2007, 06:08 PM
wow, it looks amazing.

so amazing in fact, that ive seen someone try to copy the exact idea of your model for this competition. don't worry though. it's not a scratch on yours.

-EZ-

ill_logic
03-10-2007, 07:57 AM
glad to see that rhino/centaur suggestion is paying off for you!
i'll be my half of the winnings when you go on to victory!

:D just teasing with you! it's great to see how this model shaped up! awesome job! he's definitely a force to be reckoned with! can't wait to see the finished product. any thoughts to the display/stand or final pose for him?

-J

TimAppleby
03-10-2007, 05:01 PM
this guy is pretty fun, nice work :)

GavinG
03-10-2007, 05:11 PM
vrapp- thanks

j- word :)

elzilcho- Thanks. Hehe, I was unaware of this. Might just be coincidence, it's not like I invented centaurs :P

ill_logic- I'm taking that prize money and heading straight for Mexico! It's daunting how many good entries there are this year. Actually, I haven't even seen all of them, I think I've only looked at 3D Total once since the contest began. There's so many entries, it's hard to keep track of all of them. The ones from opposing teams that I'm really looking at are Spacemonkey, Mop, FredH and ghost_rider. I guess it's because I already know the names so I automatically look at their stuff or something :P

But seriously man, thanks for the suggestion on the heavy centaur body. I don't think I would be near happy with him if he was just biped.

As for the base, I was thinking about just making a few rocky patches maybe with some dead grass sprigs sticking out. Not neccessarily going for the round pedestal, but maybe a few seperate pieces acting as a base. Just something different but not too complicated as I'd rather spend my time on the character.

Soon I'll be looking at colour tests, you guys have any suggestions? I was thinking red for the belly mouth, red plates on the arms, dark for the rocky bits and scales on his body (not neccessarily black but maybe close to it.) ...and maybe shades of brown for his skin.

Gav

Edit> Oh hey Tim, didn't see your post...must've been at the same time. Thanks :P

ScudzAlmighty
03-10-2007, 08:08 PM
don't do red plates for the arms, they'll look better if they feel like part of his arms instead of gauntlets. how about if you do the rocky parts as fairly dark black/brown, with read in the cracks (like Lava), and the lighter grey for the flesh. going pink-ish in the front andwith maybe some dark spots on his back where he's more exposed to the elements? maybe the brighter red area's could have a faint glow as well? just a thought...

GavinG
03-11-2007, 01:43 AM
Thanks Scudz, I'll try it out :)

More normal mapping...
http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/thrull_15.jpg

ScudzAlmighty
03-11-2007, 07:30 AM
man, that looks really amazing,
question for you (regarding my own entry), if you can spare a minute:
when your setting up the low poly for the normal map, should it be slightly bigger than the high-res, or slightly smaller? i get the basics of the process, but i've only taken the time to do one test and the two models kind of intersected each other i so got a kinda half-high, half-low normal map.
thanks

ColdKodiak
03-11-2007, 08:04 AM
man, that looks really amazing,
question for you (regarding my own entry), if you can spare a minute:
when your setting up the low poly for the normal map, should it be slightly bigger than the high-res, or slightly smaller? i get the basics of the process, but i've only taken the time to do one test and the two models kind of intersected each other i so got a kinda half-high, half-low normal map.
thanks

slightly bigger.
Normals are baked by shooting rays from the low poly surface then bouncing back from the highpoly model.

You low poly should be like a shell of armor, encapsulating your highpoly.

GavinG
03-11-2007, 09:45 AM
Aye. For me I just make the low poly shell as close as possible to modified medium rez mesh that I have created. Earlier, I created a medium rez model to sculpt from, after I was done sculpting I exported the medium rez model back into Max (just in case extreme shapes changed the shape of the model) and optimize that mesh into a game engine friendly, low rez one. Hopefully that makes sense, I'm half asleep :)

Gav

RedFish
03-11-2007, 10:31 AM
looking cool so far man, keep it up!

ScudzAlmighty
03-11-2007, 09:41 PM
awesome, thanks guys:thumbsup:

monkeycorn
03-13-2007, 01:06 AM
I want to see textures! :) TEXTURE, TEXTURES, TEXTURES.....

can't wait.

GavinG
03-14-2007, 04:58 AM
hehe, thanks :P

Just a quick pas son the textures, wanted to show I'm not dead-

Gav

ScudzAlmighty
03-15-2007, 12:52 AM
nice start, the horns lose a lot of detail that dark though. good choice of colours:thumbsup:

GavinG
03-15-2007, 07:18 AM
Another update....yes yes. Going to hopefully do the hands tomorrow, get the legs done then go back and do touch ups (like that lame ass flat coloured goatee :) ) Having a tough time with the rocky bits as well...this seems to be the best result so far. Might use the extra polys I have to add some effects in his tummy.

Oh yeah, don't pay attention to the seams.

Thanks for the feedback Scudz :)

Yung
03-15-2007, 07:43 AM
Give the belly face a blue glowing gem eyes! No crits, only praises. Great work!

http://www.dreamstime.com/thumb_24/1128939842tD92Im.jpg

nikudy
03-15-2007, 07:43 AM
nice textures so far. it could use some color variation though. right now it seems too monochromatic.

-claudiu

jbrophy
03-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Looking good man. I think you need a little more color variation if ever so subtle. Keep at it.

AndrewBina
03-17-2007, 07:12 AM
He looks like one bad mother shut-yo-mouth!

jasondesigns
03-17-2007, 02:04 PM
This is one of the best characters Ive seen... He looks so cool I love the amount of detail youve put in so far... I will keep watching this one for sure.

GavinG
03-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks guys :)

Been plugging away at him some more, added a bit of colour to him, although it may be very subtle. I tried having just black plates on his arm, but seeing how he's already very monochromatic...I wanted to add some spice. Tried a few colours with the suggestions of a few friends, went with Orange, Red and Blue...I still think blue is the best choice :P

Also messed with his body's spec, trying to make the rocky bits pop more.

Edit> is his middle part too noisy, i wonder?

rept0r
03-18-2007, 12:31 AM
he is roots ...or rocks, blue tones helps, i think he is in the mob.
looking great

GavinG
03-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks. More painting, nearing completion, i think going to spend the next week tweaking, making a base and building a simple rig. Any ideas for a base? I was thinking a rocky terrain with bits of debris scattered around, some piping, grates, maybe a helmet with some blood smears?

http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/thrull_18.jpg

Gav

ScudzAlmighty
03-19-2007, 01:09 AM
Gavin, he looks awesome man:thumbsup:

i find the blue on his arms a little too solid, like he's starting to freeze or something, but definatley the right way to go with the colours, and the flesh is just, i don't wanna say perfect, but thats what it is...

how's this for a base, i'll send you my guy and you can have him broken and bloodied at this guys feet. (of course, you'll have to finish off that model yourself, so if you wanna send him back to me before the deadline that'd be swell.);)

nikudy
03-19-2007, 02:51 PM
the middle part is too noisy :).

i still think it needs more color variation :wise:.

ScudzAlmighty: you can't use other peoples characters in your images. me and a friend thought about using each others character for the beauty shot. we asked fred_h about this and said it is not ok .

-claudiu

XTitan
03-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Amazing work, the blue glow reminds me of Corum, last Dominance War winner :) I really like your concept great execution too. The modeling and texturing are superb, I love the crystalized forearms.

Keep it up

onelung
03-19-2007, 07:33 PM
very awesome stuff man! love this character, only thing i could think of is maybe trying to add some more hues in both the blue crystals (like some slight greens) and the skin/ stone could use a little subtle hue variation too. Kick arse piece man!

ScudzAlmighty
03-19-2007, 09:21 PM
nikudy, ahem, that was my of saying that he's already won the war imo (and to possibly trick him into finishing my model for me), but yeah, i know we can't do that...:wise:

GavinG
03-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Hah, thanks guys. I'm going to be working on a simple base and rig for him over the next few days and will probably be putting finishing touches on him right until the deadline.

Yeah, Scudz is just kidding around..it's a shame that the internet doesn't have a colour for sarcasm :P

Peace!
Gav

erik_j
03-20-2007, 02:51 AM
stunning!
think the body needs a few specks of varrying hue though.

monkeycorn
03-20-2007, 05:37 AM
I agree with erik, he could use some varied colors throughout. Looks a tad monochromatic over all. Some aqua tones in the crystals, different shades of brown even some gray in his body, possibly some orange or fleshtones mixed in. Of course these are only suggestions, I know you have your own vision of this guy ;). Looking good.

GavinG
03-22-2007, 07:43 AM
Thanks guys!

Here is a test with him on his base and in a pose. The pose isn't much, just enough to get him out of his modeled pose. I'm still working on the construction sheets and everything...wondering how much presentation really matters :P I'm cramming allof my textures onto this one 800x900 image and everything looks SO tiny, heh. Maybe once I'm more awake I'll think of a better way to show everything off.

http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/thrull_test1.jpg

erik_j
03-22-2007, 12:01 PM
looks great but still think he needs some varrying colour.. he's barely bichromatic and needs some other hues except subtle earth colour and isolated clear blue. the model is really great but the colour scheme isn't nearly as great.

GavinG
03-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks eric! I'll probably be tweaking the texture over the next few days. Just wanted to get this stuff out of the way before calling it "done" :)

Gav

Yung
03-23-2007, 07:46 AM
I hate guys like you. Keep making people like me jealous and jobless. Anyway the blue on the hand seems to be splattered on top........Perhaps splattered in a more tribal war paint way? That way you can paint the face too! Haha. Anyway another inspiring piece!

SkyePhelps
03-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Love the way your character has come out. Wish I could see more of him! I especially like the way you are getting the glow in the mouth, how are you doing that? Good Luck!

warpy
03-23-2007, 07:59 PM
awesomeeee

SeanB
03-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Sweeet. I kind of miss the earlier renders, with less noise in the textures, and I have to agree that the blue is a touch "painted on" for the arms. If it's crystal there, it would be nice to see it translucent and less saturated, but overall, a really great model.

GavinG
03-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Hey, hey. Thanks guys, I really appreciate your feedback :) I'll post a new version either tonight or over the weekend. A friend pointed out that the spec on his midscetion may be too uniform, taking away the effec tthat it pops out. So, I may also play around with that to see if I can make that effect look better.

I've also added some blue colours into his skin, just general skin colourations and veins.

SkyePhelps: The colours for his arm pieces and his mouth are a combination of self illumination and spec maps. Using those ot makes them stand out a lot more :)

Thanks again guys, stay tuned for updates :)

Gav

GavinG
03-24-2007, 05:00 AM
Yo,

Here's an update with the changes I mentioned earlier...trying a different lighting setup. Also, becaus eth eimages are really big, I've provided links to other versions plus the other images for submissions. Feel free to give some feedback :) I'm having a hard time with presentation for some of the sheets and am wondering how much of an issue it will be. I assume the point is to just show the work, not have anything fancy.

This is a version using sharp textures and a strong blue light setup to the right. I've given the arms blue chunks some colour variation along with more colours in the body and modified spec on the midsection (although I don't think it seems very different :P) I think out of all of them, I like this one th emost...but would love to hear a vote for everyone's favorite (or a favorite that can be changed slightly)-

http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/thrull_test4.jpg

This is the second option, going back more to the first version...greener skin, old light setup and a few tweaks. (http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/thrull_test2.jpg)

This is the 3rd option, much like the one above just using textures that aren't so sharp. (http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/thrull_test3.jpg)

Potential Construction Image (http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/GavinGoulden_dw2_construction.jpg)

Potential Concept Image (http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/GavinGoulden_dw2_concept.jpg)

Potential Texture Page (I think it's lame but an't think of another way to show 8 maps on a 800x900 image) (http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/GavinGoulden_dw2_texture.jpg)

Sorry for all the links, guys, I just didn't want to post so many large images if people didn't want to see them :)

Cheers,
Gav

Junerahe
03-24-2007, 06:56 AM
Loving the 2nd version... You're repping CGTalk hard, man, loving it...

SeanB
03-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Looks great, just a few changes, make it a she and give her a cape and a ninja sword. :scream:

OK, I like the face, hands and belly beast in verion #3, they seem to read more clearly than those same areas in version #1. I think those parts of the anatomy would read better if they used the softer textures, while the rest of the body was sharper, as shown above.

The pose is a little static. He looks strong, and determined, but he's not doing anything. Since he doesn't have a weapon to hold, about all you could do is give him a more menacing hand gesture or show him taking a step. Maybe those actions are for the beauty shot. In this render, the left forearm and belly beast are blending together a bit. Same thing for right hand and thigh. I think that could easily tweaked in lighting or with a little Pshop fudge.

I don't know what they're looking for in the texture map collages, I think you just need to show the maps and label them clearly. :shrug:

Your construction image could be jazzed up a bit. You do need to show lores, high poly sculpt, and normal mapped lores, but not necessarily two angles on each. It winds up looking very similar. I would use the top three, reserving the rest of the space for a small sideshot of the lores, and a couple of closeups of the face and bellybeast.

Awesome. :thumbsup:

Squibbit
03-24-2007, 02:39 PM
_ _ _ rockin _ _ _ :thumbsup:

erik_j
03-24-2007, 03:12 PM
I like the texture version you picked out too.
however I agree with SeanB that on some areas like stretched skin areas like upper chest, biceps, parts of the back etc, it would be nice with a bit smoother skin.. (I guess that goes mostly to the diffuse as the normal is smooth there)
And I think you should experiment more wildly in PS with colour variations on the diffuse, backing up your real texture, so you can really find out how much variation is way too much and how much is too little, because I still find the skin too monocromatic.
like hooves are usually not same colour as skin nor fur on hooved animals (oftenly divided in two colours like some bone-colour and black for horses or something).
and maybe make some wide ridges on the hooves so they can catch reflection as more (long) facetlike areas.. kind of like human unpolished nails. as the thin ridges kind of has the same "facet"-size as the rest of the rougher areas. that might be a big thing.. adding some larger facets in the hard areas for catching spec... maybe not

the barklike parts would be great if the hue wasn't just the same warm yellowish skinhue as the smoother parts etc. look at the way an old burch tree looks with the smooth parts from white to red while the rough bark-like parts are dark gray to black. hope you don't mind me comparing it with bark xD I think it really looks great so nothing bad in the likeness imo :)
so just shooting in the dark to convey my impression of how it could look even better :)
but if you think you don't have time, I'd leave this for last because it's not worth jeapordising the deadline, but don't take half a day off if you finish early without trying something out, I would suggest :)
wish you the best! hope you bash alot of polycount enemies down the ranking! :D

SeanB
03-24-2007, 03:50 PM
Good point about the hooves, a tiny variation in hue would be nice.

GavinG
03-24-2007, 09:40 PM
Wow, thanks for the great response guys. Taking your advice, I've made a few changes. I've tweaked the lighting slightly, attempting to make his hands not get as lost. I've altered the hue a little on his body, trying to break it up some more and made his hooves a lighter colour. Before they were mostly borwn/pink...now they're closer to a bone colour.

I really wanted to make this guy look more "organic", as if he were a creature of the land...I guess that explains my choice of using boring browns :P I tried doing some colour variations, some REALLY extreme ones, and...i dunno...I just personally like this one more :)

I'm going to keep fiddling with it, but I think I'm almost getting ready to call it finished. I'll be at work all day Monday...so, I'll most likely be submitting my final tomorrow night, heh.

The hoof was a great suggestion, even though I think it's a small detail, it makes a big difference. Thanks for the tip :)

The construction, texture and concept images kind of weird me out. I'm trying to think of something creative for them...but I dunno, maybe it's just best to keep it simple? So, I'm considering the texture page and concept page to be final (or at least 99% final)...the construction image though, I'm not sure, I want to show multiple angles just to show off my sculpt and stuff...but I do agree that it's not overly interesting.

The pose is kind of basic, I'll totally agree with that :P But like you said, there's not too many things that can be done. I could have him rear up as if he's charging or something...but I don't think that would really suit him. Plus, I'm a horrible rigger...so...yeah :)

For the beauty renders, I'm thinking of attempting to show him at 2 or 3 different angles...trying to show his back half as well.

Anyways, here it is with the minor tweaks mentioned above. Again, it's not a huge stretch from my previous update...

http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/thrull_test6.jpg

Cheers, thanks again guys for the amazing feedback. I'll still be tweaking this guy a little over the weekend and also preparing the other images.

Gav

erik_j
03-25-2007, 12:42 AM
well slight changes was probably what was needed because I think it looks good now! :) and if I saw it for the first time I'd probably think it looked perfect.. hope so! :D
btw, never saw the details in the hands before, they look really great anyway! make sure you don't hide them in the final renders!

fx81
03-25-2007, 01:39 AM
your entry is looking great. i like the color contrast. one thing i dont like is the pose. i guess someone mentioned it already but i think you can try something simple like a rearing horse would have.
anyways good work. this makes me want to finish my entry :)

Cyborgguineapig
03-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Awesome...:buttrock:

JPons
03-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Dude, that model its impressive!

Congratulations :)

GavinG
03-25-2007, 11:00 PM
Cheers guys, thanks for the awesome support.

Allllrrriiiiiggghhht, About to call this one finished. Here are the latest images for submission. I have 2 options for the Construction image and 2 for the Beauty image. If you guys wanted to help me decide, that would be awesome. I'm posting the one that i think i like the post but will also post a link to an alternative version. Let me know what you think :)

Winning Pose
http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/GavinGoulden_DW2_WinningPose.jpg

Textures
http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/GavinGoulden_DW2_Texture.jpg

Beauty
http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/GavinGoulden_DW2_Beauty.jpg
Variant - Beauty #2 (http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/Beauty2.jpg)

Construction
http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/GavinGoulden_DW2_Construction.jpg
Variant - Construction #2 (http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/constro_1.jpg)

Concept
http://www.gavimage.com/dw2/GavinGoulden_DW2_Concept.jpg

Thanks again for all the support guys, this contest has been a blast. All the helpful crits and comments have been amazing. I'll give it a few hours to get some input and then will probably submit the finals before going to sleep (work's going to keep me busy tomorrow :) )

Gav

jbrophy
03-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Fantastic man. I must admit knowing yours was being worked on has kept me working on mine many a late night. Thanks for the motivation as well as the crits. Best of luck :)

erik_j
03-26-2007, 12:24 AM
looking great :) I vote for variants #2 on both beauty and construct.
good luck!

dpizzle
03-26-2007, 02:27 AM
get out my life!

this is amazing

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

GavinG
03-26-2007, 06:08 AM
Thanks guys, i appreciate it :)

J: that's good to hear man...I'm really glad you finished your guy, I didn't want to have to hit you :D

erik_j: I agree with you after taking a break and looking at them. I'm using #2 for both:)

dpizzle: thanks!

I've submitted my finals, they're going to be the ones shown above excluding the construction and beauty which will use the #2 variants. Thanks again for everyone's input, this competition has turned out to be really fun. So many amazing looking entries are showing up as the deadline approaches, heh, I'll probably spend another week just looking at all the ones I missed :D

Thanks...Now on to the next project :twisted:
Gav

medunecer
03-26-2007, 09:56 AM
Amazing work!

fx81
03-26-2007, 02:42 PM
great work man, another good entry from cgtalk. only thing missing is a weapon. model something quick and add it. would make a lot of difference. btw, i think you should add the texture specifications on the texture sheet somewhere.

monkeycorn
03-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Excellent finish! Gav! :buttrock:

ChrRambow
03-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Great finals!
I've really enjoyed to watch your progress. :thumbsup:

RedFish
03-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Nice model man, good job!

GavinG
03-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Thanks guys!

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to give him a decent looking weapon. Besides, he's more into hand to hand fighting :)

Thanks again,
Gav

SeanB
03-27-2007, 12:36 AM
Hand to hand? What about mouth to hand? I assumed all along that he grapples opponents with those pointy claws, brings them in for a hug, and chomps them in half.

Nice to be done, isn't it?

GavinG
03-27-2007, 12:38 AM
Hah, that too, forgot to mention the belly mouth :P

Edit> Yeah dude, no matte rhow much i enjoyed doing it, I'm really happy to have it done and over with. I'm happy with it but can't wait to move on, heh

AndrewBina
03-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Awesome. Long live the centaur types!

Yung
03-27-2007, 08:13 AM
Another great work! It's inspiring to see this work made from scratch to completion! A sad thing however that you didn't give him a weapon. A brawler could still use a power glove or soemthing. But great work! As with other completed entries, good luck in the judging. May CGS win!

Xaltar
03-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Polycount will PWN you all!!! mwahahahahaha hack hack cough splutter....

Joking arround asside, awesome entry dude

GavinG
03-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Hah, thanks guys :D

POLYCOUNT FOR T3H LOSE!

SeanB
03-28-2007, 05:20 PM
So which entries on polycount are going to crush us? ;)

Xaltar
03-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Haha I couldn't say, so many great entrys on all sides. This turned out to be a really great comp. Good luck to everyone and I hope to see you all here again next dom war :)

GavinG
03-29-2007, 12:33 AM
I'm most definitely in for DW3. I was waiting for DW2 since the original comp :P
But yeah, amazing entries from everyone:)

mattcoombe
03-29-2007, 01:43 AM
Great entry dude. Really nice sculpting.

CGTalk Moderation
03-29-2007, 01:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.