PDA

View Full Version : Dominance War II: sestan

sestanis
02-06-2007, 01:05 AM
weeee here we go

sestanis
02-07-2007, 12:10 AM
Here's the first concept that I think I'm going to go ahead an develop for the competition. Thinking my character is going to be a long-range sniper (talking 10-20 km). With this sketch, he uses his tentacles on his back to latch on to any surface or overhang, leaving his hands free to handle the weaponry. Developed specifically for this duty, his lower legs have more or less lost almost all muscle and the bone has hardened to act as a mobile sniper stand if he's perched off the side of something (also helps him clamber up hard surfaces just by shoving his sharp nubs into them). Haven't really thought about a head/face yet, but I'm leaning towards a hammer-head type. I'll probably add other equipement too like ammo packs, optic-camo, etc.etc.

sestanis
02-08-2007, 10:00 PM
wanted to flesh out the character of the sniper first before delving into anymore detail... from here I'll start working on the body, suit, and equipment. Hopefully by the end of this week I'll have a solid concept to start building the model, if not, I might have to extend to the middle of next week. Comments and crits are always welcome

eMysfit
02-08-2007, 11:08 PM
I kinda like the bottom colored head the best. Maybe a different color scheme though. Looking foward to more detailed full shot.

sestanis
02-09-2007, 12:23 AM
Cool, i was leaning towards that one and the one in the upper right side, and the one below that one too. From other crits, my buddies were saying that they might look too bruiser-ish for being a bushman sniper, so i might play with it a bit more and make it not so bulky. I'll try a crack at proportions soon

levin
02-09-2007, 02:55 AM
nice character head concepts! i vote for the white one

MasterV12
02-09-2007, 04:39 AM
My favorite is the one at the very bottom, really looks like an ancient warrior

caseofchill
02-09-2007, 05:44 AM
I'm a fan of the upper right one, and the white one. Good stuff.

Scotcho
02-09-2007, 05:56 AM
Awesome style. I really like the tan coloured one on the bottom left... he may be a bit of a bruiser but I say just give him a bigger gun.

sestanis
02-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the votes and suggestions fellas. As I continue to decide which one I'm going to use, I've started simple body proportion sketches here at work (yes, sneaking in time when I can heh). Hopefully I'll have something up this weekend

EvilBlah
02-09-2007, 11:50 PM
hey sestan,

Concepts look great! I really dig the second head from the top that was colored. I think it fits the sniper class a lot better than the others. kind of small and narrow, very sharp. something i would associate with snipers.

i too am doing a sniper but our general concepts are pretty different but i hope you don't mind me referencing your stuff on occasion and maybe dropping by to brainstorm with you!! either way, good work on this and I can't wait to see what else you do! Looks awesome.

-bair

djolar
02-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Very cool concept. Great pose. It has a Evangelion feel to it.

As far as the heads I pretty much like them all. My favs are the middle one (your thumbnail), the middle bottom one and the upper left head.

sestanis
02-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Trying to find time to sketch in my schedule was tougher than I thought! Anyways, going on with the quick body sketches, I'm leaning towards a Dune-esque still suit, mixed with more archaic elements to keep in theme with the race. Buckels, buttons, straps to hold the suit together (also goes into customizing the fit per sniper without having to make specific measurements). Working on keeping lean proportions, and still playing with the tentacle idea which I'm trying to keep. Can't decide if it's going reptilian or armored mammal-ish, probably going to a blending of both. Still haven't solidly chosen a head yet, but there is a general idea of where I'm heading to. Anyways, as always crits and comments are welcome.

I also need to add a spotter for the sniper (as all modern day snipers have spotters). It'll probably be a small floating thingee, real simple. Then off to designing the rifle, packs, scope, and other stuff

manimatron82
02-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Wow. Beautiful. I like the idea of the customizable suit. Makes sense for a sniper. I liked the idea of the tentacles on the back too, so I hope you’re not phasing them out. And I like the war paint on the face of the character on the far left. But there’s still something about them that reads more bad ass ‘SWAT’ style than ‘sniper’… maybe once he’s standing with his sniper’s rifle and has his spotter. But still, something about the armor reads ‘melee’, maybe if it incorporated some form of camo or stealth. I like the silhouette of the creature on the far right. Something about the way the head is sunk into the shoulders makes him look like he’s used to keeping his head low, out of the horizon line. Almost like he’s already straining forward to get a better view. Maybe if he had one permanently squinting eye… eh, or a monocle. J The color palette looks great on all of them. The cross looks cool, too. Kind of gives it that ‘ancient’ sort of crusader touch. I guess you could always try to work in the cgsociety logo somewhere for extra points.

CGTalk Moderation
02-13-2007, 10:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.