PDA

View Full Version : Dominance War II: System404

System404
02-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Latest Update:

http://system404.net/images/dom_web_04.jpg

System404
02-06-2007, 03:24 AM
ok here's what i'm thinking of so far. Trying to make her stealthy looking.

http://system404.net/images/websketch.jpg

The Valkyries of old would come down and aid fallen heroes, but these new Valkyries are heralds of doom.
With their swords "Angervadil" they can cut through the fabric of reality and move about through all dimensions. They are the eyes of the Ancients.

Their presence can only mean one thing, war is here!

fx81
02-06-2007, 03:28 AM
thats a cool concept. looks very balanced. i like the colors too.:thumbsup:

TheBladeRoden
02-06-2007, 03:45 AM
If this were a concept art contest, I'd of already lost. :p

dpizzle
02-06-2007, 03:53 AM
very nice concept
lovely colors

System404
02-06-2007, 04:14 AM
Thanks guys. Was trying to keep the cgsociety colors into the character. Going to try tomorrow and finish up the concept with the weapon... I also was toying with a more "creature" character, but I'm in need of a cool human character for my portfolio so I think I'll keep her.

FredH
02-06-2007, 04:42 AM
Fits the brief perfectly! Really nice job! I love her armor and her colors are very striking. Since you have 1000 tris for the weapon, perhaps something bigger then a pocket knife will be more impressive? How about a pole arm?

Anyways, really great start!

_FreD_

ill_logic
02-06-2007, 04:57 AM
strongest concept i've seen in the whole shebang thus far! does she levitate? does she have some form of propulsion? might be cool to add in some sort of aura or vapor/energy trail detail if you've still got some polys left over. keep it up!

-J

Equinoxx
02-06-2007, 07:26 AM
awesome concept. very much inline of the brief indeed.
love the sort of futuristic rune things going on in the suit.
as well as the shape of the suit itself.

Redgrail
02-06-2007, 07:52 AM
Sweet concept man, it will translate into 3D well. The armor is great.

terraarc
02-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Great concept! The helmet is awesome, EVANGELION-like, really cool!
Agree on the bigger weapon suggestion by FredH

System404
02-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I thought about giving her a bigger weapon but my chick subscribes to Leon's School of Professional Cleaners: "The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. ":scream:
but I'll try and give her something with more presence i guess...

DejaVooDoo
02-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Looks like you're setting the bar so far ... keep up the nice work!

GavinG
02-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Beautiful concept man, keep it up.

stix
02-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Just scrolled through everyones concepts so far, some good work but this is definitely the best so far looks deadly yet elegant, which i think is important when designing a "god" like character, also agree with the original weapon choice, can remember hearing somewhere that its the only way to kill someone and be sure that they are dead, as well as what you quoted earlier. It is also inkeeping with the idea of being highly mobile which i think is your main enthasis with the whole space warping idea. Perhaps like to see something that makes her look less symmetrical, simply because that makes an image more interesting to the eye. Perhaps by making the weapon storage unit to one side or slightly altering the decoration on the armor on one side. If i think of anything else i'll let you know, but so far very good work.

coCoKNIght
02-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Excellent concept and kickass idea with the knife that cuts through time and space :thumbsup:

stabbington
02-06-2007, 05:08 PM
beautiful! definitely a great job on the concept ; )

nikudy
02-06-2007, 05:55 PM
nice concept

you could add some detail on the legs . really nice the story too. about the big weapon : i'm a fan of small, "professional", weapons too. that doesn't mean it can't be a small, complicated one, with lots of details... ;)

-claudiu

FredH
02-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Hi. Like I mentioned before, your entry is really cool. Please submit a thumbnail on dominancewar.com as soon as possible because thumbnail positions never change on the view entry page, so it would be a shame if your art was not on the number 1 line on the first page for the rest of the comp:)

coCoKNIght
02-06-2007, 08:43 PM
FredH: Do we have to be done with the concept sketches in order to be able to do that?

FredH
02-06-2007, 08:45 PM
no, you can hand in a scribble. You can later change thumbnails as often as you like :)

foche
02-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Very good concept...I love the color too!!!congrats!

blankslatejoe
02-07-2007, 12:34 AM
gorgeous work!

System404
02-07-2007, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys.
I'm trying to make my final desicions on the weapon. I want something exotic looking like the african kuba swords, and i'm leaning more towards a smaller blade/knife. on the other hand I'm trying to see how I can make a spear kinda weapon that has the same exotic look but still look somewhat fuctional. The biggest design issue is that the spear weapon would have a straight shaft and that rigidness is what bothers me...Here is the silhouette of the weapons i'll post later my final design.

http://system404.net/images/sketch_weapons01.jpg

blankslatejoe
02-07-2007, 02:42 AM
a lot of them are cool...but i think 7 10 and 9 (the smaller ones) fit your character the best.... actually..she seems like she should be weilding dual blades.. like two knives?

TheFirstAngel
02-07-2007, 04:54 AM
kick ass concept. looking forward to this. keep on rocking! cheers:beer::buttrock::wip:

caseofchill
02-07-2007, 06:20 AM
If the weapon is bothering you, why not combine a couple of your silhouettes, like 2 and 4 to come up with something functional but unique? Just throwing out ideas. Keep up the good work.

stix
02-07-2007, 08:33 AM
out of the silhouettes 3,4 and 7 are definitely the strongest, i like the idea of a small weapon for mobilities sake, but that does not mean you can't do a pole arm of some kind, maybe if it were exstendible for instants so it can be carried in a smaller form. Perhaps a giant shouriken that folds out could be cool. I also like the way in the original concept it look like her arm has actually morthed into the weapon itself. I think the idea of her being able to morph her body into a or various weapons would be interesting and inkeeping with a being who can travel time and space.

InfidelAppel
02-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Fantastic concept; the design is amazing and fits the brif very well...I also cannot wait to see how it translates to 3D, since it should look awesome.

As for the weapons, I think a dagger/shortsword approach would be good - of those silhouettes I like 7 the most, and 10; I say use them both. Dual wield FTW!

rasmusW
02-07-2007, 10:39 AM
hey marcel!

great concepts.
what about using the shaft from no.2 and a reversed blade from no.3.? think that would look cool.

good luck.

-r

tastatura
02-07-2007, 11:11 AM
interesting comic style mate :)
for a spear the best props for spear No. 3
about the 1handed the No7 i think its nice oriental sharp blade

Yung
02-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Spear 3 seconded! So is dagger 4. Nice concept piece. Can't wait till more progress shown.

arshlevon
02-07-2007, 04:13 PM
i think this one is my favorite so far..

really nice stuff.

System404
02-07-2007, 06:57 PM
hey guys thanks for the feedback! i'm definetly going with the dagger weapon and duel wielding sounds awesome. I'm thinking of doing two designs(cause i don't want to be accussed of being lazy.) I'll post my weapons concept tonight.

Quickel
02-08-2007, 12:02 AM
looking awesome so far - either your quick or we're slow. :) i think #7 dagger fits the streamlined look of the rest of your character.

adamlane
02-08-2007, 01:06 AM
nice one man, cant wait to see some ortho views

ScudzAlmighty
02-08-2007, 01:24 AM
wow man, even the background is awesome, good job

System404
02-08-2007, 04:58 AM
Here's what i'm thinking with the weapons. I wanted both of them to look differently visually so they could've serve diferent purposes, one to cut through time and space, and the other to cut through enemy combatants. At the same time I tried to keep them looking similar so they could fit a set. In the end I choose version 6 and 10. It's funny that almost everyone liked 7 and that was the one that I was going to choose but it looked to similar to 10 and I wanted to keep them very different from each other. But don't be surprised if I further define the look once I begin modeling.

http://system404.net/images/websketch_weapons.jpg

System404
02-08-2007, 05:10 AM
Here's something else, I was looking for female ref and found this Angelina Jolie photo of her in a couch and thought that would make a great picture. But after a couple of hours I lost some steam with it and gave up on it. Anyways It gives another angle on the character (especially the head) and it helps in further understanding some of the 3d aspects of her design. It also help in highlighting problem areas in the design that's going to need revision(like the boot/foot bracer thingy)
Like the weapons I'll futher tweak it once I start modeling.
http://system404.net/images/websketch01.jpg

kinkypuss
02-08-2007, 10:36 AM
hehe so your shadow also does photo shoots.. :p cool..
looking nice so far, like your concept.. the armor looks sweet..
looking forward to the poly flows..

Yung
02-08-2007, 10:40 AM
I dunno. Honestly I find the pose a little weird, lacks the dynamism of the first pic. But at least you are(way) better then me, keep posting. Gogo comrade!

TheMagnetic
02-08-2007, 11:53 AM
phwew this is pretty. nice work!

avengerninja
02-08-2007, 12:25 PM
this is one of my faves, apart from rawkstar's, sandman, mvelasq... hmm i should know where my loyalty stands :-D we rule! lol
oh well, i'm new to this.. but really your concept's really cool! :) good luck!

avengerninja
02-08-2007, 12:27 PM
oh wow! i didn't see that last pose til i went back to the thread!
loving the stealth design!

digiAPE
02-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Awesome. Nice clean, sleek design. I cant wait to see the model.

madshooter
02-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Hey Dude very nice concepts:thumbsup: I like the First one, has a very dynamic pose.
All the best:thumbsup:

System404
02-09-2007, 03:57 AM
Wow I'm inpressed by the number of participants that cgtalk has competing in this Dominance war, had to look for my entry in the fourth page:D.

I wasn't feeling so good today but I managed to get the model started. I'm doing the high poly and then I'll do the low cage after that. Still not sure If I want to take it into mudbox or just do it all straight in max, I've been wanting to do a full high poly model without using z brush or mudbox. well see how I feel about it tomorrow

http://system404.net/images/dom_web_01.jpg

Still tweaking it, need to change some of the shapes(i'm still debating wether to keep the wings on the helmet back like I have it here or making them more angled like the second concept I did of her...)

Crits and comments are always welcomed!

stabbington
02-09-2007, 06:20 AM
sharp work sir!

imho the wings look a tiny bit more like ears than they appeared in either concept. not necessarily a bad thing, but i think that angling them out like the second concept's version would further reinforce that. still, early days : )

keep at it, the modelling looks just as good as the concepts so far!

Kerepres
02-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Can't wait to see this finished.
Lovely!

Redgrail
02-09-2007, 07:59 AM
I like the wings in the first concept IMHO, the second one looks more like cats ears to me. It looks good none the less, keep at it man.

System404
02-09-2007, 02:51 PM
imho the wings look a tiny bit more like ears than they appeared in either concept...i think that angling them out like the second concept's version would further reinforce that.

bonzepeet- Do you mean that angling them out would reinforce the "ears" look or the "wing" look? Cause they look like ears to me too and that's definetly one of the things I want to avoid.

all comments and critiques welcomed!!!

Imagus
02-09-2007, 03:13 PM
bonzepeet- Do you mean that angling them out would reinforce the "ears" look or the "wing" look? Cause they look like ears to me too and that's definetly one of the things I want to avoid.Regarding the "wings/ears" issue, the model, when compared to the concept, has softer curves and a general form that resembles a folded animal's ear, which is most likely why it's reading as "ears". I'd say that, to minimize the effect and have them read more like armor, you'd want them to be a bit more angular. One really specific detail I noticed is the slight upturn right at the end of the item - didn't pick up on it so much in the concept sketch.

The other issue is, of course, the fact that the model doesn't have textures to indicate material. With this in place, it may very well make the difference.

Hope this helps, and keep up the good work... the model is looking great! :)

BrettSinclair
02-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Hey man. looking really cool. Keep up the good work.

chow

MasterV12
02-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Looking good yo! How bout some Wireframes?

djolar
02-09-2007, 05:11 PM
I like weapon number 2. Im going for a long, curved handled weapon for my entry. I envision it being versatile as a one handed weapon held towards the center of the weapon with a long enough handle to grab it with 2 hands for some extra umph.

stabbington
02-09-2007, 09:31 PM
heh, sorry. that's my early morning brain rot for you : )

imho having them angle out makes them more like ears, keeping the angle tight into the head will look more like wings.... still, looking at some refs the wings on norse/valkyrie helms seem to stick out at a fairly wide variance of angles. i suppose the defining factor for that is that they have the actual feathers there to help sell it.

i agree with imagus too, an angular look should help get away from any potential rabbit ear look.

look forward to updates, as per usual!

EvilBlah
02-09-2007, 10:39 PM
This is looking saweet! Keep it up! I really like the design of the weapon! Head is spot on as well! There are two things that throw me off slightly though.

First, the nostrils look a little bit big... Not too big but just a little... Might just be me though...
Second, I think the wing on the back of the head should be more like the second concept... I enjoy that shape better...

Anyway, that's my two cents. Good work so far and keep it going!!
-bair

djolar
02-09-2007, 10:56 PM
I like weapon number 2. My concept has a weapon with an elongated curved handle on it for use as a one and two handed weapon.

foche
02-10-2007, 03:26 AM
Awesome shapes!
congrats!

dpizzle
02-10-2007, 06:25 AM
very nice...

keep it up
:thumbsup:

tastatura
02-10-2007, 10:01 AM
I agree with bonzepeet on the wing explanation and i think you should'n worry to much about them it will be better once you put materials and textures on it, btw they don;t look like ears, but if you prethink that they look like ears you will trick your self thinking that they are ears so just keep up mate :thumbsup:

System404
02-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Well thanks for the comments and crititques guys. As far as the wings/rabbit ears I think once I put in more detail and make it a little less soft it should help out in trying to sell it as wings, like many of you suggested. I am going of two ref pictures of winged helmet that are completly diffrent from each other, so I just have to find a happy medium.

bonzepeet-- yeah thanks for the clarification. I'm playing around with different angles and seeing wich one works for me. Like you have already observed there are variations on the winged helmet look so I'm just going to not stress it too much and go with something that I'm happy with.

EvilBlah-- thanks for pointing that out! I was also considering softening up the nostril a bit cause right now it looks as if she picks her nose she might slice her finger on the edge of her nostril:eek:

tastatura-- I agree with you I shouldn't think too much on the subject, I'm just going to move on with the rest of the detailing.

Thanks again for the comments and critiques, keep em coming.

System404
02-11-2007, 06:51 AM
Here's what I got so far. Let me know what you guys think!

http://system404.net/images/dom_web_02.jpg

stabbington
02-11-2007, 07:17 AM
looking great! the detailing is absurd, i can't begin to imagine what your polyflow looks like : )

only crits from me are that the breasts look a little off, like they lack gravity in some way and perhaps the arms are a little on the thin side?

top stuff though, my cap is doffed ; )

System404
02-11-2007, 07:40 AM
Yeah the arms right know are just extruded edges with very little detailing, and i didn't bother with the breasts either cause the whole chest needs to be done like the concept. But thanks for the critiques!!

Redgrail
02-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Wow thats looking sweet man, the helmet looks spot on. Gee i have to finish my concept and catch up lol :thumbsup:

stabbington
02-11-2007, 09:21 AM
hehe, sorry! should probably wait until you're further on with things before i start leaping in like that :D

keep up the great work!

MasterV12
02-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Wireframes????? i want to see how your polygon flow is going. please!

Robert-Fletcher
02-12-2007, 09:06 PM
looking good. im loving the helmet. her arms look a tad skinny tho

dpizzle
02-12-2007, 10:05 PM
looking good dude, can we get a wire?

System404
02-13-2007, 05:08 AM
ok not much of an update but here's the wires, and a mental ray render(a little more light bloom and it should be ready for next-gen:scream:)

http://system404.net/images/dom_web_03.jpg

ColdKodiak
02-13-2007, 12:32 PM
awsome!
Really effecient face model.

windigo
02-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Your design is great! Definitely one of my favorites, keep it up! :D

XeroWolf
02-24-2007, 07:59 PM
I've been through through a lot of character designs for this competition and a lot of them were very impressive but I must say that this one really rockz my sockz.:buttrock:
Your (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=219&t=460224&page=1) Valkyrie fits the theme a glove.

Great progress you made model but have you decided on what the final weapon will be or are you going to stick with the one in the concept?

Anyway good luck dude.:thumbsup:

System404
02-26-2007, 04:47 AM
ok just posting a small update. I kinda fell a little behind on this, but i'm determined to get this thing done before the due date.

Like always commnets and critiques are welcomed !!

http://system404.net/images/dom_web_04.jpg

Airflow
02-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Looking good mate, I like the feet. Definatly the most unique looking entry I have seen off the Dominance Wars...

DropKickMcKenney
02-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Beautiful style. Great concept and the model has nice detail already. Can't wait to see more.

erik_j
03-04-2007, 12:58 PM
I would raise the jawline a bit making it more like in the concept.. and that shoe looks very symetrical but might be the angle.. hope it turns out as great as the concept! GL!

Yung
03-15-2007, 02:49 AM
Where's the updates? You are our vanguard, Valkyrie. We need you to cut open a path through the first wave!

Hehe, anyway the top part of boot/shoe is nice, but the bottom made it looks like sneakers.....which might not be a bad thing, but might detract its coolness/ancient feel of the whole design. Time is running out!

AndrewBina
03-17-2007, 06:35 AM
Awesome concept and great modeling. I want to see more.:)

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2007, 06:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.