PDA

View Full Version : Dominance War II: Squibbit

Squibbit
02-05-2007, 11:31 PM
hello. i make sumthin nice n simple. with teeth.

got a sketch on the works, will post tomorrow

---

edit: putting the latest image here:

http://www.saunalahti.fi/panuom/DWII_BeautyShot_2.jpg

coCoKNIght
02-05-2007, 11:47 PM
hehehe, look who came out of his hole :) good luck to you too friend!

TheFirstAngel
02-06-2007, 08:18 PM
make em suffer lord squib. brrrring on those 6k polys of destruction ^^ go go go mate, best of luck and have fun ^^

Squibbit
02-06-2007, 10:09 PM
thanks, dudes, okay, here we go..

no idea how i'm gonna model this

http://www.saunalahti.fi/panuom/Ancients_Concept_05.jpg

stabbington
02-06-2007, 10:13 PM
ooh boy! that's an awesome concept, love it!

i'm not 100% sold on the little blue glowy mouth/hand areas, don't quite seem to fit in with the shape and flow of the rest of it but everything else is top work!

Squibbit
02-06-2007, 10:23 PM
i'm not 100% sold on the little blue glowy mouth/hand areas, don't quite seem to fit in with the shape and flow of the rest of it but everything else is top work!

thanks, yea the blue things been a big problem, so far they been spirits in torn clothes,
knives in hand, flowers, lips, hands with eyes in the palms, pigs with diapers, syringes,
glowing globes.. uh butterfliez.. many things.. in the end i ran outa time for today so
that's how they look like now :)

Imagus
02-06-2007, 10:25 PM
i'm not 100% sold on the little blue glowy mouth/hand areas, don't quite seem to fit in with the shape and flow of the rest of it but everything else is top work!If I'm reading the concept sketch correctly (and I very well may not be... :p) It looks as though the mouth/hand areas are being emitted from the blue glowing area under the creature's wings. This would be the reason that they don't "flow" with the rest of the character... they are emissions from the character rather than integrated body parts.

Nice concept sketch, and it will be interesting to see how you handle the modeling. :)

TheFirstAngel
02-07-2007, 12:10 AM
kick ass concept - expected no lesser^^ *makes goin' to overthink my tiny gurly again*. lol, this one looks badass. rock on! :beer::wip::buttrock:

coCoKNIght
02-07-2007, 12:14 AM
holy crap! ok that's it! let's go home folks, we have a winner. lol :scream:

but seriously, that creature's just awesome and makes me want to run away :buttrock:

edit: ahaha, you can't win :) your model has to stand on a pedestal which it can't without feet, lol :scream:

terraarc
02-07-2007, 12:29 AM
Scary concept from any aspect! :D Quite challenging and winning character that is! I'd suggest adding a mouth would make this guy a horror movie's special guest!
"Who dared awaken me!!RRRaaarrr!!!"

redmonkey
02-07-2007, 01:07 AM
frick yah...now we talkin boy.....CGTALK FTW.

awesome. i dont know how, but you gotta do that!

caseofchill
02-07-2007, 01:28 AM
Interesting concept. What do you have in mind for (additional) weapons? Will it have any armor? Good luck with it.

monsitj
02-07-2007, 03:51 AM
wow! very cool ancient creature dude! I expect a lot more concept design from you ! hehehe! kill them all comrade!:thumbsup:

System404
02-07-2007, 03:54 AM
That is one kickass concept. I'm really looking forward to this!

Squibbit
02-07-2007, 06:32 AM
much thanks, peoples

If I'm reading the concept sketch correctly , it looks as though the mouth/hand areas are being emitted from the blue glowing area under the creature's wings. This would be the reason that they don't "flow" with the rest of the character... they are emissions from the character rather than integrated body parts.

yep, dat's exactly it :)

What do you have in mind for (additional) weapons? Will it have any armor? Good luck with it.

yea was thinking about armor plating the back and the head. Had him holding a spear
at one point , but decided against it at another point :)

will post some sketches on possible armor designs and stuff later on..

Squibbit
02-07-2007, 09:31 PM
bah, I was gonna do some armor design and stuff but instead spend the whole evening
doing this closeup. Armor designs next pic :P

http://www.saunalahti.fi/panuom/Ancients_Concept_06.jpg

terraarc
02-07-2007, 09:46 PM
WHOOAAAHH! The middle finger position is symbolic? Hehe
Great close up...

flyingP
02-07-2007, 10:26 PM
does not look like Paul Young to me

...well a bit

:D

DimitrisLiatsos
02-07-2007, 10:40 PM

...well a bit

:scream:...oh my God ...we ARE going to have a lot of fun with this war.

OINK!

Imagus
02-07-2007, 11:05 PM
bah, I was gonna do some armor design and stuff but instead spend the whole evening
doing this closeup. Armor designs next pic :P

Incredibly Cool Picture
Stop making me want to try out new 2D techniques!!! :D

Awesome close-up, Squib... need it even be said?

Yeah, it need be. :thumbsup: Keep up the great work!

stabbington
02-07-2007, 11:23 PM
purty :)

but scary!

good work, as per!

Squibbit
02-07-2007, 11:39 PM

...well a bit

bit of an overkill dat,

only hit them with Paul Young if they seem like
having a chance to win.

Besides, you'd be the only one to be able or
willing to model it anyways :p

Cyborgguineapig
02-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Hey Squibbit I've always liked seeing your work in the CGsociety memeber forums. Like where you are going with this and think the glowy bits will look cool. My only suggestion would be to play with the head a little more because as it is it reminds me a lot of this creature from Blizzard's Starcrafthttp://star2000.online.fr/Galerie/Hydra.jpg. Maybe some interesting armor, leather straps etc.. would help make your creation stand apart from the serpentine, elongated head alien look that is fairly common.

Quickel
02-08-2007, 01:06 AM
i'd keep the glowy parts - whether it's a subdermal thing going on or light, i think you could definitely make it work well. great concepts! :thumbsup:

ScudzAlmighty
02-08-2007, 02:45 AM
i actually wouldn't mind seeing a version without the arms at all, but regardless, if i end up losing this comp it better be to you

Squibbit
02-08-2007, 07:02 AM
Hey Squibbit I've always liked seeing your work in the CGsociety memeber forums. Like where you are going with this and think the glowy bits will look cool. My only suggestion would be to play with the head a little more because as it is it reminds me a lot of this creature from Blizzard's Starcrafthttp://star2000.online.fr/Galerie/Hydra.jpg. Maybe some interesting armor, leather straps etc.. would help make your creation stand apart from the serpentine, elongated head alien look that is fairly common.

ah de Zerg; yea I tried to make it different than other more common designs with
the uneven rows of teeth and lack of eyes, but yea, will work on it more, maybe
even make an armless version, too, that's how I drew it in the first place anyhow :)

thanks for comments, people, much appreciated :thumbsup:

kinkypuss
02-08-2007, 11:56 AM
this is looking really sweeeet.. :D
if you wanting to change it to make so it doesn't resemble the hydralisk.. maybe you could add some glow-like effect on or near his head.. or even from his head to run back his neck towards his back..
but am liking the way it is now and doesn't really remind me of the hydralisk anyway and i used to play zergs alot..

looking forward to seeing more..

Fahrija
02-08-2007, 12:04 PM
great start Squib!

cool looking creature and very nice sketch style. Didnīt see anything from you for a while...but maybe Iīm just visting the wrong threads. haha.

f.

coCoKNIght
02-08-2007, 12:49 PM
the link with the zerg I did with your first pic, but only because the 'burrow'-sound would fit perfectly to the pic :D the creature's shape resembles more h.r. giger creations imo.
but i wouldn't worry about that... just go on, do your thing

Robert-Fletcher
02-08-2007, 01:15 PM
wow :D. this is very nice indeed. Personally i dont like the mouth, i think it looks scarier and a lot more "unknown" when it didnt have one. it made it less familiar and scarier. Now the mouth included, my brain is saying "oh look and H.R Giger alien", rather than OMFG what the f**ks that. I wouldnt add anything to conventional to it either. a suit of armor or anything too human would kill its feel. thats my 2cents newho. I cant wait to see how this one pans out XD

JacquesPena
02-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Woah. Awesome creature indeed. Think the armor idea on it would be awesome(especially the head part), just the design is what I'm curious to see. I would have to say something a bit decorative with imperfections? Its awesome dude. Good drawing skills btw.

Airflow
02-08-2007, 08:39 PM
I like the angel motif, its similar to what Im working towards, but yours is more primordial. Cool stuff, will it have weapons or not?

Art2
02-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Squib, very nice creature mate. Small bit I like the least is it's head and mouth. I don't know, you could make it a bit more sophisticated maybe, and not that straight forward.
Curious how it will look in armour.

eMysfit
02-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Looks awesome. I actually kinda like the blue things coming out of the blue glow. It'd be cool if they weren't actually connected to him. Like make him be without them, but he is able to secrete them out of the glowy blue area of his biological make up and they become mentally controlled little pets that fly around doing what he wants.

I like the main thing's design as is though. I wouldn't change it. He reminds me of warhammer 40k's necron wraiths alot more than a zerg though.

Squibbit
02-10-2007, 01:20 AM
how's this? went back to the original design, removed the arms (for now at least) and
put some armor on...

http://www.saunalahti.fi/panuom/Ancients_Concept_13_A.jpg

http://www.saunalahti.fi/panuom/Ancients_Concept_13_B.jpg

Airflow
02-10-2007, 01:31 AM
thats real cool, looks menacing enough.
Can the armour be more substantial and more aincient?

Jeff Dux
02-10-2007, 01:32 AM
looks mean as hell.
it also has this "shadow" feeling to it....
the armor plates work well and add a lot to the overall look.
good work!
Cheers
JDX

Cyborgguineapig
02-10-2007, 02:16 AM
Armor looks great! You can get that ancient feel even more if you inscribe some patterns into the armor.

caseofchill
02-10-2007, 02:28 AM
Shaping up rather nicely. I like how the armour looks, but I would make it a little darker. Looking forward to updates.

Squibbit
02-10-2007, 06:24 PM
You can get that ancient feel even more if you inscribe some patterns into the armor.

thinkin like me, it's in the plans :thumbsup:

I like how the armour looks, but I would make it a little darker

already in the plans too, this is just to get a quick first look at the armor , shaping it up,
as you said :)

thanks for comments, all

mikebot
02-10-2007, 10:50 PM
aweseome concepts so far! something still bothers me a little about the neck though - the straightness of it seems to fight a little with the rest of the design - maybe more pronounced ridges in the the armor on the top of the neck, or spikes?

edit: Actually, I like the overall look of the first concept minus the blue things the best, as far as his general look & proportions.

iworkat
02-10-2007, 11:22 PM
You might want to put the blue glow stuff coming from some sort of sack/membrane, and have the wings connect in front of the membrane sack? I dunno... May or moay not work...

Good concepts though...

TimAppleby
02-11-2007, 02:34 AM
this is looking cool!

nikudy
02-11-2007, 03:12 AM
i like the first concept too. it's more sinister and enigmatic. you could add sode sick stuff by making the skin transparent so you can see some internal organs.

also iworkat's idea for the glowing part seems good.

-Claudiu

fx81
02-11-2007, 07:53 PM
i like those illustrations a lot. great painting skill :thumbsup:

my crit is that, so far the design looks like its a creature rather than a character. its lacking that individual character element. am i making sense? anyways good work :)

Squibbit
02-11-2007, 09:11 PM
-mjolnir , good points on the proportions and anatomy

-thanks for suggestion, iworkat

-Appleby, nice work on your DW I critter too :thumbsup:

-okay, will think about it nikudy

-yeap, mashru , makes sense, thanks for comments :)

will get back to this tomorrow i hope

Robert-Fletcher
02-11-2007, 11:14 PM
i eat my words. that armor works really well. im not sure about the white but the contrast really brings it to life. i like the slight detailing, it makes it look a little like a carapace

Squibbit
02-12-2007, 08:14 PM
ARgh, wacom hand burrningg..

still didn't get to update the armor..inspirations.. :P

http://www.saunalahti.fi/panuom/Ancients_Concept_18.jpg

coCoKNIght
02-12-2007, 10:00 PM
nice, now it's a misc between giger, zerg and protoss and... eel? :scream:
I like the new head a lot, and am wondering how this will look like with the armor. I also liked the hands a lot though, so hope you'll eventually re-add them :) :wip:

Robert-Fletcher
02-12-2007, 10:10 PM
nice update the head looks excelent

Squibbit
02-13-2007, 08:49 PM
armor update

http://www.saunalahti.fi/panuom/Ancients_Concept_20.jpg

Airflow
02-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Wow, thats damn beautiful...
My only crit is that the spine looks a bit bare, maybey some attached muscles or some plating, besides that its perfect....

ChrRambow
02-13-2007, 10:06 PM
I prefere this version ... especially the red part in the mouth area.
This provide a perfect contrast and shape at the head.

Go on ... i love your concept ... good to be on your side. :D

ARgh, wacom hand burrningg..

still didn't get to update the armor..inspirations.. :P

http://www.saunalahti.fi/panuom/Ancients_Concept_18.jpg

coCoKNIght
02-13-2007, 10:38 PM
uuuuuuuu baby! now we're talking! nice armoe look and I like those new 'hands' :)

Cyborgguineapig
02-14-2007, 05:36 AM
The new armor concept is looking way good.

RhyderKey
02-14-2007, 02:39 PM
I will keen an eye on thid thread

Obumbrata
02-15-2007, 07:05 PM
That look like an agressive lil'monsta you got there! Its awsome!

My only sugestion would be some ornements on the armor to get that Ancient, Mythical feeling to it.

Again great work and good luck on the 3D! :D

MrEric
02-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Thats one orginal design :) it catch the eye :)

MasonDoran
02-16-2007, 09:15 AM
i have to agree with the originality of this design...a cross between a cobra and Gigers Alien.....if you push further in that direction as far as source material for texturing this could get really interesting

kmest
02-16-2007, 09:50 PM
hey its great....the first is awesome IMO and the recent one in the armoar is realy good........i'm sure i dont like to get face to face with something like this....hehe

and the colors...i think the blue thing is doing just fine....
keep rockin man....kill em..kill em alllllll

Squibbit
02-19-2007, 07:50 PM
after hearing some constructive criticism " *cough*moose!*cough* " from both
peoples at work and a certain world reknown freelance artist "goblin?" , i repainted
the armor shoulder part that happened to look like a big eye to those twisted minds...
ah, pfffttt, dat pic will never look the same to me againn..

tryin to come up with a decent update sometime this week

Airflow
02-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Hrhe, good choice, I just saw what you mean, it kinda makes it all look like a camel with a small neck.... Still, brilliant work mind you......

Miyagu
02-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Aww nightowl! Update update! Yay!

brik
02-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Yea! can't wait to see some 3d..great profile!!

Squibbit
02-20-2007, 08:16 PM
well okay i sucks at modeling, this is what i got so far, no guarantees it gonna get better
from here on.. :P thought this critter, my deathwing, could summon cruise missiles after
they been launched by a ship somewhere , the wings of the shadow creature would act as
a dimensional portal for the missiles to emerge from.

http://www.saunalahti.fi/panuom/Ancients_Modeling_01.jpg

fx81
02-20-2007, 08:32 PM
wow :eek:

hmm, missiles. its pretty original idea but i am really not sure how it will be technically possible to make it work in a game. it looks good from an illustration stand point.

Klash120
02-20-2007, 08:57 PM
I think it'll work fine in a game now-a-days.
Take "Prey" & that "Portals" (half life thing?)game. Making portals & stuff emerging from another point in space is do-able ;p

nikudy
02-20-2007, 11:15 PM
imo the missiles don't go that well with the creature. the creature it's so out of this world and the missiles are so contemporary . Maybe some energy projectiles would fit better.

-claudiu

Squibbit
02-21-2007, 12:10 AM
imo the missiles don't go that well with the creature. the creature it's so out of this world and the missiles are so contemporary . Maybe some energy projectiles would fit better.

-claudiu

pfft, Han Solo carried a rigged Mauser :P

Squibbit
02-21-2007, 11:28 AM
i am really not sure how it will be technically possible to make it work in a game. it looks good from an illustration stand point.

:P okay i did just think of it from an illustration point of view.

so, hmm, well it's like this then: the creature has the potential of gating
in those missiles and one has to fight the shadow so it doesn't get the
chance of actually doing it :)

now i gotta invent some other weapons for the creature to do some lesser
scale battling with...

thanks for comments :thumbsup:

Miyagu
02-21-2007, 01:16 PM
love the idea of "portal wings".. model looks great..
maybe have a fleet of mini monsters instead of the contemporary-looking missiles?
and i agree: energy projectiles would be cool too..

*grabs some popcorn*

Klash120
02-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Why noy something like from Gears of War, those kamikaze-flying-alien thing :p

jramauri
02-21-2007, 02:50 PM
It looks pretty cool man. Even if you are not good at modeling, I'm sure you'll get a great result, as you are an excelente painter, and your textures will rock. keep going.

monkeybeach
02-21-2007, 06:33 PM
I think the cruise missiles are a great idea. I like the blend between the totally alien and the ordinary, and the organic and mechanical stuff. And it's about as over-the-top as you can get as far as weapons go, and that's great :) The only reason I can think of to NOT stick with the missiles is that they might b e percieved as a little comical, or less-than-serious, but imo that's not a bad thing.

However, those missiles don't look anywhere near evil enough.

Squibbit
02-21-2007, 10:07 PM
*grabs some popcorn*

thanks, those were mine. Yea already thought about minimonsters, but haven't
come up with a design for them :/

Why noy something like from Gears of War, those kamikaze-flying-alien thing :p

way too cool, man :)

- - -

jramauri, thanks dude

- - -

I like the blend between the totally alien and the ordinary,
And it's about as over-the-top as you can get as far as weapons go
However, those missiles don't look anywhere near evil enough.

yea i felt something sinister there too ~"hey, those look like ours...".
Really made my mind race, thinking of story around the creature :)

I also thought about how the missiles look, i'd either make them exactly
as they look nowadays, or alternatively I have this another , darker look
for them I will show later on.

---

thanks for dropping by, peoples

Airflow
02-21-2007, 10:36 PM
I like the missiles, it puts the creature in a more realistic setting, Its just that they would have to be missiles from the future, not 1980's ones... Nice modeling btw.

Squibbit
02-23-2007, 07:51 PM
ground (pedestal) update

http://www.saunalahti.fi/panuom/Ancients_Modeling_03.jpg

i also thought i might make the creature more ghost-like..

http://www.saunalahti.fi/panuom/Ancients_Modeling_04.jpg

Art2
02-24-2007, 08:33 AM
Oh yeah, making it ghost like is a cool idea. Would look great with solid armour.
Nice pedestal you got there too. Idea: maybe check some designs of the opposition and derive some skull designs from them, ... mhuhahahah...

flyingP
02-24-2007, 08:37 AM
OMG Squib......surprising myself but I actually like it :D

nah seriously cool job and have to admit found the missile idead kinda funky :cool:.

Squibbit
03-25-2007, 05:45 AM
pfft, not much time for challenge really, this gonna be one crappy entry,
no riggin or nuthin, just one plain diffuse map if nuthin miraculous happens..
gave up on designing a fancy weapon so the critter has a shotgun :P

think i'm gonna make one more update after this, with slightly tweaked pose , but
otherwise prettymuch the same

fun challenge tho, i wish i coulda made sumthin better for it :)

http://www.saunalahti.fi/panuom/Ancient_Modeling_05.jpg

flyingP
03-25-2007, 09:15 AM
what are you complaining about? it looks good :)

monsitj
03-25-2007, 09:30 AM
very nice ! but I think cgs logo is a bit too obvious , maybe you can desaturate it or something! great work!

Art2
03-25-2007, 11:26 AM
but I think cgs logo is a bit too obvious

Yeah, first thing that came cross my mind too..

But damn Squib, very nice work buddy!

Squibbit
03-25-2007, 03:17 PM
what are you complaining about? it looks good :)

u dunno where i aim dude :)

---

yea the logo n stuff, will fix it for te final update,
thanks for dropping by dudes :thumbsup:

flyingP
03-25-2007, 04:13 PM
u dunno where i aim dude :)

I have bets on your feet :)

kmest
03-25-2007, 04:54 PM
hey it looks great,,,,,with more update...well...it could be more awesome.....
nice to see ya still fighting......

rollin
03-25-2007, 08:26 PM
this turned out realy realy cool

but i donīt like the "smoke" at the image borders :p

Squibbit
03-25-2007, 09:20 PM
I have bets on your feet :)

thanks!

this turned out realy realy cool

but i donīt like the "smoke" at the image borders :p

yea temp crap, sorry bout dat :P

Squibbit
03-26-2007, 03:08 AM
posted these already for the judges, thought i might a well post these here

http://www.saunalahti.fi/panuom/DWII_Shadow_Concept.jpg

http://www.saunalahti.fi/panuom/DWII_TextureSheet.jpg

http://www.saunalahti.fi/panuom/DWII_ConstructionShot.jpg

http://www.saunalahti.fi/panuom/DWII_BeautyShot_2.jpg

and the final image

http://www.saunalahti.fi/panuom/DWII_Final_Image.jpg

thanks for interest, was a fun challenge :)

laters

kmest
03-26-2007, 10:25 AM
congrats on finishing the piece....Hope you could put more time on it,normals,glows,difuse,...

it looks great with only color dude,,,good luck on voting...

wish i could join too

TeroM
03-29-2007, 08:00 AM
Cool looking beastie! Nice work! I especially love the concept designs :buttrock:

thinsoldier
04-01-2007, 10:22 PM
I think you should have dropped the 'portal wing' idea and just had those tentacle jellyfish weapons from one of the earlier concepts be its main weapon.

Squibbit
04-02-2007, 08:58 PM
I think you should have dropped the 'portal wing' idea and just had those tentacle jellyfish weapons from one of the earlier concepts be its main weapon.

duh- NOW you're telling me :P

yea ended up finishing it so fast i didn't have much time for actual thinking, better
luck next time :)

lauranonce
04-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Hi dude! I've seen only now this thread :sad:
I really enjoyed your concepts and the model :bounce: :bounce: .. those kind of blue jelly tentacles should be interesting to model, will you do that?

CGTalk Moderation
04-19-2007, 12:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.