PDA

View Full Version : *.XSI file contains more Texture Coordinates than Points...Help!?

pdq
02-05-2007, 10:14 PM
I have a model that has 2670 points. I export the model to *.xsi ascii file.

In the file under the "TEX_COORD_UV0" node it shows 13347 coordinates. Should this not be 2670.

I posted a similar problem in the thread under DirectX export and "Export Textures" thread.

Basically I need to somehow weld these tex coordinates down to 2670 points. Because the end result exporting to *.xsi or *.X is a LARGER then necessary file.

Any ideas? Please also see my other post.

Thanks.

Per-Anders
02-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Don't forget that when dealing with UV's they're not teh same as your polygons, in many apps UV polygons do not share points like geometry polygons do. So for instance a cube would have only 8 points, but it has as many points as each UV polygon has in UV space, so that's 24 points (i.e. each quad has four points). This is quite normal, and required otherwise UV's wouldn't be able to be split off from one another along edges that are in fact not split in the geometry to create a good uv map.

pdq
02-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Thanks for responding.

Ultimate Unwrap3D welds the vertices down to 2670. In fact, if I export this as an *.X file it shows 2670 coordinates in the "MeshTextureCoords" node not 13347.

If export the model to *.X file using XSI it exports 13347 vertices, and 13347 tex coords. But, again I can import into UU3D weld all the vertices down to 2670 and export to an *.X file that is alot smaller in size. Why cant I do this in XSI?

pdq
02-06-2007, 08:12 PM
I found a solution, but you need Ultimate Unwrap3D.

1) Export the model from XSI as either *.X or *.xsi format.
2) Import the model into UU3D.
3) Weld the model.
4) Now you can export the model as *.X or anything else.

You will notice that if you originally exported your model as *.X using XSI, the file size
is a lot LARGER than when you weld and export the model as *.X using UU3D. The rendering performance in Dark Basic jumped from 192 fps to 595 fps.

You'll need the latest version of UU3D as well as the *.xsi and *.X plugins.

I guess I dont see why this cant be done in XSI.

I like to thank Brad from Bolthouse software, creator of Ultimate Unwrap3D for a great piece of software.

CGTalk Moderation
02-06-2007, 08:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.