PDA

View Full Version : Dominance War II: coCoKNIght

coCoKNIght
02-05-2007, 10:12 PM
latest image:
http://www.fabianhernandez.ch/dw/DWlatest.jpg
-----

Ok, I'm in!

The heavy workload period's finally come to an end so I've got some time to do something for my portfolio.

I'm kinda new to gameart and am a bit confused about how or if we're suposed to shade/light our characters...
Also, does 6k polys mean 3k quads? I'd say so, but then that would be a whole lot...

Weeeeell anyway, it's concept time and I'm at it as I write... :curious: ...or so...

Good hunting everyone!

Imagus
02-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Ok, I'm in!

The heavy workload period's finally come to an end so I've got some time to do something for my portfolio.

I'm kinda new to gameart and am a bit confused about how or if we're suposed to shade/light our characters...Model and texture your character, following the polygon guideline, then pose them on a stand for final entry. Check out the official site for all specifications.

Also, does 6k polys mean 3k quads? I'd say so, but then that would be a whole lot...6k tris means... 6k tris. There should be an option to triangulate your model. If you do so, and you have less than 6k polygons, you're all set. If you had exactly 3k quad polygons and triangulated them, then you would, in fact, have 6k tris. Chances are, however, you will need to use tris in your modeling, so remember to triangulate, check, then undo from time to time.

Welcome to the fold, and good luck! :thumbsup:

Squibbit
02-05-2007, 10:38 PM
have fun dude

stabbington
02-05-2007, 10:51 PM
look forward to seeing what you come up with! best of luck ; )

coCoKNIght
02-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Model and texture your character, following the polygon guideline, then pose them on a stand for final entry. Check out the official site for all specifications.

I have of course checked out the official site, and you haven't answered my question.

If you had exactly 3k quad polygons and triangulated them, then you would, in fact, have 6k tris.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I was only unsure because the last time I peeked into a game art competition I didn't understand how they ended up using so much polys in their objects... so I thaught triangulating maybe does more than just make tris out of all faces.

Thanks for the warm welcome Imagus, Squibbit and bonzepeet :beer:

Swizzle
02-05-2007, 11:06 PM
I have of course checked out the official site, and you haven't answered my question.As far as lighting goes, I'm pretty sure you can do just about anything. Most current-gen games are capable of pretty advanced lighting, and you're definitely going to want to show off your model as best you can.

coCoKNIght
02-05-2007, 11:44 PM
http://www.fabianhernandez.ch/dw/DWdoodle1.jpg

some doodles, they still let a lot of room for the imagination :)

1 is the humanesque armored honor kind of alien
2 is the bulletproof berserk kind of alien - his body's out of an unknown material, he doesn't need any armor or cloth. Has lots of spikes on his back.
3 is the big longlimbed kind of alien :) - I imagine him very calm or detatched. Maybe a keyboard and displays would fit him well :)
4 is a weapon to acompany my character. small agile flying weapon and shield in one. Hope that's allowed but don't see why not... Allows for the character to do something else with the hands, instead of holding a gun.

2 and 3 could maybe be combined: 2 with similar legs like 3?

Thanks for the info Swizzle!

More doodles to come...

jlnsatome
02-06-2007, 01:17 PM
looks pretty interesting so far.

coCoKNIght
02-06-2007, 01:18 PM
http://www.fabianhernandez.ch/dw/DWdoodle2.jpg

And now for a human concept:
She has a dual screen on her helmet and can command the nr.4's from the first doodle while hacking into a enemy facility, placing bombs, loading wheapon, sending information to her stealth ship in orbit... you name it! :)
I'm not sure yet if a really big wheapon would fit her better or maybe a small handgun...

stabbington
02-06-2007, 05:12 PM
i really like the idea of the drone/shield thing... can just see a few orbiting her a la magneto in xmen 2 ; )

keep it up!

coCoKNIght
02-06-2007, 05:16 PM
and it also fits to the cgsociety atom logo :D

coCoKNIght
02-06-2007, 06:24 PM
http://www.fabianhernandez.ch/dw/DWdoodle3.jpg

It is true, we've been sleeping a long time, and in our dreams, we have learnt much about the subconsious.
Our shadows, still half asleep and guided by their reliable steeds, possess the ability to enter any being's mind and alter it for the society's purposes. But that's not all, then the subconscious is even capable of bending reality, allowing those powerful enough to control it, to move so fast they're almost invisible - even without mind manipulation - go through walls and melt steel, to name a few.
Our enemies will lern to fear the power of dreams!

:scream:

TheFirstAngel
02-06-2007, 07:00 PM
subscribing. best of luck and have fun! ahahaha expecting 6k of pure destruction for this is wartime ^^ go go go mate!
the 3leg is priceless rofl. so weird! and the wormey thing actually is ahahahaha wormy! brimg on the dreamdoomers! :p

Imagus
02-06-2007, 09:55 PM
I have of course checked out the official site, and you haven't answered my question.Oops. I really do try not to throw general, unhelpful responses but, not quite understanding the question, I mistakenly gave you a sort of glossed-over, "well, THAT'S obvious..." kind of response.

My apologies. Let's try that again...

I'm kinda new to gameart and am a bit confused about how or if we're suposed to shade/light our characters...As the contest is a character creation contest, not just a modeling contest, then you should, in fact, both "shade" and light your character. By "shade", you should include at least a basic texture. Optionally, you may also want to include diffuse, specular, glow and (this one's very important if you want to have a chance at winning, but it's also the trickiest) normal maps. Checking around these forums and looking for online tutorials, you should be able to pick up the basics, or you can post here with more detailed questions.

For lighting, you would render the character out in the software of your choice, with all of the texture, etc. maps applied. You needn't worry about importing it into an existing game engine (unless you feel it's something you REALLY want to do... ;)) As far as lighting specifics, I'm not sure there's a specific configuration to follow... probably good, even lighting that shows that your character looks good from all angles would be best.

Hope this helps a lot more than the last response, and best of luck with your entry. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the warm welcome Imagus, Squibbit and bonzepeet :beer:"Warm"... you're quite generous. :) It's good to have you on board, mi amigo. Ganbatte! (Do your best!)

Squibbit
02-06-2007, 10:40 PM
i hereby dub #6 the 'hello' pic of the day, congrats

coCoKNIght
02-07-2007, 12:32 AM
lol Imagus, I guess I should have asked more specific in the first place... What I actually wanna know is: Are there rules for how we render our finished work? Cause it does make a difference if you throw cool shadows at your model, shine on it with colored lights, use global illumination or what-not or if you just use ambient light...
It just seems strange to me that there isn't a word about that in the rules...
But if you say no need for fancy game engines then I guess it's really up to the contestant how to set the scene up...

I really apreciate you helping me out, but you make me feel like I'm a 3d noob, when in fact I'm a noob to game art... :p

Hey Squib, what's a hello pic of the day anyway? Is it a wakeup call for #6? Does it mean that I've gone completely nuts? :scream: :shrug:

Argh... gotta sketch sketch sketch...

coCoKNIght
02-07-2007, 01:34 AM
http://www.fabianhernandez.ch/dw/DWdoodle5.jpg

#5 in action with #4s. I'll have to start thinking about names... :rolleyes:
I gave her a gun and explosives. I dunno about the staff yet... :shrug:

Imagus
02-07-2007, 02:41 PM
lol Imagus, I guess I should have asked more specific in the first place... What I actually wanna know is: Are there rules for how we render our finished work? Cause it does make a difference if you throw cool shadows at your model, shine on it with colored lights, use global illumination or what-not or if you just use ambient light...
It just seems strange to me that there isn't a word about that in the rules...
But if you say no need for fancy game engines then I guess it's really up to the contestant how to set the scene up...

I really apreciate you helping me out, but you make me feel like I'm a 3d noob, when in fact I'm a noob to game art... :p
Argh... I did it again?!? Not my intention... sorry... :(

Game art, especially nowadays, is very similar to hi-res 3D work, but with polygon limitations, and no subdivision/smoothing. Hi-res models are, in fact, used to create normal maps, which are similar to bump maps, but for real-time characters. However, there are enough differences and conventions that there is a bit of a learning curve, even if you're proficient in hi-poly 3D modeling.

There are a lot of technological bits that are good to know, many of which cross over from hi-res 3D work (UV mapping, texturing, rigging, etc), and some which don't (normal mapping). Some you may be able to get by without, but it's always good to know them, to keep all options available. In this competition, I'll be digging deep into game texturing, specifically normal maps.

Regarding rules for how to render the finished work, there aren't any that I've seen as yet. However, the guidelines I mentioned previously - basic, even illumination to highlight the fact that your entry looks good from all angles is probably not a bad starting point. Also, you may be able to glean something from the previous year's entries as well.

However, there may be guidelines posted at some point. A good place to ask about this is the CGCore Domination War forums... there have been a lot of good questions asked already, and it sounds like this would be a good point of clarification.

For now, I'm thinking I may leave the answers to more experienced game artists... I'm not really sure I'm helping things... but best of luck with your entry - it's looking good so far. :)

MasonDoran
02-07-2007, 04:23 PM
I dont see where the problem is with doing nice renders using highend effects. Most game engines are capable of rendering these now....such as shoft shadows, colored lights....and GI is easily faked. These things are not going to be able to hide the quality of the model.

Dont forget, the wireframe and texture map have to hold up as well. There is a beauty shot which is where can expect to see all of these effects.

adamlane
02-08-2007, 01:04 AM
good luck dude, look forward to following your progress

coCoKNIght
02-08-2007, 02:52 PM
http://www.fabianhernandez.ch/dw/DWdoodle7.jpg

finally managed to do a bit a stronger concept, what'ya think? Should I go with this one?
He has a jetpack on his back, maybe i'll add something winglike to the top of the armor.

madshooter
02-08-2007, 04:36 PM
I like the one above that Female concept, looks cool:thumbsup: May be if you give her some impressive weapon and a light armour with a dynamic pose she will look real cool:)

All the best:thumbsup:

coCoKNIght
02-08-2007, 06:18 PM
http://www.fabianhernandez.ch/dw/DWdoodle62.jpg

update to the latest concept.

madshooter: I'm not so comfortable with the gal cause she doesn't fit much into ancient... dunno... I've thought about putting some armore layers on top of her suit but I dunno... or maybe if I make her alien on top of that. Still that mystical wheapon is missing... argh... I'm so bad at concepting :cry:

eMysfit
02-08-2007, 09:42 PM
The newest one is looking kinda neat. I just keep imagining it in a shootout and some guy running toward him with a sword and his head extending out of the armor really fast and biting the guys arm off haha.:thumbsup: Keep up the good work!

madshooter
02-10-2007, 05:59 PM
The new concept looks cool:thumbsup: Are you planning to give him a little angry looking expression.
Rightnow it looks like he his enjoying the war:)

zeke3d
02-11-2007, 12:06 AM
i really like the gator looking dude, do you think that those things on his back could turn into some short wings?

nikudy
02-11-2007, 12:31 AM
nice concept, but he looks kind of peacefull to me, not a bloody warrior that it's suposed to be.

-claudiu

coCoKNIght
02-11-2007, 06:39 PM
I just keep imagining it in a shootout and some guy running toward him with a sword and his head extending out of the armor really fast and biting the guys arm off haha.:thumbsup:
ahahaha, good one! :)

Are you planning to give him a little angry looking expression.
Rightnow it looks like he his enjoying the war:)
I don't think these guys are good at expressing human emotions :) But if he looks like he's enjoying then war, then that's good, isn't it? Every good soldier should enjoy the war :D
Besides, I'm not sure if an angry look would go well with a winning pose... Everyone's happy if he/she wins.

do you think that those things on his back could turn into some short wings?
They are short wings, though really more decorative than something else, right now anyway. So, I'm definately gonna think about changing them so they look more purposeful, but actually I'm happy with how they look... we'll see, thanks for pointing that out!

concept, but he looks kind of peacefull to me, not a bloody warrior that it's suposed to be.
Well, that's because his race is very superior so war's not a big deal for him ;)

Hehe, thanks for the replys, I'm gonna think about what you all said and eventually incorporate your suggestions in a refined sketch but first I wanna do a dirty lowpoly model to get a better grasp of him and to see how much is possible with the 6k limit.

This is how far I got till now ~1200 polys
http://www.fabianhernandez.ch/dw/DWmodelWIP1.jpg
It's funny working with a poly limit in mind and at the same time not having to care about tris. Definately different than modeling for something other... :)

coCoKNIght
02-12-2007, 08:52 PM
and at ~2.2k polys:

http://www.fabianhernandez.ch/dw/DWmodelWIP2.jpg

Squibbit
02-12-2007, 09:08 PM
uh oh dat looks scary

coCoKNIght
02-14-2007, 11:09 PM
and at ~4900 polys:
http://www.fabianhernandez.ch/dw/DWmodelWIP3.jpg

I'm a bit stuck here. Dunno if and what kind of armor I should add to the legs and lower torso...

Squib: Not everyone can do sketches that scare the hell out of ppl... :)

XeroWolf
02-21-2007, 02:58 AM
Hahah I love the concepts you came up with for your Shadow coCoKNIght.:applause: It's good to see someone having fun with this contest. I agree with most people the gator dude is looking good but some how I feel like he's needs a little something to give him that highly advance Ancient warrior feel if you know what I mean. Something mystical...
Good luck to ya!
Go Ancients woo!:buttrock:

(http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=11062)

CGTalk Moderation
02-21-2007, 02:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.