PDA

View Full Version : Pros in the Game industry Read!

Mangled Poly
02-25-2003, 12:00 AM
From a majority of the gaming companies hiring out there… I have been reading they need level designers, what exactly is a level designer, and by this I mean for RPG games. What exactly do they do what are they poly/texture constraints? Any help on how to get a started and other info about level designing would help so much thank you guys!

RatPoiZon
02-25-2003, 12:46 AM
Level Designer = Mapper... thats basically about it.

For FPS and other real time games u'd need to have experience with either Radiant or UED, and probably need to model world objects, but I don't think thats a requirement.

For prerendered like 2d RPGs and some of the RTS games u would definately need to know how to use a 3d program and Photoshop would definately be a requirement as well.

I'd say level designers are people that work well with environments, and understand how games work/play, while not really as good at producing art as actual artists. Nowadays with so many artists on dev teams, and the numbers keep growing, so that means there is more specialization, so I'd say in near future level designers will be ones that just put all of the content together into a map (level).

If you want to get into that I'd definately check out things like UED for UT2k3 or Radiant for Quake 3 (a new version of which is used with Doom 3 and Quake 4) and a lot of companies that make games for those engines are looking for people profficient with those editors. Thats probably the easiest way to make it into the gaming industry... u'd have to be pretty kickass at mapping though. And once again if you can also model, skin and or texture that makes u that much more valuable and more likely to get hired.

Hope this helps.

Mangled Poly
02-25-2003, 02:23 AM
Maybe i frased it wrong.... this is one of the emails i recieved i took out all names, however what is it exactly they are looking for, whats a background designer do?

"an award winning developer of PC and Console RPG's, is looking for experienced modelers to develop backgrounds for one of our upcoming games. The qualifications include experience with modeling and UVing game levels in either MAX or Lightwave, with our preference being Lightwave. Creating final textures for these game levels is a plus, but not required.

This position is paid and will either be contract or internal to be determined later. We will be asking all applicants who pass initial screening to compete an art test."

ohsama
02-25-2003, 03:43 AM
It looks like they are looking for environment artists. At least that's what we call them where I work. The environment artists build the level in a 3D program and then export it with some proprietary exporter if you're working on a console game.

This is how it works at my company. Basically, the game designers
write up a design with a few sketches and ideas. They then give it to the lead environment artist, who then tells all his people what "level" they have to build and explains the design, etc.
Then everybody gets to work.

So I think this company you're looking at wants somebody who can do more than level design with the Unreal Editor. They want an environment artist or background artist or whatever the company calls them. That company might actually call them level designer but want you to work more as an environment artist. I know this is confusing, but wait until you've switched companies a few times and they call the same job 3 or 4 different things.

mage111
02-25-2003, 05:48 AM
Level Designer = Mapper... thats basically about it.

a passion i suck at lol. why cant my passions be something im good at :p.

but since you mentioned theres a lack of level designers (which i see lots of reason to contradict in the FPS genre)
i may think about honing my skills on level design and architecture... hmmm wander if the community college offers that *cough*

owell, as ohsama mentioned it could be more then just level designers they are looking for. all in all i should get back into that area, i loved quake1 + HL mappin *drool*, people spend 8months on a model these days, i spent 8months on a quake1 map lol. prolly roughing half the poly count too ;-)

bentllama
02-25-2003, 06:08 AM
there was a thread a week or so ago about level designers... do a search...

:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.