PDA

View Full Version : Interior Lighting help needed

vrljc
02-25-2003, 01:00 AM
I have an interior room scene with a few lamps. What is the best method for lighting this kinda interier situation? And how can I use floating point rendering? I have no idea what it is and I hear that is a lot faster than radiosity but u still get the same efftect.

-vrljc

proton
02-25-2003, 01:04 AM
might try point lights for the lamps.....

illustrativ
02-25-2003, 01:13 AM
i say go with point light aswell.

here is a interior im working on which i am using point light and i am getting good lighting from them.

http://uk.geocities.com/utica_2k/wip.html

Take a look. Please do not comment on the texture. That is just a test i was doing so the texture looks stretched but i was just testing.

vrljc
02-25-2003, 01:38 AM
Here is a link to see the actual scene:

Roomhttp://www.angelfire.com/sc3/myroom/images/room.jpg

I used radiosity on it and point lights for all of the lamps. I am just not happy with it. Is it the textures? Also the window frames are better....it just took forever to render this version out.....

and could I use floating point instead of radiosity?

-vrljc

illustrativ
02-25-2003, 01:44 AM
i think it looks ok, in the sence of lighting and texture. The models look square. The table to the right i can see an square edge and the lamp shade looks boxy, the sofa looks too hard needs to look more sort looking.

Willax
02-25-2003, 07:01 AM
The light from the lamps look too intense. Do you have any falloff set for them? They should be a bit softer in their light casting. You may want to play with the intensity values and maybe even the color of the light itself to warm it up a bit. Also check your ambient light setting and turn that way down, maybe even off.

PHILL_JAMES2000
02-25-2003, 09:36 AM
using Full Prescision is a lot quicker than radiosity, it's touched on in this thread;
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43440

...i used to think FP stood for floating point too, doh!

(unless it still does and no-one's told me...)

scotttygett
02-25-2003, 11:00 AM
The book says Radiance hdr and Flexible and Tifflogluv formats are all HDR/floating point.

Gotta get in the habit of using the Adobe acrobat search function.

Great example of an HDRI approach.

PHILL_JAMES2000
02-25-2003, 11:06 AM
u see, i can't do an acrobat search of the actual, physical manual, wish i could! :D nothing in the index about floating point, just Full Precision...

scotttygett
02-25-2003, 11:26 AM
The Manual pdf is a 20 MB download from Newtek, or you can get a demo disk from a dealer etc. It's worth getting.

:deal:

scotttygett
02-25-2003, 11:28 AM
Btw, Appendix p4.

PHILL_JAMES2000
02-25-2003, 11:29 AM
well, i've already got 3 copies of it, plus Inside LW7...anymore would be overkill! :)

re:appendix page 4...that's talking about file formats, not rendering types...

scotttygett
02-25-2003, 12:41 PM
And Acrobat "Edit" "Find" doesn't work? That's tough.

Sorry, but thanks much for your thread. It motivated me to take a sky ball I made with a luminous surface and turn off all my lights and go to globalk ilumination and turn on radiosity. That's pretty cool. And it worked with a flat old jpeg of clouds -- though I cranked up the luminosity to 3oo% or so.

So, "full precision" is an approach more than a function, eh?

Due to the many warnings, i rendered to a 120x80 size image.

Thanks again.

S

PHILL_JAMES2000
02-25-2003, 12:49 PM
...as i said... i have the REAL manuals, not the online versions, that's what i meant by 'physical' ones so, no matter how i try, Acrobat ain't gonna work on them beasts! :D

zaam
02-25-2003, 06:01 PM
Overall, your lighting's not bad. Definitely go with the earlier suggestion to warm it up a bit. I like using Kelvin values for most of my lights and tweaking color from there. As for those hot spots, you might want to reduce your intensity a bit, but if you're getting the kind of light you want in the rest of the scene, try reducing your diffuse values for the walls. The big thing that I think would help is to get a sense of exterior light affecting the scene. I don't see that yet, and it limits the credibility of the scene as a whole. Look at the intensity and color temperature of your background and set up some light from one of theose openings. remember to have a contrast between interior and exterior light in the cool/warm values. This will add some pop. Also, if your walls have no bump, give them a subtle texture to scatter the light. If render times are an issue, this is a scene that could probably fake radiosity pretty well, especially since you have a radiosity render to use as a go-by.

Happy Lighting.

Willax
02-26-2003, 09:25 PM
When you install LW from the disc, it also installs the REAL manual in .pdf format in your lightwave directory. This can be accessed from the start menu. I used the search function in Acrobat and found instances of floating point in chapters 3, 16, 28, 31, appx 4, 5, 6, and 7. These were relating to both file types and image types and other floating point issues within the program. Hope this helps

Naz
02-27-2003, 01:06 AM
FP.. thanks for pointing that one out. I think in the future I will only save in the TiffLogLuv format :)

about touching up the pictures. atm I load the images into lightwave when I need to adjust the exposure again. is there a 3rd party program that allows me tampering with these files and extra saved data?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.