PDA

View Full Version : Sculpting tools in XSI?

attanze
02-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Im asking this, beacouse in this days more and more 3D soft packagies are adding sculpting tools in their "arsenal". Hexagon2, Silo2, Blender 2.43, Modo (I sowit a tech preview of the next Modos sculpting tools) and maybe others are adding this kind of tools.

Beacouse XSI can handle an impresive amount of poligons, maybe more than Mudbox can handle, Im asking if is any chance to add something similar to Mudbox or ZBrush into XSI? Then, who will use Mudbox or ZBrush anymore? ;)

oglu
02-06-2007, 04:24 AM
i would use mudbox furthermore... because in my opinion a integrated sculpting tool cant have the same power as a standalone... a sculpting tool needs a unicque UI... needs permantly further development...

but simple sculpting features could help in the polymodeling process for shaping the forms...
yes...

attanze
02-14-2007, 12:52 PM
i would use mudbox furthermore... because in my opinion a integrated sculpting tool cant have the same power as a standalone... a sculpting tool needs a unicque UI... needs permantly further development...

but simple sculpting features could help in the polymodeling process for shaping the forms...
yes...

Maybe, but still are a lot of people using Zbrush.

Read this:
http://www.softimage.com/community/spotlight/bulletwitch/

"... These models were then imported into Zbrush where artists modeled high-frequency details. The resulting high-resolution models, often comprised of millions of polygons, were then brought back into XSI where artists used the polygon reduction and Ultimapper tools to turn them into game-engine-friendly assets."

So, if you want detailed meshes you need to go forward and back between at least two apps. This is time consumtion and more big files to write in DD. With an integrated sculpting tool in XSI will be more handly, less hassle, less spended time for nothing, etc.

oglu
02-14-2007, 01:01 PM
did saving an .obj file and importing it in mudbox for detailing so much time..?
i think no...

after importing the mesh to mud i have to detail it and render some displacements or normals...
a clean an fast workflow...

mocaw
02-14-2007, 08:57 PM
If you exclude color texturing, and the 2.5D tools (which I use to generate quick normal maps with NO geometry) the biggest differences between zbrush and M-box are polycount and UI. Yes there are some major advances in M-box like layers, but my main point isn't so much as to if zbrush or M-box is better, but that I agree- expecting any well rounded application (that goes from modeling to animation to render) to have as nice a tool for sculpting etc. as these applications do is in my mind ridiculous.

While some level of these tools in a general 3D program will most likely pop up at some point I can't ever see it being as extensive or forward thinking as the still theoretical zbrush 2.5 or the current version of mudbox. This isn't even looking into the future of what maybe for either of these applications.

CGTalk Moderation
02-14-2007, 08:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.