PDA

View Full Version : NTFS & Fat32

DaForce
02-24-2003, 11:23 PM
ive read thru most of the discussions about NTFS and Fat32, and there are many mixed opinions.

what im going to do is split my harddrive into seperate paritions, one for window2000, one for temp/swap files, one for appz, one for games, and one for data.

My main questions is should i format them all in NTFS? I think i will i just want a someone else opinion. The drive is a WD 80gb with 8mb Cache.

How much faster is fat32 or NTFS?

Thanks y'all

DeathCarrot
02-24-2003, 11:25 PM
personally i cant see any advantages of fat over ntfs, i would recommend ntfs, but arent really an expert in this field :shrug:

singularity2006
02-24-2003, 11:26 PM
NTFS and FAT32 performance wise, I believe are the same. The difference however is how NTFS is built in such a way that it has a "self-repairing" feature that helps reduce or prevent loss data chains on system crashes and/or failed reads or writes. On top of that, NTFS is built to with stand much more reading and writing and more data encryption protocols than FAT32. I would go w/ NTFS for a format... it's simply a more robust file system than FAT32... though performance wise, they are, I believe, equivalent.

DaForce
02-24-2003, 11:31 PM
DeathCarrot: yeah i didnt think there would be much difference between the 2, ill go with NTFS

singularity2006: righto NTFS it is. Hey you know how i said i was getting that Antec 550w PSU, well i got it this morning, they flew it to me overnight :-) gr8 service. The computer should be ready tomrrow, im just waiting on the slk800 heatsink, there have been lots of delays in getting that. I wont go into them, but i think i must be cursed or something!!! eheheheh

singularity2006
02-24-2003, 11:39 PM
the craziez... that's a lot of power... I've heard of the SLK's before... what are those all about? And do they have a drive bay version for HOT SCSI hard drives? =D

DeathCarrot
02-24-2003, 11:41 PM
SLKs are thermalright's huuge and heavy heatsinks, they're like 50% over the recommended weight for the processors or something like that, but they disperse heat really really well, the slk-900 is prolly the best heatsink out there www.thermalright.com

singularity2006
02-24-2003, 11:42 PM
gaH, that's HEAVy!!! >.< :eek:

DaForce
02-24-2003, 11:50 PM
DeathCarrot: If i plan on moving the computer around abit, taking it to friends houses and to work and stuff like that, would it be better to get the slk900 so that it screws thru the mobo, or are the clips on the slk800 strong enought.

if the slk900 is better will it be compatable with the Asus Nforce2 board ??

thanks

DeathCarrot
02-24-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by DaForce
DeathCarrot: If i plan on moving the computer around abit, taking it to friends houses and to work and stuff like that, would it be better to get the slk900 so that it screws thru the mobo, or are the clips on the slk800 strong enought. I have read from a review that it's unsafe to transport slk800s installed on comps as they may crush the cpu... so i think you're better safe than sorry with a 900 :shrug:

if the slk900 is better will it be compatable with the Asus Nforce2 board ??
I remember seeing a list of compatible motherboards somewhere, i'll see if i can find it...

DeathCarrot
02-24-2003, 11:58 PM
ahah! http://www.thermalright.com/faq_Motherboard.html :thumbsup:

ADD: if you cant be bothered to look, for the a7n8x deluxe it says you need to bend capacitors on the mobo to fit it :thumbsdow

DaForce
02-25-2003, 12:10 AM
hmm sod that, i will just use stick with the slk800, and be very very carefull if i transpost it....i will have to lay it on its back.

thanks for looking for me :beer:

singularity2006
02-25-2003, 12:19 AM
I dare someone to integrate a peltier cooler with a water cooling system. :buttrock:

DeathCarrot
02-25-2003, 12:22 AM
water cooling is for sissies! prometeia is the way to go :thumbsup: its a bit expensive though... then of cource there's LN2..

...ahem... :rolleyes:

singularity2006
02-25-2003, 12:24 AM
prome..wa? No, I said integrate PELTIER and water... =D

DeathCarrot
02-25-2003, 12:28 AM
prometeia is cooling through chilling air to the extreme using a compressor (to about -35 degrees C), very effective

info: http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/Cooling/Prometeia/

singularity2006
02-25-2003, 12:42 AM
oooh, one of those... yeah, those thigns are HEAVY AS !@#$ though!! maaan, I remember seeing one back in the day of the sub GHz and AMD had their 500 Athlon Overclocked to like 1.2 or something and to get it to run stably, they had to nitro cool it!! =D *wooT wooT!*

Peltier + water cooling is considerably lighter. ^.~

DaForce
02-25-2003, 12:46 AM
DeathCarrot: yeah but i bet its not cheap

singularity2006: hehehe integration.....do it!!!!! you could make gelaties as well. :-)

DeathCarrot
02-25-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by singularity2006
I remember seeing one back in the day of the sub GHz and AMD had their 500 Athlon Overclocked to like 1.2 or something and to get it to run stably
hehe, i can barely get my 1.2ghz to 1.3 with my current crappy ram and crappy heatsink/fan :annoyed:

DaForce
02-25-2003, 12:58 AM
well thats just crappy then isnt it :-)

DeathCarrot
02-25-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by DaForce
well thats just crappy then isnt it :-)
yeah.. :annoyed: ... I want my new comp NOW! :annoyed:

DaForce
02-25-2003, 01:04 AM
heheheh thats what im thinking...you guys interested in hearing my saga for getting my new comp? its pretty interesting

DeathCarrot
02-25-2003, 01:06 AM
hehe, go on then,
and i just noticed how many posts ive done in this forum in the past few hours (ahem... and now it's nearly 1:45) :shrug:, and tomorrow got to wake up at 8 o'clock :annoyed:

DeathCarrot
02-25-2003, 01:29 AM
quicklyquicklyquickly! :p :p me is getting bored.. the internet isn't interesting enough anymore...
but these smilies are: :curious: :arteest: :wise: :annoyed: :insane: :applause:

Chris
02-25-2003, 01:50 AM
he he, I made this one::arteest: I didnt realise they were still using it!

DeathCarrot
02-25-2003, 01:51 AM
that's a great one, but i have to say, my fav is :annoyed:

singularity2006
02-25-2003, 01:51 AM
wh0a, u did?! how cool!! =D

DaForce
02-25-2003, 01:57 AM
OK here goes.

The order is put thru on the Thursday 6/2/03 and it was confirmed, at this time i put thru another order with a compan in a different state for a slk800 heatsink and an enermax 550w PSU they said that this should be in stock by Tuesday the following week. So my plan was to get the heatsink and PSU on tuesday take it to the computer place and have them put it all together by Thursday 13/2/03. On tuesday i emailed the heatsink place and they said that it would not be in stock until wednesday, and on wednesday they said thursday. By this time the computer place had called and said that they were having problems getting my video card (hercules 9700pro) because hercules had not given any stock to their suppliers yet, this went on for a few days and then they said that they would have to order a different brand card because hercules was not giving out stock for some strange reason, so i ended up with the powercolor 9700pro card. Now, the heatsink guy was still trying to get the slk800 but it was still on back order, and it kept getting delayed. Now its the Monday 17/2/03, and im chasing up both places to make sure everything is on track, and the computer place is ready to go, but the heatsink place, is still waiting for the stock to arrive. Finally on Thursday 20/2/03 the heatsink arrives, they put it plus the PSU into an postal express bag and post it to me over night, so that it will arrive Friday morning and so that i can have my computer for the weekend....well guess what...it didnt show up. I sent him an email and he was shocked that it didnt show up and he said that we would follow it up first thing on monday morning, he finally emailed me on monday morning and he said and i quote "I have some bad news for you, I just received your package back here, the address label was ripped off and in fact the whole package looks like it was run over by something or dropped really badly, the only thing that survived was the heatsink, the PSU chassis is damaged badly, the fan for the SLK is basically destroyed. Usually in these cases we just resend the goods, however we discontinued the Enermax PSU's due to problems with our supplier, is there any way you can source a PSU down there? I would give you a refund on it. Both the heatsink and fan will be replaced by us and I can send these out right away, please let me know what you wish to do. I am very sorry about all this."

So, i now had to find a powersupply from somewhere else, i found place in a different state that was willing to fly it to me over night, that was done and now...today...im just waiting for the Heatsink that will be delivered tomorrow morning. And the comp should be all finished by tomorrow afternoon.

I will post pics of it then.

gtg to lunch talk to you's later

DeathCarrot
02-25-2003, 02:01 AM
ha, unlucky, actually im quite the opposite, the only times i ever ordered anything they end up arriving a day or two early (adsl was activated on my line a week before schedule :shrug: )

beheh, i gtg too, to sleep (2:40 now), is 5 hours of sleep enough? ah, i hope so... :shrug:

Chris
02-25-2003, 02:16 AM
It took me 2 months (no joke) to get my Thermaltake case, & when it did come in, it had a window (which I didnt ask for) & the temperature probe was busted. To date I still haven't received a replacement probe thingie (This is since mid December). Jeez, you'd think I lived at the bottom of the world or something! LOL :D

:xtreme: <---- My Fav

DaForce
02-25-2003, 02:35 AM
DeathCarrot: a week before schedule for adsl hey.....i had to wait 8 MONTHS!!!! You can see why i only update my computer ever couple of generations...cause my luck just bits me in the ass each time.

Chris: 2months for a case!!! wow that pretty bad...where did you get it from...www.pccasegear.com.au have them and they are REALLY quick!! overnight for my PSU.

and i doubt you lived at the bottom of the world, cause if you did i would see you there ^_^

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.