PDA

View Full Version : My 1st Maya Game Modelling reel

cgnetworks_le
02-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Hi everyone,

This is my first attempt to make a game modelling reel in Maya.
http://www.richardml.com/Downloads/Maya_Low_Polygon_Modelling_2007.pdf

One comment I get is I have problem balancing Quads & Tris and should work more with Quads. Do you think? I would love to hear your comments.

Thank you very much.

Arcanox
02-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Generally I like to keep most of my work very strongly quad oriented until the final phase where I check any areas that can be optimized by simply collapsing edges together. I do it because I think it makes it easier to see and manage geometry.

The vehicles you posted have some small issues. The tracked vehicle is modeled in such a way where it's treads will not be able to move unless animated by a texture, and some Technical Directors will not like that. Also the Beetle car seems to have a nice uniform set of triangles on the hood and roof of the car, but the doors are made up of many stretched triangles. It would be good to try to keep your geometry more uniform.

Your game environment work has the most promise, I think it would turn out really well if you managed to texture and light the scene. :D

cgnetworks_le
02-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Thank you, Arcanox.

I also think there are something not quite right with Beetle car's doors. I will try to re-work on that.
I know it should be that different reel for different job. Do you think I should keep the modelling reel and texturing reel seperated, or it is good to combine the two in one?

CGTalk Moderation
02-05-2007, 12:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.