PDA

View Full Version : Darken Mode

Shanytc
02-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Hi guys,
I am quite new to Painter IX, so bear with me :)
in Photoshop we can choose a brush and than set it to a mode: lighten, darken, normal..etc
how can i do the same in Painter?
I can't seem to find it within the Brush setting.

thanks in advance,
Shany.

Jinbrown
02-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Hi,

In Painter, we can't set a brush variant to one of these modes but we can set a Layer to one of the Composite Methods a list of which you'll find in the upper left corner of the Layers palette.

Painter's Composite Methods include:

Default (the automatically selected Composite Method when we create a new Layer)

Gel (the automatically selected Composite Method when we paint on a Layer using brush variants that use Method: Buildup, Digital Watercolor, or Watercolor). Photoshop interprets Painter's Composite Method Gel as Blending Mode Darken.

Colorize
Reverse-Out
Shadow Map
Magic Combine
Pseudocolor
Normal
Dissolve

Multiply (which Photoshop users often use instead of Composite Method Gel to make a Layer's white background appear transparent).

Screen
Overlay
Soft Light
Hard Light
Darken
Lighten
Difference
Hue
Saturation
Color
Luminosity
GelCover

In Painter IX Help Topics, read descriptions of these Composite Methods:

Painter IX Help > Help Topics > Contents tab > Layers

On the right panel, click the link named "Editing Layers".

On the page that displays next, scroll down and read the section named "Blending Layers by Using Composite Methods".

Shanytc
02-05-2007, 09:52 AM
thanks Jinbrown,
it does feel un-natural when u need to create a new later of each stroke mode, its more time consuming rather than a 1 click away like in photoshop.
i guess i'll have to deal with it :)

Jinbrown
02-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Hi,

Corel Painter is, in many ways, very different from Photoshop and you're not alone in coming to Painter expecting to find things you're familiar with in Photoshop.

I think you may find you won't need to use those modes as much as you may be used to in Photoshop. Painter's brush variants and brush controls give you loads of freedom to create the look you want.

Set aside time to read Painter IX Help Topics to learn about the brush controls. Then spend time experimenting with all of the brush variants in each brush category in the default Painter Brushes brush library.

You'll discover a lot that way and eventually you'll begin to feel comfortable using Painter's brushes.

Good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
02-05-2007, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.