PDA

View Full Version : Animation Reel "Opening Credits"

emailsux
02-24-2003, 09:47 PM
I am just about finished the 3D program at VFS anly a few more days left. So here is my finished Reel (except for the audio it is not final, itwill be fixed in a week) I hope you like it.

:beer:

http://www.vfs.com/~nigelc/Divx.avi

rexfang
02-24-2003, 09:53 PM
Wow......Great Job Nigel.......It's nice to see you put everything together nicely.......it's a strong piece, man!!

class 3D37 rocks:airguitar

CapnPanic
02-24-2003, 10:06 PM
i really like that cartoon style, very slicky done :)

my only complaint is that of the 1:30 long clip, about 50 seconds of it is opening/closing credits. i mean all it really needs is maybe 5 seconds in the beginning tops, plus a few seconds at the end, with the last frame being a freeze of the credits, so that any media player will show that once the clip stops.

i see this ALOT on cgtalk from various students, and i probably did it myself when i was a student. but it's really just unneeded imo, plus ads to the download time (which is already very long, since it was a 20+MB file). the file size u could probably crunch down a bit as well (i know i got my 320x240, 3 min reel down to about 8MB using divx)

now don't get me wrong, i don't mean this to be a personal attack or even really a crit at all, just a bit of advice. i just think that credits should be much shorter overall with little projects like this. and you just happened to be the one whose thread i decided to voice my opinion in :rolleyes:

the animation itself looks great :)

=kz=
02-25-2003, 12:38 AM
Nice work man congrats on finishing..
Welcome back to the "real world".
Who sings the song for your end credits?

Originally posted by Capn_Panic
i really like that cartoon style, very slicky done :)

my only complaint is that of the 1:30 long clip, about 50 seconds of it is opening/closing credits. i mean all it really needs is maybe 5 seconds in the beginning tops, plus a few seconds at the end, with the last frame being a freeze of the credits, so that any media player will show that once the clip stops.

Just so ya know, the school gives us a list of credits that HAVE to be shown otherwise i'm sure they'd be alot shorter, And its drilled into us to have our contact info displayed for some period of time at the end... eating up some of that 50 seconds you talked about.

BooRadLey
02-25-2003, 12:56 AM
Hey, I really like the way that is looking, thought I would mention one thing that caught my eye. I think you misspelled commentator in your credits.

"Jonathan Love as.... and the Comintator"

I think the right way is commentator. At least I hope so :D

Sorry to be so nitpicky but it would suck to have a possible employer see that and actually let such an error affect his/her judgement. Anyways, great job on the reel, good luck in the future.

Boo

aenema
02-25-2003, 01:21 AM
very nice, i love the animations on the paper :) seems to me that VFS and German Film School are puttin out some really good artists!

Mike Fetterly
02-25-2003, 03:26 AM
Nigel,

It turned out great! Love that first antic on the car, you nailed the timing.

Mike

MovieRelics
02-25-2003, 10:39 AM
Loved it. That was the best damn clip I've seen in a long time by a student. Originality goes a long way in my book. The only things wrong with it is a technical thing. The audio for Quin is messy. I can't hear him compaired to Woody or Alfred. Turn up the audio for him so I can hear what he is saying. Other than that, your right on.

MovieRelics

BTW,

I'm just curious how you did the renderings of the cartoons on the napkins? Plug in for Max or Maya?

emailsux
02-25-2003, 11:09 PM
Thanks everyone

Capn_Panic, as Keswick already pointed out we are reqired to have certain credits in our reels thus the lenght of credits. But thack you anyways Mabey I will change the lenght of the starting ones.

BooRadLey, Thank you for pointing out the Comintator mistake. Fixed and fixed.

MovieRelics, The audio will be fixed in a couple of days so I cant wait to get the cleand up version. I am using XSI and it is just a line shader that I renderd on a different layer and composited on the napkin afterwards.

Again thank you

ts9236
02-26-2003, 06:34 AM
Nice work Nigel! :beer:

I really love the style which has only line shading on the white screen. I love your animation as well.

Good luck :D

Ted

lmc
02-26-2003, 12:08 PM
i love ur idea so much lar.....great skill, keep post:applause:

chenling
02-27-2003, 11:59 PM
very nice animation, u did awesome job at the car animation! and also the lighting look great on characters!
have fun, nigel see u around in school

Cuttingfangs
03-01-2003, 07:34 AM
well done man.........it's so cool.......:buttrock:

wonseok
03-01-2003, 04:05 PM
:thumbsup:
u r the artist...Great work !

unlikelyhero
03-02-2003, 04:52 AM
no front page nod???? this one rocks! nigel, well done, well done! banner please!

:drumrock:

gary hsu
03-03-2003, 05:47 PM
How did this get to 3rd page eh??? 1st page, always 1st page material. I really like the car you have, so cartoony, and I love the animation on Woody, very very nice. It's 40 seconds alright, but sweet 40 seconds it is. good job, Nigel

pablov
03-03-2003, 10:17 PM
beautifull job nigel. :beer: :beer:

gogo vfs37

emailsux
03-05-2003, 02:29 AM
Thanks again everyone.
Class 37 Rocks!
Then mabey 34 or 36 or sumthing like that.
But class 37 Rocks!

Oh and The Band at the end is called "Sparse"

http://www.sparse.ca

gary hsu
03-05-2003, 03:16 AM
As a student from 36............I hate you , I hate you, I hate you..................so I will see you tomorrow??? let's go out for lunch, ok?? hehehhehe:wip: :wip:

jchoi
03-06-2003, 06:16 AM
Arrrrrrrghhh!!! I....LOVE IT!!

Sh*t, I'll say the best animation reel of what have come out of VFS so far. hmmm..why do I like it even better than my own reel???

Truly remarkable work you've done, Nigel. Congrats!!!

VFS rocks!! Yay~! :buttrock:

Gino
class 36

bones
03-11-2003, 05:49 PM
Nice touch with the line art. Really like how it all came together in the end. Woody is still my favorite and you nailed his character. Another Bar film? Thanks for the beer.

emailsux
03-17-2003, 07:05 PM
Thanks guys.
Gary, If you are paying then im there!

Gino, Thanks dude. I thought that your reel was Good too, the modles kick ass I would love to animate them!

James, Thanks The line art is my fav part too, and we will have to see about another bar film? I was thinking mabey Cheers????

Thanks again.

facial
03-18-2003, 04:47 AM
Well done, Keep post more:buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.