PDA

View Full Version : How to do this in xsi? syflex+bones? (see quicktime)

tfortier
02-05-2007, 03:36 AM
Here a link to Fly studios recent works... click on the bottom center link named SRC...

you will see a girl dancing with cables... its look like a nice rig job on those lines... syflex???

I wonder how they achieve that interaction feeling...

I saw that too in a bjork videoclip if my memory right...

link; http://www.flystudio.com/pages/003_tr_recents_fr.html

thanks
t

...mmm... syflex with consraint with lots of damping?

JDex
02-05-2007, 03:51 AM
It's a cool effect. I'd actually lean towards that being easier in 2D... or 2.5D, using b-splines and a bit of quality keyframing... I would think that a full simulation would be overkill.

Kabab
02-05-2007, 05:57 AM
You can do that very easily with dynamic curves in Maya is there something similar in XSI ?

ThE_JacO
02-05-2007, 06:39 AM
doing that in 2 or 2.5D compared to 3D would be pretty suicidal at best, as would be using individual curves.

-some tracking
-hand tweening
-cloth on a mesh pinned to tracking data
-a noise function on the mesh or some turbulence on the cloth
-key + roto of the actor
-texturing/shading to get some passes out with the lines
-finalize the look in comp
-done

very good design and aesthetics, but technically it's not anything that would have me scratching my head tbh, it's a fairly common scenario.

mdee
02-05-2007, 06:38 PM
I can only echo what The Jaco said. I had to rig a parachute few months ago and what I did was few (actually a lot) pieces of cloth pinned to the backpack and the parachute, forming conenction wires/cables. With little damping and with very little gravity it looked very similar to the effect on this commercial (minus shading of course).

mdee
02-05-2007, 06:41 PM
You can do that very easily with dynamic curves in Maya is there something similar in XSI ?
None that I know of (correct me if I am wrong I don't deal with simulation of this type on everyday basis), off the shelf, although I believe I have seen a dynamic curve plugin on xsibase.

You can use syflex surfaces and extract your curves from there tho.

tfortier
02-06-2007, 01:52 AM
using syflex surface and extract the curves? when im animating thin cable with syflex, after few moves, the polygons are not aligned anymore (entortillé? what is it in english?) (all mixed up after being rotating around each other!) and I get lot of artefacts... I wonder how can I get back my curves then...

but the animation on that one was quite smooth... with the correct setting im sure I can get it done with syflex. Still I wish we can have dynamics curves in XSI...

make me wanna do some Maya again! im motion designer... that kind of trick is priceless!

Kabab
02-06-2007, 02:02 AM
None that I know of (correct me if I am wrong I don't deal with simulation of this type on everyday basis), off the shelf, although I believe I have seen a dynamic curve plugin on xsibase.

You can use syflex surfaces and extract your curves from there tho.
I got no idea.. i'm a Maya guy..

In Maya you can just take a nurbs curve and make it dynamic, you can pin one or both ends... If you move the pinned end the rest of the curve follows and depending on your settings and motion it will stretch curl etc etc (very fast to that simulation in that example you can do in real time no issues).. You could then extrude a thin circle down the curve or use a hair style shader on the curve.... Dynamic curves are apart of the Hair system in Maya..

Does the Hair system in XSI allow you to make a curve dynamic?

dwigfor
02-06-2007, 03:16 AM
This is probably as close as you could get in 2d/2.5d - It uses After Effects and Trapcode|Particular plugin.

http://www.creativecow.net/articles/kramer_andrew/nano/index.html

withanar
02-06-2007, 03:54 AM
Syflex on a thin nurbs or poly strip, procedurally extract the curve.

mdee
02-06-2007, 06:40 PM
I got no idea.. i'm a Maya guy..

Does the Hair system in XSI allow you to make a curve dynamic?

Not at this moment, I am afraid.

But you can do what Withanar said. Make nurbs strip, apply syflex, extract curve, do not freeze it (do not "delete history"). Similar functionality, imo more control.
Sorry for being vague in previous post.

toonafish
02-10-2007, 04:35 PM
maybe this will help:

http://xsibase.com/scripts/animation.php?detail=1058

tfortier
02-12-2007, 09:04 PM
wow, thanks toonafish!

look very interresting!

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2007, 09:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.