PDA

View Full Version : Lscm?

xsitar
02-04-2007, 11:53 PM
as i just have some uv-unwrapping issues i was wondering if xsi had any lscm tools?

most 3d programs have it now since some time. even blender has it, have a look at the cool quicktime video: http://www.blender.org/cms/UV_Unwrapping.753.0.html

seems a bit strange if something like that was left out in xsi?

any ideas?

JDex
02-05-2007, 12:13 AM
XSI does not have it I'm afraid. Actually most 3D programs don't have it, or don't have a very good one. Blender was one of the first to have it, and it's really very, very good. There's a pelt mapping addon for XSI (wwwm.mindthink.de) but it's really not the same. My advise, unwrap such objects in Blender.

attanze
02-05-2007, 12:36 AM
This tool also has added in Cinema4D v10.

Sbowling
02-05-2007, 01:50 AM
I think something similar is available from the mindthink website.

janimatic
02-05-2007, 02:07 AM
and silo2 as well

JDex
02-05-2007, 02:19 AM
Yes... and Modo's is nice as well.

Unkelben
02-05-2007, 03:22 AM
...and 3ds Max, and Hexagon2 (a 100$ software)... Pelt unwrapping is definetely something XSI should do. I haven't tried the Mindthink plugin because my XSI version is too old, but it would be nice to know if it works well.

Jonathan

JDex
02-05-2007, 04:22 AM
I found Max's lacking, blender's implementation coupled with "Free" has proven a good solution.

hyenaman
02-05-2007, 04:55 AM
Hey there...
The Blender uv unwrap tools are as far as i have seen...unmatched by ant other app.
In fact i usually model in xsi...then export obj from xsi to blender.... then unwrap...back to obj and into xsi again for the rest.
It's half the time to get a sweet uv layout...man..believe me.

enjaiiii

Sil3
02-05-2007, 05:00 AM
Blenders LSCM makes UV Unwraps that surpass Modo´s one and even Wings 3d ones, so go for it, besides Blender its free.

Now the question is...why doesn´t t XSI 6 has a LSCM Unwrap feature? :wise:

bryann
02-05-2007, 05:49 AM
I use UV Layout from Headus. Best pelt mapper I've ever used.

Now if somebody could just write the XSI plugin for it...

janimatic
02-05-2007, 06:39 AM
I have just finished the XSI|O LSCM proxy preservation i|o and a new version is available :
here (http://animatic.no-ip.com/cgi-bin/silo-wiki/index.cgi?#siaImportExport4XSI) Next i should add an option to convert any any UV mp to an LSCM proxy.
The silo LSCM algorithm looks very similar to blender's , it has been implemented with the help of people from the famous INRIA.

oglu
02-05-2007, 07:12 AM
a cool way to unse blender is to define your seams in xsi first...
you only have to dettach the edges (blue edge) and after pelting in blender weld it together...
not recommended if you need the same point oder...

Gwot
02-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Bryann: Agreed, UVLayout rocks!
Sil3: I'd probably have a hard time dumping UV Layout even if soft did manage to update their UV tools. Not that I'd complain if they tried to outdo Headus though. =]

solagratia77
02-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Instant updating looks great.
I have been using Wings3D for all my UVing work
but I guess I should look into Blender for UVing now.

One Question before I download>
Can anybody tell me what keys are used in Blender for navigation?

Can I switch it to maya (qwerty) mode?

xsitar
02-05-2007, 07:23 PM
wow. i just did the blender thing. it's just awesome. can't believe how fast i can unwrap my models now.

5quid
02-07-2007, 09:07 PM
I use UV Layout from Headus. Best pelt mapper I've ever used.

Now if somebody could just write the XSI plugin for it...

Done :)

http://www.headus.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=264

just working on the transfer of uv's for us lowly gator-less fnd users, some clean up, some docs and maybe a menu item that doesn't require you to always have something selected (got carried away with the glory of seeing my menu ;))

3dtutorial
02-07-2007, 09:47 PM

just working on the transfer of uv's for us lowly gator-less fnd users, some clean up, some docs and maybe a menu item that doesn't require you to always have something selected (got carried away with the glory of seeing my menu ;))

Awesome -- thanks !

5quid
02-07-2007, 10:03 PM
you're most welcome.

It has some bugs but, at the moment i can't tell if it's my newness to uvlayout, uvlayout hating xsi uv's or the simple fact that uvlayout is beta so i should know better :)

all i'm doing is writing an obj, using a cmd line to launch uvlayout and reading one back in so i'm blaming the proper coders for bugs :D

bryann
02-07-2007, 11:13 PM

bryann = locke over there :)

You're going to make me actually plunk down and buy a license from Phil now lol. Been putting it off for ages but I think it's about time he got some cash from me for his great work.

Certainly appreciate your effort Squid. I bet if Phil had a copy of FND to evaluate from SI and he had enough orders for it, we could get a CDH plugin version. He could always just make a toolbar or PPG to take replace that GUI window. I think SI would be wise to consider working with Phil to integrate and bundle a version in a future version of XSI.

5quid
02-07-2007, 11:23 PM
heh, saving up for a license myself.

i couldn't agree more though, a true link between uvlayout and xsi would be an awesome sight and, i'm secretly hoping that soft will steal uvlayout and it's author(s) in the same way they did with Cat.

UV transfer for fnd users is going suprisingly well so exect a new (bug fixed as well) version at the weekend.

:)

ndog
02-09-2007, 03:21 PM
This was just posted in the CG News section, Roadkill LSCM unwrapper stand alone version (windows only)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=461797

solagratia77
02-10-2007, 11:50 AM
ndog,
thanks for sharing the info.

Have you been able to use Roadkill sucessfully with XSI?

If you have what, OBJ export settings do you use?

Because, when I exported a OBJ mesh and
load it into Roadkill, the obj is all distoreted.
(Look ok on the surface but all polygons have edges
connected to the center... if you know what I mean)

My current workaround is to open the XSI obj mesh in
other 3D app and re export it out... then it's perfect.

Thanks
-J

ndog
02-11-2007, 04:20 AM
I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. But I have had problems with .obj files out of XSI and have had to do the same workaround you've described, import export in another 3D package.

AngelDream
02-13-2007, 04:47 PM
ndog, he says, in the companion help doc, you can send him your mesh:

Problems?

Bugs, praise, condemnation and offers of marriage to…

SwannOTron@gmail.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/SwannOTron@gmail.com)

If it fails to work for a mesh, please send me the mesh in OBJ format.

justa-newbie
02-13-2007, 05:27 PM
5quid,

your solution works beautifully!...really appreciate your contribution, as it
speeds the workflow quite nicely. :)

kind regards,

justa-newbie

CGTalk Moderation
02-13-2007, 05:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.