PDA

View Full Version : How to preview Painter files?

fabiospark
02-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi.

Is there any way or any tool to see a preview of Painter files (.rif) while browsing them outside Painter or even at a OS level (Windos XP)?

Thanks.

Jinbrown
02-05-2007, 05:37 AM
Hi,

The followiing applies to Painter IX (IX 9.1 and IX.5) though the Preview.PIX file exists for previous Painter versions as well:

If you save a RIFF file into a particular folder, a thumbnail is created automatically and saved in a file named Preview.PIX.

That file contains thumbnails for all RIFF files saved to that particular folder.

When, in Painter, you use File > Open, in the Select Image dialog box, when you highlight a RIFF file saved to that folder, a thumbnail appears in the upper right corner of the dialog box.

If you move that file to another folder, in order to have a thumbnail, you'll need to save the file again to the new folder.

In Windows, Painter IX (IX 9.1 and IX.5) there's no way to view RIFF file thumbnails without opening Painter and following the above steps.

Some artists solve this problem by saving a JPG, TIFF, or GIF file along with the RIFF master file so the RIFF file imagery can be viewed in the JPG, TIFF, or GIFF file as a thumbnail in Windows Explorer or other image viewing software.

fabiospark
02-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks.
Unfortunately, I guessed the answer could be that one.

Now, let me ask a couple more questions on the subject:

1) Do you mean that even other Corel apps don't have a file browser with thumbs and supporting riff files? (CorelDraw for instance)

2) Is that Painter file format the so called Resource Interchange File Format (RIFF) IBM and Microsoft introduced in 1991 based on a Electronic Art's Interchange File Format from 1985? If it is, it's funny that it is not supported outside Painter.
Maybe, Painter should embed a common thumbnail when saving, like some raw files do.

3) Is there a way, at least, to batch re-save all my files to their location without having to save them one by one? I'm a Painter user since the Metacreations times so...

Thanks.

Philippec
02-07-2007, 04:48 AM
1) Do you mean that even other Corel apps don't have a file browser with thumbs and supporting riff files? (CorelDraw for instance)

Not in the currently-shipping versions.

2) Is that Painter file format the so called Resource Interchange File Format (RIFF) IBM and Microsoft introduced in 1991 based on a Electronic Art's Interchange File Format from 1985? If it is, it's funny that it is not supported outside Painter.

It's the same name, and they have some commonalities, but all and all, they are quite different.

Maybe, Painter should embed a common thumbnail when saving, like some raw files do.

Painter X does that.

3) Is there a way, at least, to batch re-save all my files to their location without having to save them one by one? I'm a Painter user since the Metacreations times so...

Not that I'm aware of, although there are some third-party "application scripters" that mimic a user clicking on buttons and stuff, and that could be itself scripted.

evanfotis
02-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Its not only the Riff files that do not generate thumbnails, but even PSD files created in Painter appear as white thumbnails (at least Painter 7 ones do) and have to be resaved from within Photoshop in order to be visible in other image browsers...

acmepixel
02-07-2007, 10:51 PM
OSX ''get info'' window will display a preview (painter 8+). Graphic Converter will preview in it's browser feature. (A must have converter utility for any digital artist)

I use iView Media Pro for cataloging all my digital assets. And it will create previews of Riff's in a catalog.

But Finder Preview (finder icons) won't show anything but the generic icon, in Painter 8. Hopefully they are finally on board with graphic standards in Painter 10.

I always save in the PSD format, for maximum compatibility.

Doqpelganger
02-08-2007, 12:36 AM
ive been looking for a way to preview .riff files in windows browser or any image viewer since years ago... on forums, internet... Even the corel image browsers cant display those files

Philippec
02-08-2007, 03:41 AM
Its not only the Riff files that do not generate thumbnails, but even PSD files created in Painter appear as white thumbnails (at least Painter 7 ones do) and have to be resaved from within Photoshop in order to be visible in other image browsers...

Because Photoshop has the option of embedding a thumbnail in the psd file, and that's what the other image browsers are using. Painter does not embed a thumbnail in psd files.

Philippec
02-08-2007, 03:44 AM
OSX ''get info'' window will display a preview (painter 8+).

That preview is only on the Mac, and it's the standard "Quicktime" preview. If you get a Windows file, or you send the file via email, etc, typically that preview is lost.

Hopefully they are finally on board with graphic standards in Painter 10.

Painter X embeds the thumbnail in the file in a cross-platform way, but the way to access it is not yet publically documented. I hope that will happen soon!

Philippec
02-08-2007, 03:47 AM
ive been looking for a way to preview .riff files in windows browser or any image viewer since years ago... on forums, internet... Even the corel image browsers cant display those files

If you look closely at the installed files for Painter X, you will see that there is a Renderer dll and a RiffIO dll (frameworks on the Mac). I hope that these can become reusable components for third-party applications to be able to preview/open Painter files. Make sure that you email Steven.Szoczei@corel.com if you want that to happen!

d@ve
07-27-2007, 01:43 PM
In my opinion, this is something that definitley needs to be addressed. I use Painter for storyboarding and whenever I need to look back at a scene number or hookup reference I have to open the previous page(s) in Painter.

As Jin mentioned before, you can save another file (jpeg or whatnot) that's previewable, but then you have to do this each time you make any changes. Not the ideal solution for something like storyboards.

I beg you Corel, please fix this.

I use iView Media Pro for cataloging all my digital assets. And it will create previews of Riff's in a catalog.

I guess this only works for Mac since I can't seem to import RIFF files into iView on my Windows XP box. Too bad.

acmepixel
07-30-2007, 04:26 AM
Unfortunately, Microsoft bought out iView from the original developers. So the future of iView is in question. It needs to be updated so that both platform versions have parity but I'm not holding my breath. I have the latest version, renamed; Expression Media, but it is identical to the iView-named version. Keep in mind that the riff file format was first introduced with ImageStudio on the Mac. Like the applications that followed; ColorStudio and Painter, iView was also originally developed for the Mac. When apps get ported to the PC clone platform, some things tend to get left out.

d@ve
07-31-2007, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the info acmepixel, although I heard awhile back that Microsoft bought iView, I wasn't aware that there was a new release. You're right though about things getting left out during ports - hence why I have PC and Mac. Sadly, my old Powerbook is a little too long-in-the tooth to handle Painter well with a Cintiq. Oh well, guess I'll just have to open a lemonde stand for some quick cash to buy a zippier Mac so I can preview RIFF files!

acmepixel
08-02-2007, 05:19 AM
Fortunately, now when you buy a Mac you also get a PC. I'm currently running Zbrush 3 (Windows only at the moment) on my Mac. Kewl.

CGTalk Moderation
08-02-2007, 05:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.