PDA

View Full Version : what would be the best assets for a beginner of LW?

addicted2_3D
02-24-2003, 08:31 PM
What would be the best assets for a beginner of LW? What would the best books, web resources, etc. should I use. any advice?

DaveCG
02-24-2003, 08:35 PM
I would reccomend the training tapes from Dan Ablan and Desktop Images. These will get you up to speed fast. Also Inside Lightwave 6 or 7 from Dan Ablan.

Dave

manfriday
02-24-2003, 08:36 PM
dans books/videos
Larry's video series is also quite groovy.
Expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

ambassador
02-24-2003, 08:47 PM
traditional skills:scream:

bigbackcomics
02-24-2003, 08:47 PM
I would second the groovyness of Larry's video courses. I am taking the character series right now, and am learning tons.

My 2 cents,

ClingFree
02-24-2003, 11:40 PM
I think you will learn even more with Paul's Lost Pencil "Just Animate" CDs. They are terrific. The time he spends with Vertex Paint alone is outstanding. You really get characters that are setup quite nicely with ACS4 and deform the way the should. The lip sync and facial expressions are just what you need to get started. The price is right too. I would put my bucks there first. If you find you still need help Larry's CDs are good too...but very expensive.

mbaldwin
02-25-2003, 02:58 AM
For modelling, I recommend Claudia Shiffer's online course. I found the section on avoiding puffy eyes with that 5am call time extremely helpful.

Also, don't miss her lively chapter on whether the casting couch is absolutely necessary.

oh. wait. never mind.

SplineGod
02-25-2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by addicted2_3D
What would be the best assets for a beginner of LW? What would the best books, web resources, etc. should I use. any advice?
Since you mentioned that youre a beginner to Lightwave.
How about an Introduction to Lightwave course that covers modeling, texturing, lighting, animating and particle f/x with over 30 hours of lectures and 3 months online support for $395.00?
http://www.splinegod.com/introtolightwave.html

One thing you have to consider is that my Character Course is not a beginner course. Its covers most aspects of Character modeling, Texturing, Rigging and Animating in far more detail then any books or tutorial CDs. The course is also not simply a series of tutorials. It comes with 3 months minimum online support where I answer questions and give detailed feedback. Ive seen courses out there that charge over $1000 JUST for one week and you have to use that time for lectures AND Lab. You dont get to rewatch the lectures over as many times as you want and ask questions and get feedback when you want. Ask Jeremy about my feedback. :)

wgreenlee1
02-25-2003, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by addicted2_3D

Talent!:thumbsup:

JVitale
02-25-2003, 06:53 AM
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

My favorite web resource. A plethora of tutorials

Bupa
02-25-2003, 08:36 AM
simplylightwave.com has some free video tutorials.

-mindcache-
02-25-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by ambassador
traditional skills:scream:

So true. :arteest: Some traditional artistic background be it figure drawing / painting / clay modeling(this one is especially nice know) It will help you an emmense amount. However it's not necesary to have but it helps a lot. Even just going out and getting a few basic books on clay modeling and getting some supplies and practicing a bit will help your brain to learn and understand objects in 3D Space which is a very important skill to have when working in LW or any other similar app. A drawing class or two wouldn't hurt either.

As for LW Specific-ness :deal: SplineGod's Training program is wonderful from what I've heard. Dan Ablan's LW 7 book is a great resource/reference. As well as the Desktop Images DVDs. I also beleive Dan Ablan has a Training CD out http://www.3dgarage.com/pages/1/index.htm

For general tutorials check this thread. http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37348

(Good Collection of tutorials including lots of beginner stuff)
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/index.html

Rabid pitbull
02-25-2003, 04:21 PM
of course the manual is the best place to start. then look at the amazing amout of tutorials on the web. that should keep you busy for months.

bigbackcomics
02-25-2003, 05:10 PM
"You dont get to rewatch the lectures over as many times as you want and ask questions and get feedback when you want. Ask Jeremy about my feedback. "

The Jeremy Larry is referring to is me Big Back Comics and to me personally the feedback is what makes the price really worth it.

I have both Inside Lightwave 7 and Lightwave Applied, and both Dan and Jennifer have responded to my inquiries very quickly and in great detail. Both books are also invaluable to me as additional reference.

But the level of interactivity / support isn't the same inherent in the difference of the two products. In Larry's course we are encouraged to upload our "homework" at every stage and get detailed feedback from Larry and from the other students. I couldn't do that with Dan or Jennifer because personally I would feel that I would be bothering them (Imagine sending the author of a book 20+ images asking for feedback on each image!). I am a high maintenance student in that I like to ask questions and lots of them.

The other thing about Larry's critques is that he won't hold back. He will tell you straight up if what you are working on needs further work or even a start from scratch. I had complete head modelled, all proud of myself cause it looked pretty good, and Larry suggested I go back to the drawing board because of a few problems with my spline cage with regards to 2d/3d reference. It wounded me mortally!, but I took the advice and revisited the entire head. Lesson learned!

Ultimately I am not selling any particular method as the best method of learning (books, cd's, online tut's, etc.).

I have tried most of the available resources out there and for me Larry's courses just fit my learning style.

Does this make it my 4 cents worth now?
:)

Thanks,

Remi
02-25-2003, 05:13 PM
Time, patience, determination,artistic talent, technical know-how, intellegence, and more time...:shrug:

SplineGod
02-25-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Remi
Time, patience, determination,artistic talent, technical know-how, intellegence, and more time...:shrug:
And, if you dont have any of these...take my course. :D

rickycox
02-25-2003, 11:56 PM
I've got some modeling tips here http://www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/

also a list of LW 3d CG etc books and videos here
http://www.suture.net/tutorials/books_videos/index.htm

suttercane
02-26-2003, 12:57 AM
hmmm wow i think some of u r acting like this guy must have no talent since he asked this question. Seems kind of wrong to me to judge him even though u have no idea what his background is. im pretty sure he knows that u need talent and an art background to use Lightwave. just a thought.

i think the inside lightwave books are great. I have Inside Lightwave 6 its very useful

addicted2_3D
02-26-2003, 07:28 PM
I wanted to thank all you guys for all of the really incredible input on the numerous Lightwave resources available to a newbie. It has been really appreciated. I am on a limited budget and certainly have a lot to chew on as far as the video courses. Cudos as well to suttercane. Talent is a funny thing. And the way I look at talent in the 3D arena is just implementing an artistic vision by over coming the technical hurtles that prevent a successful implementation. Right now I need to figure the best approach to learning the app. finding the technical limitations and how best to work thur them. :thumbsup:

So I am easily all set on the tutorials and videos side of thing to expand my knowledge, but I am still wondering what the best book would be. I've heard that Dan's been the authority for numerous years, but really haven't heard any concensus. If anyone has any opinions on what thee book to get would be I would also be as equally grateful as all of the other wounderful input I've gotten so far. Thanks again....:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.