PDA

View Full Version : ACS2/Keytrak/Sasquatch...or... Messiah?

dragonfollower
02-24-2003, 07:53 PM
I'm needing advice regarding the path I should take in purchasing software.

I'm doing animation for a live action movie which has a semi-realistic wolf-like creature as one of the main characters. The main hurdles to overcome seem to be 1) Fur and 2) Animation. I also have a pretty limited budget to pull this off with. When it comes to character animation, Lightwave by itself drives me nuts. I see basically two alternatives that I could take:

a) Buy Messiah ($595) for character work. I've downloaded the demo and so far seem to really like it. I could then find some way of using Saslite for the fur. The downside is that the fur would have to be simple and most likely one color. I haven't been able to pull off any satisfactory results so far with this method. Another alternative is that I could modify the character design so that the wolf is hairless. But this would be compromising the story and character.

b) Buy ACS2, Keytrak ($99 ea.) and with the money I'd save, buy Sasquatch ($595). This way I could do the fur and also have a semi-decent animation setup. The downside to this is that I dislike doing character animation in Lightwave. It may partly be due to my computer, but the bones seem clunky and unresponsive and getting characters setup properly is often a burden (ACS2 seems like it would help with this though). I also don't know how good Keytrak is for advanced character work.

The main thing for me would be good animation control. If I could get decent looking fur with Saslite, I'd be OK.

Any professional advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Brian Taylor

Julez4001
02-24-2003, 08:14 PM
You need to some more R & D (research and Development).
Lw should be able to get what you want fo character animation. Think about all the variables. If this is just a case of a soli character for animating, use lw toolset. You can apply multiple sas lites for different colors (up to 4) and u can clone a lighter object to give you more.

Mike RB
02-24-2003, 08:18 PM
whats your system processor, thats the main bottleneck for LW IK calculations.

Mike

dragonfollower
02-24-2003, 08:28 PM
You can apply multiple sas lites for different colors (up to 4) and u can clone a lighter object to give you more.

Very true. I'll have to mess with this a bit more. I think the main problem I have with Saslite is that you can't "comb" the hairs the way they would go on an animal the way you can with the full version. But again, there may be a way around this.

whats your system processor, thats the main bottleneck for LW IK calculations.

my CPU is an AMD 733mhz. It's pretty archaic by today's standards, I know. I'll be buying a new computer fairly soon hopefully (at least a 2.6 ghz with 516 Ram).

Julez4001
02-24-2003, 08:33 PM
Good news is that if u bought messiah, it would run beautifully on ur AMD 733. But I recommend getting a faster computer anyday. Buy Nvidia GPU. lw and messiah loves Nvidia.

DaveCG
02-24-2003, 08:48 PM
I'm not sure if Sas-Lite has fur dynamics. I use the full version and I know that fur without any movement will be a tough sell for reality.

I use Messiah Animate and it rocks!!! The connection with Lightwave is great too.

dragonfollower
02-24-2003, 09:07 PM
Yeah, the only way I could see me pulling this off with saslite is if the wolf had really short fur like a lab or dalmation.

I'm defintely going with the Nvidia GeForce though. I've heard it's a good one for LW and Messiah. So either way it seems like the way to go.

Mike RB
02-24-2003, 09:40 PM
a 2.6ghz computer will scream for LW ik, you will have no problems. I would recommend the Keytrak, SASfull and ACS4 route as long as you're upgrading your CPU.

Mike

dragonfollower
02-24-2003, 10:13 PM
a 2.6ghz computer will scream for LW ik, you will have no problems. I would recommend the Keytrak, SASfull and ACS4 route as long as you're upgrading your CPU.

Sounds good. Well, I know I'll definitely be upgrading my PC in about a month, so I agree. Keytrak will give me the dope sheet control that I need, ACS4 will take away the burden of character setup and with the full version of Sasquatch I'll have a complete setup that can handle most character work. Plus, there's always the possibility of getting Messiah later as money starts coming in. But until then, at least I'd be able to finish this project. And also, I might find that I'm happy without it.

Seems like the way to go.

Thanks a lot for the advice!

Triple G
02-24-2003, 11:12 PM
I don't know if you're aware of this, but you can't (yet) do quadrupeds with ACS4. Lukasz says there will be a quad rig coming out soon, though. (April, I believe?) Might want to have a look at The Setup Machine, too. I'm not sure how it compares to ACS4, but I think Proton was checking it out in one of the recent threads around here.

kretin
02-25-2003, 04:57 AM
That's not entirely true. The main power in ACS4, believe it or not, is the ability to save and reload rigging settings, not the supplied rigs. ACS4 currently has the ability to handle any sort of rig that you can throw at it, it just doesn't come with a quadruped rig at the moment.

And for the record I strongly suggest going the Full Sas, and keytrack route. Keytrack is great, and whether you use LW or Messiah for animation you'll still need to learn the quirks of each.

And to be honest, Saslite is really a demo version of Sasquatch and almost useless for any serious projects...

Triple G
02-25-2003, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by kretin
That's not entirely true. The main power in ACS4, believe it or not, is the ability to save and reload rigging settings, not the supplied rigs. ACS4 currently has the ability to handle any sort of rig that you can throw at it, it just doesn't come with a quadruped rig at the moment.

Ah....right you are.:wise: That's what I meant to say....if you want a prepackaged quad rig with ACS4, you won't be getting one for a while....but there's definitely nothing stopping you from making your own with it. :)

Fasty
02-26-2003, 05:05 AM
I must agree with Kretin about Saslite... I had a chance to play with the full version and in the process had my mind blown! Then I saw the price and it got blown again. If only I had a project that would warrent me buying it...

Has anyone produced any convincing dynamics with sasquatch? The examples on the website look a little dodgy to me ie: hair not reacting to inertia like it should etc.

wgreenlee1
02-26-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by dragonfollower
I'm needing advice regarding the path I should take in purchasing software.

I'm doing animation for a live action movie which has a semi-realistic wolf-like creature as one of the main characters. The main hurdles to overcome seem to be 1) Fur and 2) Animation. I also have a pretty limited budget to pull this off with. When it comes to character animation, Lightwave by itself drives me nuts. I see basically two alternatives that I could take:

a) Buy Messiah ($595) for character work. I've downloaded the demo and so far seem to really like it. I could then find some way of using Saslite for the fur. The downside is that the fur would have to be simple and most likely one color. I haven't been able to pull off any satisfactory results so far with this method. Another alternative is that I could modify the character design so that the wolf is hairless. But this would be compromising the story and character.

b) Buy ACS2, Keytrak ($99 ea.) and with the money I'd save, buy Sasquatch ($595). This way I could do the fur and also have a semi-decent animation setup. The downside to this is that I dislike doing character animation in Lightwave. It may partly be due to my computer, but the bones seem clunky and unresponsive and getting characters setup properly is often a burden (ACS2 seems like it would help with this though). I also don't know how good Keytrak is for advanced character work.

The main thing for me would be good animation control. If I could get decent looking fur with Saslite, I'd be OK.

Any professional advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Brian Taylor

b)!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.