PDA

View Full Version : Internet Sharing Problem

Pretorian
02-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Hey!

I have two desktop computers, "A" and "B", for example. I have changed the anti-virus from "A" (uninstalled AVG and changed for Avast), wich has the Internet connection attached, installed with WinXP and works as host. It shares the Internet connection so I can connect to the Internet on "B" over "A". I don't know why I can't browse, IE 6 doesn't work, Outlook works more or less to get my emails. The strange is that sometimes I can get my emails, sometimes not, Avast on "B" can't update the database, IE can't browse the web. I think that, if it would be a firewall isue or seomthine like that, I would not be able to downoad the emails anytime, but sometimes I can, why?? And, why only Outlook can do this sometimes and IE not??

Anyone can help me??

Thanks!

Fredl
02-04-2007, 08:41 AM
I don't know what the problem is. But I know that different applications communicate across the internet on different channels, which are called "ports".

It is possible a firewall could block the ports that are used by one application, but allow another application to access the web on different ports.

Not sure if that is what the problem is, but you can always try switching off the firewall for a short period to see if it improves the problem.

If you connect the internet directly to either machine, without sharing the net, do those applications work?

Pretorian
02-17-2007, 06:50 PM
Hi Fred.

Thanks for answering. A friend solved the problem for me. Seems it was a DNS server problem wich, in fact, I didnīt understand right what happend. By what I heard, it wasnīt giving a DNS number for the clients in the net.

Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2007, 06:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.