PDA

View Full Version : bunch of potentially handy scripts

wrend
02-24-2003, 06:16 PM
heya.

i finally got round to trapping some web space, and on it i've dumped a little pile of scripts i've written. thought i might share these with people, incase they may be found handy by others.

please take a look. i cant vouch for their stability, cross platformability (had ascii problems before), but do feel free to give feedback if your interested.

(if your still out there goob and awake, i finally got round to re-writting that animation stream blender that was discussed in the thread about adding constraints after animation.)

read the headers (just open them in a text editor or in script editor),

current scripts up:

animStreamBlender
Builds a construct that will blend two streams of animation, of any nature, into one. a toggle is provided that quickly flips animation streams on object to allow manipulation of the input streams in a normal manner. it really is just a means of doing two-way weighted constraints, w/o locators : you do all the animation on the obj transform itself, flipping 'target' streams on and off it.

railSnap
constrains profiles to rails for ease in meeting, and maintaining intersection requirement for railing, or other surface construction. makes editing input curves a pleasure.

targetWeld
emulates the behaviour of the 3dsMax tool - snap selected vertex to location of a second vert, and weld/merge them. an alternative tool, allowing snapping of multiple verts to targets: multiSchnap

localOrient
reorient the true local axes (cf. simple rotational offset). a thing that allows you to change where the object's axis points.

vectAlig
drop a couple of pins down to define a vector which you can then shift points to (shifted to closest point on the vector, or evenly spread along). built to aid in aligning points along striaght lines of a model.

selectRestrict
defines a list of selectables that you may only make subsequent selections w/i. eg. select a bunch of points your working on, selectRestrict them and the following selctions you make will only be w/i those points - an exlusive mask.

cvWrldLoc
chase CV(s) around with a locator (gives you a world transform on a CV's location). a 'rivet' for nurbs CVs.

OutlinerMod
a mod that adds a few extra listing methods in the outliner :
- freeze the current listing,
- list only selected,
- list only those objects isolated in viewport.
use at own risk, etc: AWmodScrit1 and AWmodScrit2, just dump them in your local scripts directory, reload/source.

kFrameRend
HW buffer renders keyFrames on selected object from the current time point on.

fcOne
wincy scrit to convert face selections into a single face, the edges of which derive from any contigious selectn border.

Curve-Surface Interesectors
cutCrvWithSrf - cut curves at surface intersections
crvSrfIntPnt - returns world intersection coordinate
crvSrfIntPntY - returns y interesection coordinate given x & z.

click through to a small pile of my scrit (http://www.users.on.net/neilandbron/)

cheers,
let me know.

campbell.

wrend
02-25-2003, 03:30 AM
bumpy.

Norb
02-25-2003, 06:22 AM
nice stuff, how does the rail snap work? do I have to select the cv's and run it or just the curves?

Norb
02-25-2003, 06:24 AM
oh wait, lol, read the script! ignore that last statement =)

Jozvex
02-25-2003, 06:44 AM
hey some of these are cool!

Norb
02-25-2003, 06:50 AM
man o man, that railsnap tool is so nice!

wrend
02-25-2003, 04:35 PM
glad people are finding some use in them! =)

im currently working on a proportional modelling tool (aka 'soft select', from 3dsMax terminology). coming along rather nicely! might be able to release it in a day or two, see how solid i can make it.

let me know of any problems.

cheers, c.

Norb
02-26-2003, 07:59 AM
If you've used XSI at all, you should try and make a tool that is the same as xsi's subdivide tool... and is there any way to make maya keep selections without having to hold the shift key to add to selections?

wrend
02-27-2003, 02:20 PM
yuh, i quite like that tool. should be fairly easy to emulate. will add that to the todo list. CSpropMod is still in the pipe, might take a little longer as i've come up w a better method that speeds things up considerably for heavier models.

could i ask people what kind of counts they generally handle on their poly cages? or just numbers of points in general where you would want to be propotionally modifying them?

shift-less selection addition: stickySelection (http://www.users.on.net/neilandbron/cgi-bin/download.cgi?download=stickySelection.mel)

hmm, and thinking about xsi, and emulating it, and the name sticky, and sticky keys, suss Bryan's dropToolEx script if you like that.

cheers, c.

mmm, that sticky sel is a little harder to implement than i thought, the hard bit being the remove from selection ... for how do you know whether absence of an item (from the last acuumulated list) in the current selection is because you've decided toggled it out of the set, or beacuse you just happened to have caught a couple of member of the previous list (and all the others are unselected). i meaning - it is easy enuf to remove stuff from the selection by the normal selection remove operations (either toggle off w shift, or remove w ctrl), but in the case where your new selection intersects some of the old, you have problems deciding what to discard. btw, im not sure if you like this mode because its a keyboard free approach to doing your selections, or because of this problem of catching members of your last selection, ..if it is that, just incase you dont know, ctrl-shft additive, no matter if there was an interesection. i cant think of the set logic to achieve this, so i'll just leave the tool how it is ...so if you _know_ your next selection will intersect your last, do it w a ctrl-shft, otherwise you'll just get the normal result of the selection you just performed.

blah.

bigfatMELon
03-13-2003, 04:51 PM
I'll explain how you can get around this selection issue... go back to using the shift key!

I mean, c'mon, just what are you doing with your left hand that is so important anyway? On second thought don't answer that. ;)

-jl

bentllama
03-13-2003, 05:05 PM
the sticky selection might be useful for a handicapped user...

...or those frequent times when my hand is in a cast. :)

wrend
03-14-2003, 12:57 AM
aint called sticky selection for nothing! :) you really only need to use the mode for a while, cause when you go back to using shift, it sticks...

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.