PDA

View Full Version : Chemical Trooper SD-04

niklmauz
02-24-2003, 05:56 PM
Heyas,

I've been modelling and texturing for about 8 months now and I feel like I'm starting to get somewhere. Anyway, enough of my life story. Here's a model I'm just finishing up - still working on some of the back of the model. He weighs in at 3130 polys and uses a 1024x1024 bitmap. I'd be grateful for any comments or crits. BTW, the gun isn't mine, it's just something I found at 3dcafe.com.

Ta, Niku.

http://www.imagemagician.org/images/niku/sd-04xtrooper.jpg

Posed with gun:

http://www.imagemagician.org/images/niku/gunnedxup.jpg

concept:

http://www.imagemagician.org/images/niku/conceptxbkgrd.jpg

sankyuu.

mage111
02-24-2003, 07:28 PM
may want to look @ the groin area, the shots shown, look like its not 'cupping' anything... its just, there persay..

otherwise im liking it alot keep up the good work

modeling-man
02-24-2003, 07:46 PM
Hey looking good here bud.
Some crits I noticed right off the bat are basically in form.
The texture is looking pretty sweet. The head is stellar, tons of detail I love it. Your concept is very tight as well.

Some sections I noticed are that the model in form looks a bit stiff. I know with some rigging he could be manipulated but what I'm trying to say is sections like the arm/elbow could be better sculpted and defined. I'm not a huge advocate on anatomy and getting all the muscles right and then telling others that they don't know where the "anticules butticus" is but a key point with the human form is that it has contour lines that basically weave throughout the form. Essentially some tweaking in from where the shoulder shifts into the bicep to then out to the outter form arm. Same with the inner thigh to the outter calf muscle. The neck as well looks like it'll buckle if they try to look hard right or left. The low-mid butt section looks a bit stretched as well. However, PLEASE realize these are very minor crits, and basically a couple pulls and twists of a vertex or two would shape this up nicely. For 3130 polys I think you could model out the belts around the leg and cut out some polys on the chest. That is just personal opinion though.
If you could put up a profile that'd be great too. If you decide not to tweak I still think this model is a keeper for sure. Damn great showing of you illustration/concept to modeling and texture. Colors are crisp but not too vibrant. Looks like you got the metal scuff down:)
Hope to see more work from you soon.
only 8 months? You are better than some in the industry!
B

niklmauz
02-24-2003, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

mage111: Yeah, I seem to have neglected giving him any genitals. Heheh. I could add a few polys and pull it out a bit. Or I could just say his tackle was shot off by a sniper. Then I don't have to do any work:p .

modeling_man: Thanks a bunch for the extensive crit. I fully take on board what you have said about contouring the arms and legs more. I was going for a fairly baggy look, but I'll have a play with the verts. I'll update when I'm done with painting the back.

Sankyuu, Niku.

Mangled Poly
02-24-2003, 10:28 PM
looks good seems kind flat wierd in some areas such as the crotch you added wringles it just looks wierd i dont know.. the whole model seems really skinny..... Im not trying to be stereo typical, by saying you need a massive strong guy, but this figure just seems adnormally skinny, IT looks nice though, good texturing and details..

niklmauz
02-25-2003, 05:14 PM
The images went down, but should be ok now. Unless I get found out for hotlinking again. Which is likely. Myeh.:annoyed:

sankyuu. Niku.

Omita
02-26-2003, 08:52 AM
Dirty up that soldure... Soldure.

Looks pretty clean. In less he is still in his packaging I think that guy needs a ass kicking.

Other then that he seem's a little plain... It's all in the textures. Keep pushing them.

-Omita

modeling-man
02-26-2003, 10:50 AM
Hmm I don't know if the model needs any MORE stuff going on with it. Perhaps, grab a dry media brush, throw it on a damn low opacity and splat around a bit..erase a little smear a bit...repeat. i think anymore trinkets and doo-dads and this guy will look more like a joke than a soldier. He's definitely too clean though, but I mean maybe he lives in a world without dust, and mud?
Keep it up and post some new shots soon.
B

Solve
02-26-2003, 11:45 AM
Looks great to me. One of the best models I've seen on this forum. Only problem I see is the crotch area, but that doesn't destract too much. And I love that clean look on the textures!

Great job!

niklmauz
02-26-2003, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Omita & modeling_man: I guess he could do with a bit of a dirtying (is that a word?). Either that or he could actually live in a world devoid of dirt and mud. And crotches.:p I'll have a play with some brushes.

I don't think I will add more actual details tho, cos he's supposed to be just a regular grunt trooper rather than the interplanetary king of gizmos. I intend to go fully out on details and intricacies (you know get really anal about it!) on my next model. Inspired by Fable, I want to try and do a rival hero with super good armour and all that stuff. A bit like Garrison from Battle Chasers. Unfortunately, I'm going travelling in Thailand from next week so won't be able to model for about 3 months.:thumbsdow I'm going to try and concept as many characters as possible for when I get back tho. I guess the delights of SE Asia might be able to lift my spirits a little...:p

Solve: Very kind words. Not sure they're justified, but thx!:)

dmbilly4
02-26-2003, 04:49 PM
awsome job. he's got everything, even a nut protector. very cool!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.