PDA

View Full Version : news in flash

waterhycinth
02-24-2003, 06:12 PM
hi yall i am some what new to flash and some what new to this forum.... I know that flash can use a .txt with a dynamic text box to produce easily updatable news. I want to do something different. I want it so that some one logs in and then certain ones can change the news from text field and then they are used on the main page that shows the time and author. I know that there is a log in tutorial, and probably some where a time tutorial online somewhere so I can do that. My problem would be how to get their "nickname" and what they type in to show up on the main section for news. I don't have a working example because I don't think I know of one around. I don't have much knowledge of php and mysql but I have those features with my host. Also, the only coding I know of right now is HTML. I really could use some help. Thanks in advance.

knebbes
02-24-2003, 06:18 PM
i don't have the time to explain any details right know, but i'd make the admin area where people can write news in HTML/PHP/MySQL and a php script which returns the news as a file which is readable by flash.
so its basically the same for flash as it is for a usual html news system and i'm pretty sure you'll find some tutorials on that topic

waterhycinth
02-24-2003, 06:35 PM
ok, umm... i don't think in html there is a way for a person to create like a text field and then it shows on another page? or am i wrong. also i will look about that php code that might take what they type in and make it a variable and then flash retreives that variable. is that a good way to go about it?
thanks

knebbes
02-24-2003, 09:41 PM
if you don't have a clue about what php can do i recommend you to read the php manual http://www.php.net/manual/en/ or some tutorials.

as i said i would do the admin-part where people can write news in html/php. its saver, more flexible and easier to do than if you'd do it in flash. so all you need is a php-script that checks a username / password and writes the news into a MySQL database and one that reads the database and returns the news as a .txt or even better a xml file which again can be read by flash.

edit: i just found this tutorial / .fla: http://www.flash-db.com/GuestBookTut/
its a guestbook, but its not a big step from a guestbook to a news system.

waterhycinth
02-24-2003, 11:16 PM
hey thanks. i will look at that. i am sort of holding back on learning php for a while because right now i am trying to learn flash. and i'm off. thanks yall

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.