PDA

View Full Version : Are all DSL modems the same?

singularity2006
02-03-2007, 06:30 AM
I have a feeling my old Speedstream 5260 is dying so got a semi-new Speedstream 5100 off of eBay. When I plug in the 5100 into the outlet and get it running, all the indicator lights go green indicating proper alignment with the DSL signal. However, my router is unable to establish the PPPoE connection for my ADSL. Switch back to the 5260, it works fine. When I talked to ATT tech support, they said I needed the Enternet 300 software to get the modem "initialized" with the network properly. Unfortunately, I don't have that software so downloaded a different version, which gave no results. That said, do I need to get the ATT supplied software? Or is there something I am missing that will prevent this from working?

And last point, this was originally a DSL modem used on MCI's DSL network.... I don't know the ins and outs of the different DSL standards, but is there a standards conflict?

imashination
02-03-2007, 02:53 PM
sounds like they limit the connection via the modem MAC address, this software registers this address with them. youd likely have the same problem with all modems.

singularity2006
02-04-2007, 04:46 AM
sounds like they limit the connection via the modem MAC address, this software registers this address with them. youd likely have the same problem with all modems.

hhmm... damn, yeah. Because I know this is an issue with Comcast cable modems, which generally need to be registered first (at least, that was how it was earlier on). But that would be pretty odd too because Netgear sells all in one DSL modem routers now too, and it would kind of defeat the purpose of selling such a product.

I think I might just try ordering the actual Enternet software from SBC/ATT to test assuming the software itself is not too expensive.

lots
02-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Even though you can go out and buy cable modems, etc. You still have to register the mac with the ISP. I don't think your ISP would just provide service to anyone with a cable modem ;)

CGTalk Moderation
02-05-2007, 08:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.