PDA

View Full Version : LOD UV's question

Cyborgguineapig
02-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Hello, I have a question about LOD knowledge as a required skill. Recently I have noticed an increase in Job descriptions listing LOD. I understand that it is basically levels of detail or mesh density versions according to distance from the player. What I would simply like to know is how artists make lower versions of thier models without disturbing UV mapping information? I know in Max you can stack modifiiers and delete edges (sometimes) without messing UV's up but if you try and weld two vertices it usually does end up messing with the UV. The "preserve UV" option box under the edit poly's drop down menu is iffy and seams to work only sometimes. Is there any knowledge, links or tips you can give on creating LOD models?

Tumerboy
02-02-2007, 11:32 PM
in my experience LOD UVs are handled pretty much as you mentioned. Deleting edges, welding points etc. And if the UVs get ****ed up (as Max & others tend to do ) then you go back and tweak UV points until it matches back up.

itsallgoode9
02-02-2007, 11:41 PM
well, unfortunatly, LOD work can mean alot of UV cleanup. here at work we use maya and this has been our method for making LODs for the environmenet stuff.

1. Original Model
2. Build low poly shell around original model (means starting from scratch)
3. do an automatic UV layout
4. use Surface Sampler to bake textures and AO from high res into a single texture for the low res.

of course, this isn't a workflow that can be used for everything, but it is an extremly fast way of creating very effective, very low poly LODs.

Tumerboy
02-03-2007, 12:29 AM
That's a pretty good method. . .I should figure out how to bake UVs from one mesh to another & AO at some point. . . Oops, out of time, back to crunch :P

Gamedev
02-03-2007, 01:28 AM
Don't forget to check the 'Preserve UV's' option under editable poly in max. This almost eliminates the need to re-unwrap. Just be smart about how you down rez your objects. Hopefully you don't have to make too many LOD's either.

With our current project I don't know that we make many LOD's. This becomes a larger issues though when working w/ large open environments. Mip mapping then takes over and then your low-rez mesh is loaded.

Good luck!

-t

Tumerboy
02-03-2007, 02:32 AM
ya, preserve UVs only works about a third of the time for me. Most of the time, it doesn't seem to do anything.

Cyborgguineapig
02-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the helpful responses.

CGTalk Moderation
02-03-2007, 11:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.