PDA

View Full Version : ikJoe rig

hoochoochoochoo
02-24-2003, 01:41 PM
Having spent all weekend translating the ikJoe rig that was posted on the mailing list back to v8.5 (it was originally meant as a 9.51e and up) I want to know who to thank - was it Anzovin studio or Rick May for the original Max version. (The AM version was done through the set-up machine)

It works great.:beer: :beer: :beer: Still testing but I'll pass on final results if any other 8.5 diehards exist or are interested. I personally am now getting off the bash 9.5 train. Cheers!:beer:

JTalbotski
02-24-2003, 02:00 PM
I checked the list archives and it was Dieter Wagner (kungfudork) that translated it to A:M.

http://www.kungfudork.com/IKjoe.htm

kungfudork
02-24-2003, 03:52 PM
hey, i'm glad you are enjoying the model. i need to look through my files......someone on the list took the model i translated and cleaned up the mesh and chagned the colors(can't remember the name off hand)....now i can't remember if i put it on my site or if the original one i did is up there. i will post it up as soon as i find it!

the original max version was done by daniel martinez lara
www.pepeland.com (http://www.pepeland.com)

kungfudork

hoochoochoochoo
02-24-2003, 04:32 PM
the man himself!:D

Once again, many thanks. I got frustrated in v9.5 when trying to apply smartskin so made the decision to take it backwards to v8.5. At least I understand poses and smartskin there!

torpro
02-24-2003, 08:06 PM
maybe we should start a group for AM 8.5 users, sort of like owning a vintage car, stay with something we know and love, still get from A to B, and realise features and effects are like attractive icing on a cake.

Dearmad
02-25-2003, 03:12 AM
hoochoochoochoo,

I know I'd be interested in seeing your translation of this rig. I'm pretty comfortable with the rigs I've developed for my short, but am always looking to learn more!:thumbsup:

Here's thanks in advance for your efforts, and let us know when you got it worked out.

-another 8.5p user... probably for two more years at least. ;)

hoochoochoochoo
02-25-2003, 09:14 AM
"maybe we should start a group for AM 8.5 users"
I'm up for that. I still find 8.5 more natural than the later versions and I for 1 don't believe you get more buyers by making things more complex to use.
I'm not saying the software should stand still or that its capabilities should be lessened but making me do handstands to do what I did standing comfortably before is not what I look forward to.

"I know I'd be interested in seeing your translation of this rig."
I don't own the rights to this rig, nor would I try to keep to myself. I am happy to share - there's only 1 constraint I haven't been able to transfer over but the rig works great even without it. (I KNOW you shouldn't have spare parts left over when you put your car back together but...)

Now, what's the best way to share this rig with other 8.5 users? I've posted stuff to Animation Pitstop before but Mike has a VERY busy life and doesn't always have time.

Dearmad
02-25-2003, 05:52 PM
If it's not a huge file (say about 200k or so) I could host it. At least to start until it gets itself a home- or if Mike's not responding. PM; me let me know.

Is it just the bones with constraints set up?

LOL about the spare parts.

hoochoochoochoo
02-25-2003, 06:24 PM
129k uncompressed. Re AnimationPitstop - I unsubscribed from the main list last month so I wouldn't know if Mikes active or not.

I have a bones and constrained set-up and a sample model file. I suppose a basic bones set-up is more usable as people can just cut and paste as required. (I actually find pasting a mesh into a rig works best or important bits get left behind.):hmm: :hmm:

Spare parts- what can I say? I'm actually off home now to work on it but can post whats ready when anyone wants.
Bye for now!:bounce:

hoochoochoochoo
02-26-2003, 09:16 AM
Solved remaining missing constraint - I'm ready to upload ikjoe to whoever wants or will just get some temporary freebie web-space for this purpose.

I have some remaining questions first.
1) Am I right that only vs9 and above allowed you to set a pose to "automatically on?" i.e. when you opened an action window, the pose or relationship was already set.

2) Did the pc versions of 8 or 8.5 allow you to set bones to visible or non-visible in the pose windows?

I ask as once I got to try AM on a pc (versions 8 and 8.5) suddenly a whole lot of things I couldn't do on a Mac where available. I could never ask this on the AMlist or I or anyone who replied would have been banned. I've worked on the 8.5 version of the ikjoe rig both on my pc and my mac and noticed the differences but wasn't sure if I should now work only on my pc to get those last subtle tweaks done.
:p

Dearmad
02-26-2003, 09:25 AM
1) I could be wrong but 8.5 doesn't have this. Too tired to boot up AM and double check right now, must sleep.

2) Yeah 8.5 does have this, not sure about 8.0 though. Draw mode tab of the properties.

3) You're BANNED from the forums! ;)

amsmf
02-26-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by hoochoochoochoo
I'm ready to upload ikjoe to whoever wants or will just get some temporary freebie web-space for this purpose.

I might be able to put it on my site for you. Let me know if you are interested.

amsmf@lycos.com

hoochoochoochoo
02-26-2003, 06:14 PM
I have sent out a zipped file for hosting - check back for details from the kind host but in the interim-

Pose 1- all constraints on, both arms inverse kinematics
Pose 2- all constraints on but left arm forward kinematic
Pose 3- all constraints on but right arm forward kinematic

to be added
Pose 4- all constraints on both arms forward kinematic

Sorry if that seems complex but I wanted to remain true to the v9.51e ikjoe settings. Pose 4 is an extra. This model should work with v8.5.

As I said at the start, it's a very useable rig but I find it surprisingly simple to understand. I should really post a read-me but that will come in the next upload.

lol guys 'n gals:love: :love: :love:

sketchyjay
02-26-2003, 06:57 PM
I can host it at my site as well.

I've hosted stuff for other people in the past as well so it will be no problem. I also have 15gb of traffic open a month so it wont put too much of a hit on my webserver

jay

Dearmad
02-26-2003, 07:24 PM
Ok, it's up at:

http://www.applesnake.net/IKjoe_Rig.zip

And if this little 40kb file generates over a Gig of traffic on my site, I think I'd have to demand the MILLIONS of users hiding in here show a little more overt support of AM. :cool:

sketchyjay
02-26-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by kungfudork
hey, i'm glad you are enjoying the model. i need to look through my files......someone on the list took the model i translated and cleaned up the mesh and chagned the colors(can't remember the name off hand)....now i can't remember if i put it on my site or if the original one i did is up there. i will post it up as soon as i find it!

the original max version was done by daniel martinez lara
www.pepeland.com (http://www.pepeland.com)

kungfudork

I had cleaned it up and posted on the list a while back. Have to find were it's stored on my site.... I'll post a link as soon as i can find it.

Is anyone interested in if I tried giving it a basic face. A mouth with jaw bone and some simple eyes? Was thinking about adding these to make it a little more useful for showing some facial emotion while animating

Jay

hoochoochoochoo
02-27-2003, 09:27 AM
OK, just posted off the final version with all 3 constraints poses and a 4th-
"Pose 4- all constraints on both arms forward kinematic"

I've removed all the little personalising bones I'd added (rollarm bones and a couple of fanbones) so you can add whatever you wish to the basic set-up.

Only other thing I can think of is to more clearly re-name the skinned or geometry bones so that anyone not really familiar with applying some-one elses rig to their own model knows which ones to use.:lightbulb

If the final version is what you're after please wait till Dearmad has uploaded and then posted on this thread. Let me know if there are any problems please! If I may risk adding - feel free to shoot me down for the translation...;)

Forgot to add- being new to AM on a pc I still haven't worked out how to show bones for a specific pose so if anyone feels like adding that touch and then re-posting the file I for one will appreciate it. This of course doesn't affect how the rig works; it's just a showy thing.

sketchyjay
02-27-2003, 08:54 PM
I uploaded the clean version of IK Joe in 8.5 model format. Once I get the Bones file i'll combine them.

I noticed the previous bone file had 7 spine segments while joe has only 4 blocks that make up his torso.

Can I remove spines 6~7 without a problem? or can you fix this?

file: ikjoe_clean_8.5.zip 56k (http://www.byjason.com/downloads/ikjoe_clean_8.5.zip)

Jay

hoochoochoochoo
02-28-2003, 09:07 AM
sketchyjay
As this was a direct translation of kungfudorks 9.5model I kept the spine segments he used. Sooo- presently spine 6~7 are actually constrained to the middle spine and torso by percentage orientation.

Spine 7 at present is also a parent to the various bone chains.
I suppose one way of dealing with this would be to get rid of bones 4~5 rather than 6~7.

I- just checked.. (and re-edited again) my eye's are tired. I understand your post now. My apologies - I really am a fool at large...

Ah well, I'll have a look at your question again this weekend after I get some fresh air. Been looking at rigs for too much this week!:beer:

sketchyjay
02-28-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by hoochoochoochoo
sketchyjay
As this was a direct translation of kungfudorks 9.5model I kept the spine segments he used.

Okay I'll look at the old one to see how he connected the body to the bones.

jay

hoochoochoochoo
03-04-2003, 07:00 PM
hi sketchyjay-
let me know how things go. I fully understand your post now and have to give some warnings

1) in translating the rig back to some 8.5 models I've left out one of the finger joints per hand. (easy enough to add back in) as my character models where 3 fingered (I know, I know)
2) the fingers use roll orientation for bending and are unlike the 9.5 rig. One control bone still does all the work.
3) most of the proportions are from the last model I installed the rig into- that's why your post completely threw me Friday... I wasn't expecting a "joe" mesh.

Seems like the interest died down (or 10.5 really does fix all the old problems) so I won't be posting any upgrades or readme files unless requested. No point boring people with unwanted info!

see ya!:buttrock:

ewdean
07-04-2003, 06:44 AM
I've got the clean version of this model and the rigged version for 8.5, hoochoochoochoo, which bones are the geometry bones?

hoochoochoochoo
07-07-2003, 12:21 PM
hey ewdean!
apologies but I lost track of recent IJkoe posts - I'll dig the originals out, have a look and get back to you.
--
thanks for the private message ewdean, if there's anyone else on 8.5 wanting a rigged up IKJoe let me know and I'll find someone to host the zip for me. It's about a 120kb file. Should be ready by sometime late next week.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.